Where did the Oldies go? (as in Geek-mentors)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i only joined salongeek recently. i can remember a post by JACQUELINEANNA- it was constructive criticism, and so beautifully worded, as are all of her posts! criticism can be so helpful if its constructive and worded well!

Ah thank you so much Beauti-licious!

I try to speak to others as I would expect to be spoken to myself, not as an expert of anything but as a human being

Sometimes I read posts and think - 'who ARE you' and whether you are 'someone' or 'no one' I don't really care.

If you are rude, you are a rude someone or a rude no one and either way are coming across as a rude bully.

Jacqui xx

I try to speak to others as I would expect to be spoken to myself, not as an expert of anything but as a human being

Sometimes I read posts and think - 'who ARE you' and whether you are 'someone' or 'no one' I don't really care.

If you are rude, you are a rude someone or a rude no one and either way are coming across as a rude bully.

Jacqui xx

I, for one, appreciate your posts and how you word them. You are a straight shooter and I like that, but you are the queen of tact. I bow to you, my queen.

I, for one, appreciate your posts and how you word them. You are a straight shooter and I like that, but you are the queen of tact. I bow to you, my queen.

Ooooh a big fat hug for you, I shall be a queen for the rest of the evening lol.

Jacqui xx

Some very good points have been raised here, one I'd like to pick up on is the 'expect it now' generation.
I found my self nodding a lot over that, my mum got her first washing machine when I was 15 years old. Monday was wash day all done by hand, everything spotless.
I'm so glad I live in the 21st century :)
But when it comes to something practical there are no short cuts. The moment you choose to work with your hands you have to put in hundreds of hours of practice and I think that's where some of the frustration comes in.
You can't copy and paste practical skill.
Perhaps that's where some of the rudeness comes from, peeps who want to do the best they can and think they are being stone walled or talked down to by others. They are as Vhunter said used to the instant result. Which doesn't lend itself to thinking 'where will I be in 20 years time?'
You sit having your nails done and the they look so easy to do, so you think, I can do that! Then hundreds of practice nails later, you have a ruined brush and a dent in the wall from where you threw your nail trainer at it. Then you come on here and there is still that little voice inside that says if you ask the question in the right way the answer will come out that will make you a great tech and someone tells you, read the tutorials, practice, spend more money on training and practice some more. So the little voice inside has a little tantrum and says it's not your fault, it's theirs for not sharing the secret.
Those that last are the ones who get it, there is no secret, just perfect practice (love you Gigi) the rest, well they go away and do something else and tell everyone how snobby we are.
We have some of each of those on here at the moment. I try to avoid some and give as much help and support as I can to the others.
Will I let it chase me away from my cyber home?
Nope. I was here first and I'm staying:)

Jacqui xx

Very well said. I often wonder why people assume that their opinion is right because Its theirs and because they are "experienced" and are fairly dismissive of those who express ideas to the contrary.
I have been in the industry for 25 years and I like to think I have become an expert in my field but I appreciate and welcome other peoples' views and ideas and NEVER assume that I am right in a "non-factual" context.
Getting back to the thread! I just wanted to say that although some of us may be really new to salongeek, our experience, knowledge and sometimes guidance may be valuable to some people?

Good Evening geeks, I'm a newbie to SG and just wanted to say were not all like that! I worked extremely hard to get to were I am now (owning my own business) which is something I always Aimed to do, I like to think I have massive respect for everyone on here new or old as everyone has always been polite and helpful to me, I have never started a thread as I always use the search button and have always found the answer I was looking for so never needed to start one really :) I don't need to be sugarcoated or babied but I HATE rudeness there is no need or excuse for it, I love coming on here and tbh don't no wot I would do without it now lol but just felt a little like we were all getting tarred with the same brush, so just wanted to say thanks to everyone that takes the time to post there experiences and knowledge as I for one have gained a lot from it! :)

Here here sarah :) lol xxx

Good Evening geeks, I'm a newbie to SG and just wanted to say were not all like that! I worked extremely hard to get to were I am now (owning my own business) which is something I always Aimed to do, I like to think I have massive respect for everyone on here new or old as everyone has always been polite and helpful to me, I have never started a thread as I always use the search button and have always found the answer I was looking for so never needed to start one really :) I don't need to be sugarcoated or babied but I HATE rudeness there is no need or excuse for it, I love coming on here and tbh don't no wot I would do without it now lol but just felt a little like we were all getting tarred with the same brush, so just wanted to say thanks to everyone that takes the time to post there experiences and knowledge as I for one have gained a lot from it! :)

Very sorry if you felt 'everyone' got tarred with the same brush. In all honesty, that wasn't my intent.:hug:
Just a GENERALIZED observation of the whole picture.

I think for the most post, MOST members are smart and pleasant and appreciative.
It's the odd few that make it difficult.
Then, another group where misscommunication takes place OFTEN as peeps missunderstand each other and get into a great big kerfuffle.

The missunderstandings can stem from the different styles of communication, generation gaps, local (what country are they in and what language they speak first), etc.....

My whole point of this thread was to raise some awareness of some issues, and INCREASE UNDERSTANDING by showing different sides of the coin and explaining some differences.
Perhaps if people understood each other as 'people' a little better, there might be less insanity here and THEN there might be less folks leaving SG.

I personally know a good-sized handful who have all said "SG? no thanks, not interested in all the catfights blah blah". This is coming from previously active members that were GREAT contributors in many different ways.

I think it's a sad state of affairs when people leave because ADULTS can't get along and "discuss and/or debate" versus having personal-insult contests.

Hugs all around.... I'm just missing some folks and wish they'd come back.:cry:

Awww have a hug from me *hugs* I know it's not nice to lose people you get so used to chatting to.

Very sorry if you felt 'everyone' got tarred with the same brush. In all honesty, that wasn't my intent.:hug:
Just a GENERALIZED observation of the whole picture.

I think for the most post, MOST members are smart and pleasant and appreciative.
It's the odd few that make it difficult.
Then, another group where misscommunication takes place OFTEN as peeps missunderstand each other and get into a great big kerfuffle.

The missunderstandings can stem from the different styles of communication, generation gaps, local (what country are they in and what language they speak first), etc.....

My whole point of this thread was to raise some awareness of some issues, and INCREASE UNDERSTANDING by showing different sides of the coin and explaining some differences.
Perhaps if people understood each other as 'people' a little better, there might be less insanity here and THEN there might be less folks leaving SG.

I personally know a good-sized handful who have all said "SG? no thanks, not interested in all the catfights blah blah". This is coming from previously active members that were GREAT contributors in many different ways.

I think it's a sad state of affairs when people leave because ADULTS can't get along and "discuss and/or debate" versus having personal-insult contests.

Oh I fully understand and I wasn't fishing for an apology I agree with everything you have said I too would not like to think people are leaving :( I have learnt So much from so many people on here it would be an absolute shame for the "oldies" to fade away as us newbies look up to the ones with massive experience! I like to think I have some experience (7 years) but I know I have a lot to learn still and by no means do I plan to cut corners lol so the oldies experience IMO is vital! I Just hope the corner cutters/know it alls don't spoil it for the rest of us :) x

You know, I think this is so true. I'm American and I'm honestly surprised that I haven't been banned from this site yet. Holy crap, when I think back to just the things I've posted today....

If you look at the posts and then look at the country of origin of the individual who made the post, it's quite interesting and telling. I find myself doing that a lot.

I miss Adele :cry:

xx

You know, I think this is so true. I'm American and I'm honestly surprised that I haven't been banned from this site yet. Holy crap, when I think back to just the things I've posted today....

If you look at the posts and then look at the country of origin of the individual who made the post, it's quite interesting and telling. I find myself doing that a lot.

I seriously doubt you could ever write anything to get you banned! I love reading your posts, you have a fabulous balance between helpful information and a fantastic sense of humour.

I seriously doubt you could ever write anything to get you banned! I love reading your posts, you have a fabulous balance between helpful information and a fantastic sense of humour.

Agreed your posts gr8nailz are the most fun to read lol ;)

Jacqui xx

You are very welcome!..just love your posts! indeed you are the Queen of tact and i bow to you too. x

I, for one, appreciate your posts and how you word them. You are a straight shooter and I like that, but you are the queen of tact.

I so agree. There is a fine line between, being a straight shooter and a b*tchy reply, that is sometimes crossed.

Its quite interesting to say that, however in some countries , especially in europe that may not be the case - we are all over the place :-D say, im lithuanian (its quite a small country, but if you are a basketball fan in america, im sure you would have heard of us or our basketball players), but i state in my profile that im from dublin, ireland, as i have been living here nearly 7 years now :-D

I suppose the country of origin can say a lot about the person, their attitude. I like to think im an exception to the rule :) and thats because people from eastern europe are known to be abrupt and may come accross as rude (not my words, thats what ive been told by colleagues)

So whenever i post something i try to stick as many smiley faces to show the person that im not digging at them :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

I so agree!!!

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Only so many times I can get shouted down by the one day course brigade. Most threads seem to be about "cheap" which is not my world.

I take immense pride in my trade, and won't be shouted down by people that have trained for one day and think they know better.

It just feels like I'm at the wrong party sometimes.

Absolutely agree.

Latest posts

Back