Where do I go from here?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natbc1985

Reaction score
I am just coming to the end of my nvq2 in hairdressing and I Will be starting level 3 in september. I have some salon experience but it's been a few years since I've done anything in a salon. I'm always doing friends and family's hair and friends of friends etc and can't wait til I can work but I'm a little confused as to how qualified you have to be (nvq2 or 3)

Does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to get going and where do I draw the line and begin charging properly for what I'm doing?

Thanks
Natalie

I would also like to know more about this aswell please

xoxo

As far as im aware you can go straight into a level 3 after your level 2,HOWEVER,i personally think a few years experience working with many different clients and situations would be a great head start.
I originally started level 3 after 2 years qualified in level 2 and stopped after a few months due to feeling like i was going into it a bit blind and you need to be confident in all aspects etc to help your students to gain from you so i left it untill 3 years ago,age 29,after 11 years!!
I flew through level 3 and am currently doing level 4/a1 accessors award and working with the 2 trainees in our salon to help and guide them but also to gain my teaching qualification.
This time round i feel much more confident in my skills and experience and feel like im not working blind!
Everyones different but i know i found waiting much more beneficial for me.
Do you have an accessor you can speak to about it?
x

I've spoken to my assessors in the past about working etc and we have been told that while obviously we can do what we want, that without having level 3 that we don't have all the the skills to go out and work competently on clients. But in the area I live I have been in numerous salons where they have said they don't do colour correction so I assume level 3 isn't essential everywhere???
I'm really confident doing hair as I started when I was 16 and I'm now 26 and the my boss back them was amazing she really threw me in at the deep end and I learnt so much from her but the confidence has gone down considerably since then and I've wrote letters and sent c.vs just trying to get a day or two a week unpaid back in a salon environment. I guess no one is willing to give me a chance due to me not being young enough
X x

Latest posts

Back