Where do I go from here?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
only thing I will say - sorry you had an awful experience... let me ask you though - if u had a bad hair cut - you would NEVER say you would never have your hair cut again - you would go to someone better - please consider and know that there are some fantstic teks out there who can do a brilliant job on you - especially the teks on this board - have heart!!! ;)

Wow. I am on the client-side of this forum and I can say that the one and ONLY time I got my nails done at a salon (acrylics) the lady hurt me (by filing so much) that I have never wanted to get them done again. I guess it scarred me for life :) So basically because of this one time I took up nail art just for myself.
Just thought I would share a client's story :D

Jane

Scratchers Geek
Reaction score
I trained with Creative 4 years ago and completed the Masters 2 years ago. I feel I'm at a crossroads in my life right now, I want to do more. I love my chosen career and I work in a salon full time. I would like to get into education but have no idea how to go about it. I feel quite strongly about good and continuing education. It can be very disheartening when someone walks into the salon with nails they are not happy with that have been put on elsewhere and sometimes the workmanship is so poor I feel that I have to make apologies on behalf on the nail industry! I spent a few hours last Sunday with a girl that had recently trained with an independant trainer and was not happy. On the course she was told she wouldn't be learning about the anatomy of the nail because she didn't need to, was not shown how the blend a tip, was not shown how to rebalance or remove and was taught nothing on hygeine or contamination. The trainer, when preparing this girls nail, filed a hole into her nail bed. Sorry to go on so much, the list goes on...
It was heart breaking really. I advised to go on a decent course and gave her a list of phone numbers.
Jane

I am right up there with you Jane - we as responsible nail technicians should be educating every client who walks through the door how their nails should be done.

I will remember one of my first clients who came to me and asked for acrylic nails - when I took out my tip box to start, she said no she wanted real acrylic nails (sculptures) not plastic tips. She had tips before and they just came off and they looked false. I had to use every bit of my diplomacy to stop her from leaving. I offered her a free nail and if she liked it I would do the rest, if not I would remove it and it cost her nothing. When I finished the nail she was amazed how good it looked and that there was no blood! - Hello - I am a nail technician in the beauty industry - not a butcher or surgeon lol

We need to be educating our clients as I said because they may one day go on to train as nail techs and if they know how it should be done then they will not accept poor training.

I know this is a bit off your subject but hopefully relevant enough.

Keep up the good work Jane.

HowdA,

Your first step is to identify the content you wish to teach (i.e. product line and product education)

The next step is to contact the heads of education for that particular company and identify if there is a need for someone in that area.
At Designer Nails, this is something we do throught the year.

Once a year we will review all CV's (resumes) for applicants wishing to be Education Ambassadors.
If an individual is qualified, and there is a need for someone in that area, we will invite them to a pre qualification day where about 20 people will be whittled down to about 8.

Those 8 will then have to attend the Creative Institute... and pass before becoming a Creative Education Ambassador.

Hope this helps

I agree Mrs Geek - you cannot tar the whole profession on one bad experience - there are many many more excellent techs out there and they should not have to take the rap for the minority :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back