Where are all the GOOD nail technicians???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisenewell

Reaction score
Long long time,years actually,since i posted and dont know ANYONE on here anymore but here goes.....

WHAT IS IT WITH STAFF???? Must be ME!!

When i have had good nail technicians....they just...dont turn up to work....thief out of my till...or their nails are shockingly bad and i spend hours retraining them myself....

WHY IS FINDING GOOD STAFF SOOOO HARD.....

All i want is a part time nail technician to work two days a week..turn up for her clients and do some wicked kick ass nails......HONESTLY...ITS LIKE LOOKING FOR A NEEDLE IN A HAYSTACK......

None of my recruitment ads on here get any replies....

IT MUST BE ME......

four years and STILL searching.....:sad::sad:

Wish I could help but I live in SA and all I can advise is let them show their work and get references from clients and previous employers before u even consider them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hello and welcome back. Remember me??

All the really good ones are working making money for themselves and not on here on and off all day like the elderly and retired ones like me. :D I remember the days when you had time for geek!!

If someone is really doing kick ass nails they are going to be doing it for themselves unless you give them a piece of the action and let them booth rent.

I hear you are loving Shellac!!!!

hi louise , gosh its a long time since i seen you about , lol , nice to see you again tho ...
have you tried contacting creative for a list of techs in your area ?? am sure there used to be a system that did that so you could be found if a job arose ... take the bull by the horns and contact some , am sure there will be some ace techs that would love to rent a chair from ya xxx

I remember you too Louise and it is nice to see you back. I know what you mean about trying to find a nail technician. I thought we had cracked it when we had a tech with 6 years experience rent a table from us. she couldn't even do a rebalance after 6 years - she only used clear acrylic and then polished the french tip on. She left after 6 months because clients weren't coming back to her - I wonder why?

Im a little upset at what geeg had said. i have been at home for 7 yrs with my boys doing nails on and off when i can fit them in. My husband has a job that has a lot off call outs. It left very little time for me to work and over the yrs i let it dwindle. Clients can be vey demanding and i had to put my boys 1st. The last 3 yrs i have worked in my living room (doing gel due to the odour of acrylics) whilst one at school and the other watching tv. (my 3 yr old has taken to doing his nails in felt pen). I have no spare space or not much money these days. I Knew i had to go back to work when my son went to pre school and top tell you the truth it scared me. its alright doing the ones that i have done for years Some for 10 yrs or so), but back in a salon and doing acrylics. I HAVE BEEN ON HERE ON AND OFF ALL DAY SOME DAYS. I have learnt a lot got a bit addicted. but it made me feel better, prepearing myself to get a job. ANYWAY I DID went for a trade test did pink and whites in an hr. Got the job but had to do work through the school holidays. I couldn't do this as nursery fees are too much. They phoned me back a wk later saying they could work around me. So some of the nail tech on here are ok, but a little insecure as they have been stuck at home with the kids. maybe limit looking on here to.

Oh dear in trouble am I? Apologies.

I can't see how anyone can take exception to a light hearted remark that in general is actually true. Perhaps I should have covered every single individual case scenario there is for the good ones who work around other commitments lest I upset someone? In general then ... most of the talented, exceptional, entrepreneurial nail techs are working for themselves and not for others. I hope that does not upset anyone unduly.

sorry but i did take this to heart when i 1st read it, silly eh. I am working for myself in somebody else's salon on a percentage bases. I couldn't afford not to.so when i said got the job i should of said "got back into a salon" back to the original post, yeah maybe rent it out as the others also suggested.

i feel your pain. . . . it is a nightmare!! ive had a salon for over nine and a half years and have come across the same problems as you. I agree with geeg, the good techs that have the same passion as you will be or want to be working for themselfs. Ive found rather the paying a tech by the hour you attract the more serious techs by renting a desk or doing profit share and when first taking somebody on a 3-6 month probation period is a good idea

As a salon owner I know how hard this is.
My techs are all home grown,but as they grow so do their family commitments and at the moment they are all part time.
I`m absolutely not moaning as they are great girls but I dream of finding a full timer,especially one that will take a bit of the responsibility.Yep,it`s most definately a dream.....
I pay well,the whole renting a chair,self employed thing seems a none starter for my salon,they all like a regular salary.
Like I say,not moaning-they all turn in,work hard,etc, so should be thanking my lucky stars.
Never the less I do sympathaise and am still dreaming........

I suspect the good nail techs are hiding in the same place as the good hairdressers!

I agree with Geeg, as usual well said!!

I used to be on here all the time - I am now too busy and only pop on here occasionally. Been reading all about Shellac today. Cant wait to get my kit.

Julie xx

Latest posts

Back