Where did the Oldies go? (as in Geek-mentors)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe some are wondering why the oldest 'oldie' hasn't replied to this thread before now? Well it took me an hour to read it allfor a start!! There are some really great posts in this thread and post no 41 and 46 particularly impressed me.

Personally I think there are some very impressive 'newbies' coming along that I have been watching and there is also a significantly large amount of unimpressive newbies .. but I don't think that that is a new thing. The 'messers', come and go and hopefully the 'impressives' will stay.

As a teacher who does not mind answering the same types of questions again and again, I miss the more meaty and relevant questions of the past ... I'm sure serious new ones still will still need to know the answers to certain 'issues' that arise and have arisen for us all? I really am quite 'tired' of the main forum looking like a product review page. which this?, which that?, what do you think of this or that?? .. nothing wrong in those questions but it seems to be ALL we are getting of late instead of 'how can I do x,y, or z better and improve myself' ... Maybe all the posters think they are perfect already who knows? lol

The forums are always in a state of change and do evolve from time to time on a regular basis. If some of the 'oldies' have gone then that is their choice. If they are here but don't post then that is also their choice ... but it does disappoint me that those who could make a difference have decided to let those that don't and never will make a difference, win and drive them to ground. That is not the way to effect a positive change in the site. :hug: If you feel like you are at the wrong party, then do something to shake it up!

As to my friend Adele (that poor old stumbling but ever so determined giraffe) I think of her especially now and will always miss her. She has been gone a year now ... I think she would be quite touched by so many of the comments made.

I agree..there has been tonnes of fantastic advice on here from the likes of Gr8nailz, geeg, Vhunter, and many many more (again won't name loads as there are too many to name) and I've got a huge amount of respect for all of you who give your advice on here, you don't get paid to do it, you do it because you want to help us younger or newer ones be just as successful as all of you are!
I really hope people don't get put off giving advice by people's lack of respect, we're not all like that :)
I'd be lost without this site and many of the geeks on here, I tend to read a lot more than post so you might not realise how many people you really are helping as many just read through and learn more :)

So thank you to all of you wonderful geeks who put your own time into helping others and sharing your knowledge :)

Kayleigh xx

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

You took those words right out of my mouth :)
Kxx

Where did the oldies go?
Well I am still here lol,
Now I wrote this with a grin on my face, a Voddy and Orange in hand and ciggies near by.......

Oh this takes me back to the early days on here, I used to love reading your late night postings and you always had your Voddy & Orange in hand then!! lol It was because of you I tried out #Fabric - thanks x

Kim
Nails at Home

I agree with Gigi that the quality of the questions are sometimes the problem with the same being asked over and over again, mainly to do with what product is better than the other etc. I have even noticed if a question is not answered immediately we get half told off for ignoring it. I quite often want to remind them to use the search button but got misunderstood in a previous thread and accused of being rude!

I am not altogether happy with the 'them and us' thing that is going on either and I say this is from both sides and I can be guilty of it as well. Filling in of profiles goes a long way but some, even those complaining of not enough respect of experience, have not filled them in comprehensively enough for others to understand their wealth of experience. (not being sarcastic here either).

The other thing that I would like to say is that the 'new generation' were born by us old ones. The new technology they use, Google and the like, was invented by us oldies to make lives easier so we cannot complain that things are easier for them when it was us that made it that way. This forum makes life easier for newbies as us old fools have wasted thousands of pounds trying every new product and training course that we could find. We have run our businesses well and badly and we give our time and advice here for free. Is it our fault for making it easy or the newbies fault for using the site to help them?

We can all live in harmony with a little less paranoia and a little more respect for where we all are in our careers.

Once again I agree with Gigi ( I must stop this soon, we haven't had a bust up for ages) that there are several really impressive looking newbies about at the moment, who will make great techs, therapists and advisors when us oldies are all collecting our hard earned pensions.:D

Ooooh a big fat hug for you, I shall be a queen for the rest of the evening lol.

Jacqui xx

For some reason i see a red haired queen sitting on her throne, with her nursie and lord melchy at her side, demanding presents from 2 recently returned explorers. I don't know why....... :) x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

For some reason i see a red haired queen sitting on her throne, with her nursie and lord melchy at her side, demanding presents from 2 recently returned explorers. I don't know why....... :) x

Lol!!

I've been racking my brains for the last 30 minutes trying to think of a REALLY clever way to say 'thank you' to you for your post on the 'Brows Allergy' thread that would rival your 'I'm sorry' from our midnight tryst on a thread from last week!!!

Still thinking .. by the time I think of something really clever you will no longer remember what I am thanking you for!

Jacqui xx

Lol!!

I've been racking my brains for the last 30 minutes trying to think of a REALLY clever way to say 'thank you' to you for your post on the 'Brows Allergy' thread that would rival your 'I'm sorry' from our midnight tryst on a thread from last week!!!

Still thinking .. by the time I think of something really clever you will no longer remember what I am thanking you for!

Jacqui xx

Lol i'll remember, don't like upsetting people so I don't forget it. There is a ton of queenie I could have used here, but someone might send the man with the butterfly net for me hehe.

Glad I could give u a giggle though lol x

The learner driver comparison is a good one. How would you feel if the moment someone passed their test, they said to you "I have passed my test, so therefore know more than you. I'm a better driver than you because my lessons are fresh in my mind, and you learn't 20 years ago"
I encountered a similar thing but in the context of hair *sigh*

Nobody minds helping a newbie, nobody minds giving advice to help a fellow professional. What I do mind is being shouted down because I say what people don't want to hear.

You reminded me of something. I recently helped a newbie. They were a complete newbie and I mean zero experience. They did a 2 day course in waxing which included the male brazilian. As an aside, when I did my male brazilian training it was stipulated that I should have at least 3 years waxing experience. Anyway, I volunteered my o/h as a model for this woman (who was a complete stranger to me.)

He could not understand how a complete newbie could be trained in the male brazilian. He said it was like someone turning up to the racetrack to learn to be a racing driver and then you find out they don't actually have a driving licence.

In my opinion i think rudeness can come from both sides. I dont condone rudeness, infact i hate it and definatley wouldn't tolerate it.

However i've read quite a few posts on here where even the longest of geeks have been rude and on the verge of arrogance especially when things have started to get heated. I dont think this is necessarily a new Geek syndrome.

I've found that some people do tend to hang onto the coat tails of other more distinguished Geeks and think this can sometimes be the problem. Others tend to give their tuppence worth when it is slearly not needed.

I feel this industry does unfortunately have a high reputation for being bitchy and at some times unprofessional towards others in our industry. Why is this? Why do we not have mutual respect of our fellow beauticians regardless of experience.

We all deserve respect at whatever level we are in this industry, and if you don't give it how the hell do you expect to get it.

Love and respect to all my fellow Geeks :hug:

And I'll third it. Totally agree.

I'll jump on this bandwagon.
I often think of something to post but worry I'll get put down somehow.
So I don't. X

I'm still here, 7 years on from joining! I have said before and I'll happily say again that I would not be where I am now without this site. I joined what was the Nail Geek as a newly qualified Tech in 2004 and I have learnt so much and achieved so much with help from Geeks. This site opened my eyes as to where a career in nails could take me and it has without doubt made me a better Nail Tech.

I have been a bit quiet over the last few months and when I really sat an thought about it (when constructing this reply) it is because for long spell every other nail thread has been about Shellac! Now it's great that Shellac is so in demand but I don't use it...... I use another Gel Polish (OPI Axxium for anyone who cares :)) but page after page (after page after page) of Shellac threads switched me off.

However, a break has done me good, refreshed my enthusiasm and would you know it I'm back posting!! I know the site is what we make it, and I want to make the future of it as fab as its past.....

Btw, I miss Adele too....

Glad you are back, Vetty! :)

Me too ... !x Even if you do use that other stuff !! :lol::lol::lol:

Wow, this has taken me ages to read!! Lol!

I am a newbie, joined at the end of July. My first ever viewing of a post on here after I registered had me mouth open, jaw droppingly gobsmacked and my exact words to myself were "OMG, how rude??" The response to someone's question was very belittling and imo downright rude.
Having been a member of other forums in the past (mainly a parenting one), I didn't let it put me off posting anything (although I did feel a little nervous about my first real question), because I know about how words can be misconstrued in this kind of environment as you can't hear how the person is saying it, every single person can read [hear] a sentence differently to the next, so I put it down to that and that I myself had maybe read it in a different way and not knowing anyone, I couldn't tell if that was how they were or bad day or what have you.

A few weeks ago I was really upset by a thread that I had started about opinions on my website. The thread got very heated and resulted in it being closed. During that thread, I had expressed all along that I wasn't expecting a sugar coated opinion, I truly value anyone's opinion here but even now, I do still stand by what I said throughout that thread that it was not what was said to me but how it was said to me. Yet despite me saying over and over that I didn't expect that, I just kept being told that's how I wanted it. Not the case at all.
I am a sensitive soul and can have a habit of taking things personally but I truly feel on that occasion some members who replied were purely doing so just to jump on the bandwagon and give their 2 pennies worth and wasn't opinions related to my site at all, it was just to join in on an "argument". I think there were even comments in there along the lines of "Here we go again, another newbie wanting it sugar coated". That is how it felt to me anyway.
That whole thing played on my mind for days, I felt maybe after that I would be ignored or outcast as it felt very much like that and my points throughout that whole thread were that I was grateful for feedback, I just felt it could have been delivered more politely. Not sugar coated but just not so in your face blatant and blunt. We are all human beings and as Gr8nailz and others have mentioned further back, it doesn't take much to be courteous and polite, you can still get your opinion across, it doesn't need to be so blunt. Just because someone doesn't like such a direct reply/opinion, does NOT mean that they therefore want it sugar coated either and also doesn't mean they are incapable of discussion and debate, just be polite about it???

I was guilty of upsetting someone in that thread which was not my intention at all, in trying to get my point across, I upset her. I am NOT that kind of person. Confrontation and upsetting people is my worst nightmare, I avoid it at all costs where I can, as I like to keep things happy and simple when there are so many other rubbish things to think about and deal with in all our lives. I sent the person in question an apology but I do still feel that the whole thread was turned into something that it just didn't need to be. I also know that at the beginning of that thread, I was being sensitive but after some of the other replies I think I had every right to react how I did further on.

I think it is very easy sometimes to say whatever you like to someone when you are sat behind your PC/Phone and are most likely to never come face to face with that person. Would people be so direct if they were face to face with you? I always try to give advice or opinions as nicely as I can, I just don't see the need to be any other way unless absolutely necessary.

I LOVE this site already, am hooked well and truly. After sorting my son's breakfast and grabbing my cuppa, it's the first thing I do every morning, I log on and start reading all the threads and then all the replies to ones I've contributed to. So I love it. I love how much knowledge I have gained in just a couple of months, I love how friendly and welcoming some of the Geeks on here have been to me, I love the support some "oldie" geeks have shown me, I love the banter in chit chat, I love learning about new things and getting the information I need to improve my skills and I want to continue to love it here and continue to grow as a technician and who knows, maybe make some friends along the way. That thread nearly put me off coming back but I apologised, swallowed my pride and decided to stop being silly and carried on hoping it would be ok and all forgotten. And I feel that it has, as most people have been very lovely to me since.

So after a long ramble, I am just saying that having been caught up in one of these "heated" threads and being one that is "a newbie taking things too sensitively" I can see it from all perspectives.

The older geeks give their knowledge and advice freely, for which we are all grateful but sometimes us newbies can feel a bit intimidated to post or disagree with something, create world war 3 un-intentionally then be accused of being too sensitive and being just "one of those". Yes I am sensitive, can't help it but I can also take A LOT and am old enough and ugly enough to deal with it. What I can't abide is rudeness for rudeness sake.

Would just like to say whilst I'm here that I am extremely grateful to all those who have helped me so far :hug: I hope at some point in the future I too can provide some good help and advice to others like you have shown me. Some of you are very special indeed and are clearly why this site is so addictive!! :) xx

Whew, Panky, that was a long one ... But a good one. :hug:

Won't be so many more of those when you get going full time! X

Whew, Panky, that was a long one ... But a good one. :hug:

Won't be so many more of those when you get going full time! X

:lol: No, will get the long ones in while I can, I do love to talk! :wink2: :D Best learn to zip it a bit or a manicure is going to take me 3 hours!! :lol:

:lol: No, will get the long ones in while I can, I do love to talk! :wink2: :D Best learn to zip it a bit or a manicure is going to take me 3 hours!! :lol:
Just remember to, "talk to the hand" no eye contact and you'll be fine.

planky1... I can't believe I read all of that... I usually avoid the long ones like the plague, you should be honoured!! :lol:

planky1... I can't believe I read all of that... I usually avoid the long ones like the plague, you should be honoured!! :lol:

Well then I am very honoured!! :o Where's the bow down smiley??? :D I promise I won't do another :wink2: Lol! xx

Just remember to, "talk to the hand" no eye contact and you'll be fine.

Lol, I shall try my hardest, not an easy task mind you :lol:

Latest posts

Back