Where am I going wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creativexox

Reaction score
Morning!
I'm posting this in hope of some unbiased opinions.
I'm trying to run my own hair extensions business, and to say things have been quiet would be a massive understatement!
I have tried everything I can think of, giveaways, asking people to share my social media pages, advertising everywhere I can think of (even my local shops) and so far I have only had 2 clients..
At first I was getting lots of interest and bookings for consultations but not one of those people who booked actually showed up.
What annoyed me the most about this is that I'm offering my services at a largely discounted price so that I only make around £10-15 profit all for the sake of building up experience and a good portfolio.
I get rude messages on my Facebook telling me I am either too cheap or too expensive!? I genuinely feel like I can't win.. I have asked friends and family to help me by letting me fit extensions for them for the photos and so far only my mum has said she wouldn't have a problem with it. But I now have to find the cash to pay for the hair for her when I'm not making any money.. I have given myself until the end of July and if I have no real interest by then, I'm going to take down my pages/accounts and stop advertising just to take a step back and reassess the situation.
What would you honestly suggest? I would happily endure the rude messages and texts from people if I was getting some clients in, but I'm not so at the moment it feels like I'm only experiencing the crap that comes with having a small business and no advantages whatsoever lol! All I am trying to do is carry on a career that I am passionate about whilst I care for my kids too but at the moment it seems the odds are stacked against me.. any advice? Xx
*I have been advertising for 8 months now

Your post displays a common dilemma.

May I ask...?
Why did you decide to train in hair extensions?
Did you see a gap in the market locally?
What else can you offer potential clients?

If you choose to set up in business offering a service in an already fairly saturated market, you need to offer something unique that will make clients with money choose you over their current provider.

Clients aren't remotely interested in why you're doing it or how 'passionate' you are.
They want something that suits their needs.

You need to focus on who is your target market and work out how to woo them.

Thanks, I can see your point and I did do my market research before spending money on my courses.
The hairdressing side (colour/cuts) is fairly over saturated in my nearest town however, there are gaps for hair extensions and not many techs in the area I live.
The problem I am having is people willing to book in with me due to the lack of before and after photos, which I can completely understand as when I myself am looking for services I do like to see previous work.
Just going to keep going for now, I have a couple of consultations booked so fingers crossed they turn up.
Think I will take your advice though and look into making my services stand out to potential clients x

Hiya,
AcidPerm is right, is it something that needs to suit their needs.
I wonder if hair extensions isn't the right path in the current climate, inflation is on the rise and wages aren't meeting it, so people have less money to spend.
It's likely in the area of hair they're considering more essential work like cuts and maintaining colours.
I think you should stick at it because as you said there aren't many techs doing it in your area but definitely try to offer some inbetween cheaper services, cuts, braiding, bridal hair.... maybe eyelashes or waxing... you just need a little something alongside to help keep your business ticking over.
Good luck with it :)

As you're also a hairdresser, is it worth targeting the brides/special occasion/prom market in your area?
You could advertise via bridal fairs?
Maybe run a special offer for a prom or wedding trials and use these as an opportunity to take your before and after photos.

Thank you,
As you're also a hairdresser, is it worth targeting the brides/special occasion/prom market in your area?
You could advertise via bridal fairs?
Maybe run a special offer for a prom or wedding trials and use these as an opportunity to take your before and after photos.
Thats a really good idea, I'm going to draw up a few offers/ideas :) x

Latest posts

Back