Where did the Oldies go? (as in Geek-mentors)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Where did all the oldies (and I'm NOT referring to age!! lol) and regulars go?
Where did our faithful mentors go?

I have a strong suspicion it's due to an increase in bad attitudes, lack of appreciation, disrespect, and general immaturity.

I've spoken to a few geeks of late... many don't frequent anymore because of the above mentioned issues.

I, very frankly, miss a lot of people and miss their WONDERFUL contributions to these forums.
Personally, I frequent the forums less often because of the above mentioned issues.
I'm sorry, but I'm seriously not interested in tip-toeing around because OMG some one might not like factual and truthful answers to their issues and OMG they can't handle the truth. If I wanted to babysit, I'd run a daycare.

Here's some food for thought for those still confused, have a look at these threads....

http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/44650-give-thanks-geeks.html

http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/115834-brats.html

http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/115790-debate-discuss.html

Funny you should post this. I was just thinking about some FABBY geeks I haven't seen in a bit. I sure hope all is well! :)

I miss the 'oldies' too :cry: although maybe we need to create a new generation of the good no nonsense geeks!!!

Not sure i have the experience to become one myself but there are plenty of people i know of that i would love to see involved more and who i respect for their general attitude and knowledge xx

Where did all the oldies (and I'm NOT referring to age!! lol) and regulars go?
Where did our faithful mentors go?

I have a strong suspicion it's due to an increase in bad attitudes, lack of appreciation, disrespect, and general immaturity.

I've spoken to a few geeks of late... many don't frequent anymore because of the above mentioned issues.

I, very frankly, miss a lot of people and miss their WONDERFUL contributions to these forums.
Personally, I frequent the forums less often because of the above mentioned issues.
I'm sorry, but I'm seriously not interested in tip-toeing around because OMG some one might not like factual and truthful answers to their issues and OMG they can't handle the truth. If I wanted to babysit, I'd run a daycare.

Here's some food for thought for those still confused, have a look at these threads....

http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/44650-give-thanks-geeks.html

http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/115834-brats.html

http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/115790-debate-discuss.html

I think that could have a lot to do with it. Also just sheer plain laziness in the fact sooooo many people just can't be bothered to use the search button. The same old, same old questions just get asked over & over.

It gets to the point that half the time I don't even bother reading the threads now. And heaven forbid anybody should suggest using the search button, they just get moaned at.

The other thing could be, that with facebook being as popular as it, maybe some geeks have their own groups going on & ask for advice in there knowing they would get an answer without being pounced on....

Only so many times I can get shouted down by the one day course brigade. Most threads seem to be about "cheap" which is not my world.

I take immense pride in my trade, and won't be shouted down by people that have trained for one day and think they know better.

It just feels like I'm at the wrong party sometimes.

I have noticed that some really experienced and long standing Geeks are not posting, or not posting very regularly, and I have seen a few threads that have got way out of hand, sometimes I can see how it comes to that but sometimes its just a case of being overly sensitive...I think we all need to remember there can be several ways to do our 'thing' and we are all here to learn...I have learnt masses since I joined and though I do not have many 'friends' or PM lots of people I really feel that Salon Geek is something special and it would be a crime if we lost the 'greats'.

Also agree with Blue Rose about the search button issue, once you have answered 3 threads about the same subject you do lose the will to do it again:irked:.

Often there is no need to reply when there is a highly experienced newbie ready to tell you that you have no idea what you are talking about and they know much better, I've seem so many highly reflected geeks and mentors spoken to in such a disgraceful and disrespectful way recently i just don't bother to reply quite often now, it's such a shame that it foes round in circles like this.

I think one day training is rubbish but dont u think its nice some people ask rather than wing it because they haven't had the time, opportunity or funds to train as well as some? I had the chance to do some great training but i know not everyone has. Im new but I've learnt loads from so many nice people. And have tried.my best to help when appropriate. Some things are trial and error... Practice... I know I've asked hoping i can learn from other peoples mistakes. I've been shocked by some of the rude responses i have read x sometimes that's why i use Facebook groups and forums xxx

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

I hope its not rudeness that has put the oldies off.I would hope that the site as a whole is bigger and better than those that are disrespectful and i think most of the old geeks are business people and are not going to be that fazed by a few words on a forum.

I just think in most cases people have just moved on they feel they have given all they have to give lost interest maybe.Hopefully they are even too busy quite a few are now training.

Also many people are very close geek friends on here so once one goes their closest geek friends go to.It is a shame but when you look at profiles they are usually still looking in just not posting as much maybe they just feel they have said all they want to or maybe im completely wrong and they are all just really p**d off :)

I hope its not rudeness that has put the oldies off.I would hope that the site as a whole is bigger and better than those that are disrespectful and i think most of the old geeks are business people and are not going to be that fazed by a few words on a forum.

I just think in most cases people have just moved on they feel they have given all they have to give lost interest maybe.Hopefully they are even too busy quite a few are now training.

Also many people are very close geek friends on here so once one goes their closest geek friends go to.It is a shame but when you look at profiles they are usually still looking in just not posting as much maybe they just feel they have said all they want to or maybe im completely wrong and they are all just really p**d off :)
Cheesed off at people being rude to me cos they thing clutching their fresh NVQ means they know far more!! You just get bored of argueing with them.

Cheesed off at people being rude to me cos they thing clutching their fresh NVQ means they know far more!! You just get bored of argueing with them.

Do you get a bit battered on the hair forum Dawn:).Not being a hair geek i dont venture over that way, but i know you're are very much appreciated by most people.

A lot of the 'oldies' have moved on with their businesses/lives etc... but, there's still quite a few who come onto the site, they just may not be as vocal as they used to be :wink2:

This happens from time to time and is a natural progression in communities.

There is a lot of rudeness on this site from certain people, i think some new hd's, techs and therapists get a little over zealous at times and it can come across as being rude or arrogant. I guess its probably the buzz from being newly learned or something. My sis has been hairdresser for nearly 20 years abd used to love putting gobby juniors in their place lol. X

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

I'm a relative new comer who is seriously considering becoming a ghost. I appreciate information sharing and have no problems with people being upfront. I like it and prefer it; however, it appears that this site is littered with immature individuals who ask for advice and/or opinions but seem reluctant to receive it if it isn't coated in sugar and honey.

I hate bitchiness. I loathe it and more and more of it seems to be cropping up. I loved this site but I think I may be checking out soon. I'm too old for all this nonsense.

A lot of the 'oldies' have moved on with their businesses/lives etc... but, there's still quite a few who come onto the site, they just may not be as vocal as they used to be :wink2:

This happens from time to time and is a natural progression in communities.

I agree with Sandi but I do think there is quite a lot of rudeness going on. I read a thread the other day where someone had given incorrect advice and then along comes another geek and really lays into them. They didn't need to tear strips off them a simple explanation as to why they were wrong would of been enough !!

I think some of the replies on the site are boderline aggressive :(

I was just looking at my friends list the other day as 3 new people had asked to be my friend and I felt quite sad :sad:......lots of people fallen by the wayside.

I feel a bit battered myself of late :cry:

Hi geeks I'm am quite new to this still myself only joined in July started my own business doing mobile beauty in may and have 7 years salon experience so guess I'm a newby still compared to others on here, I must admit I've not posted that much on here from the fear of been jumped on! After reading loads of fab threads I love the site and have found it a massive help and have recommend it to a few of my friends, I completely agree with all that's been said I just hope all us newbys don't get tarred with the same brush! It would be such a shame for a brilliant thing to become ruined :( xxx

I agree with Sandi but I do think there is quite a lot of rudeness going on. I read a thread the other day where someone had given incorrect advice and then along comes another geek and really lays into them. They didn't need to tear strips off them a simple explanation as to why they were wrong would of been enough !!

I think some of the replies on the site are boderline aggressive :(

I quite agree x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

I'm a relative new comer who is seriously considering becoming a ghost. I appreciate information sharing and have no problems with people being upfront. I like it and prefer it; however, it appears that this site is littered with immature individuals who ask for advice and/or opinions but seem reluctant to receive it if it isn't coated in sugar and honey.

I hate bitchiness. I loathe it and more and more of it seems to be cropping up. I loved this site but I think I may be checking out soon. I'm too old for all this nonsense.

Hey ... I don't think you'll be checking out of nowhere Missus!!!

I don't think its in your nature to let these just qualified know-it-alls with no manners and no idea of how to discuss or debate, push you off the site or turn you into a ghost.

Continue to let your brains, education and life experience out-wit, out-smart and out-stay the likes of whom we are discussing!!

Jacqui xx

Latest posts

Back