Where did you start with your research when opening a salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkleberry

Reaction score
Hello everyone.:lol: Im hoping that someone will be able to advise me as to how on earth you managed to come to a decision as to which ranges to stock from spray tans/facials/mani/pedis to tinting and waxing?Anything and everything?!How did you research your chosen products? Im slowly driving myself around the bend:irked:
Many Thanks!

Hi! I am new to this site as well. I have recently started a new business and it is mind boggling on what product company's to use. I talked to loads of businesses about the products that they used and what level of support was given with the company's. I put a database together of the businesses in my area, what prices they charged, products they used and looked at what the gaps were.

I also went to the beauty shows to see the products, talked to the reps and take all the trade magazines. I now use Dermalogica, expensive start-up £3,000 but well worth it. Support from company is excellent, retailing is very easy but that may also be because I love the products and get brilliant results. If you are really keen on your product ranges you will sell more! I also have Jane Iredale make-up and am really pleased with the products themselves but the service from the company is crap.
I use Ellisons for waxing because I use the PHD system. But Sally's are really helpful for general supplies that you need quickly.

Hope this helps? Best of luck :)

Thankyou so much for replying!lol its not just which ranges to stock thats mind boggling-its the whole lot! Just when I think I have some kind of understanding something else crops up and I feel Im right back at the bottom of the bogg again!:eek:Well done for making sense of it all!

Dermalogica was one of the rnages I was considering, amongst dermaquest whose concentrates are higher, as my 'get result, treatment' range, so its good to know their service is good!Im totally baffled though for my relaxing/pamper range....ho humm!!!!
xxx

Open an account for major suppliers during a "show month" to get the best deals.

When evaluating a supplier get samples of products, get treatments using those products so you know how they feel. Get someone else to have a treatment - what did they think? Have meetings with your local / area rep. Find out about training - if its included that could be a saving that may be hidden with another company.

Any reason why you couldn't use Dermalogica as a relaxing range?

Will your therapists be trained in PHD waxing already? Another cost may be to get them trained, what about Hot Wax?

Get your hands on as many press reviews / articles about products as you can, get back issues of Professional Beauty for reference - can you get them at your local library?

Visit as many salon's as you can to find out what they do / charge / use. What do you like about it, what don't you?

Interview all your friends and family about salon experiences, these are potential customers! What do they look for / want in a salon experience?

Research, research and research! It takes time, maybe little bit of money but is invaluable in building your business.

Mat

I am a month away from opening my shop doors, and I, too, have had the mass confusion that comes with deciding on products.

I'm glad to know that I'm not walking this road alone.:wink2:

I felt like I was all over the place, what I really had a hard time with was deciding which products I really needed, and which products were the best choice. I wanted everything, like a crazed shopper!

I have made my decisions, and have all products ready for opening, but I am still sampling everything that I can get my hands on. Just because I've carefully selected some products never means that I'm not open to change in the future.

I've decided that I will not 'brand' my salon with a specific product, or advertise that I use 'such and such', so that I can change my mind when I want.

Good luck to you.

Latest posts

Back