When your body is telling you something

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
Hey geeks long time no see :) hope ya'll doing good :)

I won't be in the beauty industry forever because I have always wanted to do this other thing and I am taking steps towards making that a possibility starting with going back to uni to study a subject I want to put to use. This is all going to be self funded because this is a postgraduate degree.

So basically all beauty work I am doing now is to fund uni. I am currently working in a spa and I like it and the people as far as working in spas go but the pain I'm getting in my back means that I have only been able to do part time which consists of one full day plus the odd extra bits here and there. However the back pain and general discomfort I am feeling from just that is now becoming too much for me in that I feel put out for days and am sometimes brought to tears (although maybe more from the frustration and fear of another full column rather than the pain itself some days).

I am going to ask to cut my full day to a half day because I would still like to earn some money but should that not be possible I don't know how to proceed because I can't keep putting my body through this but I know how hard it is to find a sit down office type job to the point that I've never been able to get one.

I'm getting close to be able to cope with paying for things if I gamble on being able to get an xmas temp job by the time more uni fees are due. I'd be disappointed to give up a small but steady income from my spa job but I am suffering a lot more discomfort here than when I started in the industry.

I've always known that spa work is a job with a shelf life but I'm struggling to draw the line between what is an acceptable amount of discomfort and when it really is time to call it a day.

PS my massage technique is very competent but we're talking a lot of massage here as you spa girls will know :)

What would you do?

Edited to add context...my other half pays for all the bills that keep me going on a fundamental level but I may not be able to keep my car if I stop working in beauty....much as I could get on without it I would be very sad to sell it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back