Where can i do a quick course in basic hairdressing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisatrendy

Reaction score
I want to do a part time or a quick 3 day course in the basics of make up. I also want to do a course in hairdressing but dont want it to be a year course as i work full time. Can any one recommend any good sites or colleges that offer the training i require?

Many thanks! x

oh and in the London area! x

i am a hairdresser and would like to know how you expect to learn even the basics in hairdressing in less than a year

To me I dont think a 3 day course is enough?
I think you would be better of looking into evening/weekend classes at local colleges, they are run over a minimum of a year. Taht way it would still fit in with you working full time

There is no 'quick route' to training in my opinion. You could come out learning nothing then have to pay again to do a course over a longer period of time xx

Yes i understand, i just wondered if there was a course that just taught cutting hair, not colouring and covering reception etc. I just want a basic course in cutting, would that take a whole year?

By your profile, it says you already do hair.

Why would you want to take a "quickie" course of less than a year?
That is like a attorney (lawyer) taking a "quickie" course in law and then going and defending a innocent person that is in prison for murder..That innocent person is screwed from the get go having a lawyer like that.
If you are going to do it..do it the right way.

I don't even think there is any where where you could do a quick course.

Yes i understand, i just wondered if there was a course that just taught cutting hair, not colouring and covering reception etc. I just want a basic course in cutting, would that take a whole year?

Even the Basics of cutting hair takes alot of time. There is alot more to know then how to pick up a pair of shears and cut the hair off. You need to know the structures of hair, head shapes , skin, muscles, bone structures etc. for those who color hair. both sides work together. You need to know the basics of haircoloring to work the haircut into the color that someone else might do.
And once again, i am really sure if there is any type of courses out there that actually do teach haircutting only.

One day cutting seminars are available to stylists Jayne,they usually cost around £100 and gain you an advanced cutting certificate (run by wella etc) and can be classed as cpd.

Thanks god they are not available to a novice :!:

Hth's xx

One day cutting seminars are available to stylists Jayne,they usually cost around £100 and gain you an advanced cutting certificate (run by wella etc) and can be classed as cpd.

Thanks god they are not available to a novice :!:

Hth's xx

i just wondered if there was a course that just taught cutting hair, not colouring and covering reception etc. I just want a basic course in cutting, would that take a whole year?
Hi Becki, Apparently she doesn't even have the basics down yet...I know about advance cutting classes. they have those over here too. :wink2:

Jayne we just seem to be laughing at one another today :lol: for being a little slower than ususal :D

Two answers in one
My daughters, would you trust her to took after you after a major operation, if she had done a "quickie" nurseing course instead of a 3 year degree with plenty of hands on experience in all areas of a hospital?
My answer, there is no way I would let someone cut my hair who had not done the whole NVQ course and had salon experience and you'd better believe I do ask to see the certificate when I go to a new hairdresser.
We are Profesionals here, thats not meant to be offensive its just that my understanding on hair dressing is that cutting is a complete course, and then you go on to do colouring, perming etc. Same as us nail geeks.

Jayne we just seem to be laughing at one another today :lol: for being a little slower than ususal :D

Better laughing than crying..:Grope:

Thank you for all your replies, when i got taught how to do hair extensions they taught me how to cut but i'm not happy with the way that they taught me. I just wondered if there was a course in cutting to define whether i am doing it right or not. I just worry really. I understand that NVQs take years and it is something that i am going to do in September but i guess i was just looking for a course that taught cutting only just so i can see if i am doing it right.

the trouble with cutting hair once extentions have been applied is that you have a basic hair line as a guide and apart form a basic one length or slightly blended cut the clients dont really want alot else as most time they want extentions for lenght but in real hairdressing hair texture growth patterns and condition of hair are facters to what styles are suitable or achieable for that client

Hi Cuteycalls, yes thats exactly what i mean, the hair is mostly done for you so when they taught me how to cut its bound to not be the same as cutting normal hair. I think i am going to do my NVQ in hairdressing, do they do part time? Is there other courses as well as NVQs that you can do that is recognised within the hair industry?

when i got taught how to do hair extensions they taught me how to cut but i'm not happy with the way that they taught me.

Was your hair extension training a short course if you don't mind me asking??
They can't go too in depth unless you are willing to spend a long time learning Im afraid! xx

Thank you for all your replies, when i got taught how to do hair extensions they taught me how to cut but i'm not happy with the way that they taught me. I just wondered if there was a course in cutting to define whether i am doing it right or not. I just worry really. I understand that NVQs take years and it is something that i am going to do in September but i guess i was just looking for a course that taught cutting only just so i can see if i am doing it right.

You could always go back to the place that taught you the hair extensions and have them go over the cutting again..
I am surprised that they would teach someone hair extensions without them being certified in Hair first..alot of damage can be done if you are not taught the basics of hair strength, texture etc.and this is some of what is covered in a proper hair school.

Now IF you are certified in Hair..then you can go to a advance class for haircutting.

Part time level 2 in hair will run at most further education colleges over 1 acedemic year hth's

I am surprised that they would teach someone hair extensions without them being certified in Hair first

This is common practise and it infuriates me :grr:

colleges here in northampton do 1 or 2 year course offering varies time i also think there is a 3year course which is only i day a week on a saturday i would go to your local college and have a look at their prospective my daughter has done the one year course and found it to be very intense but what you put in you will get back out in the end after all would you have your hair done by some one who had done a quckie course and to be honest its not just what to do but what to do if some thing goes wrong

Latest posts

Back