Where do I stand with this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArabianBeauty

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm not sure where I would stand with this situation.

I fitted extensions on a client in my salon who has fine hair 4 weeks ago, we put micro rings in the back and very small bonds in the front (hair was finer at the front).
A week later she frantically messages me saying all the rings are falling out, I ask her to come back and only 2 had come out so I put them back and went over each ring to make sure they were secure.

Now 3-4 weeks later I am away out of the country having fertility treatment, I left on the 9th and won't return until 27th she knows I'm away and it's also all over my website, I get the following summary from her via txt.

She has tried to contact me and is being ignored, her hair is all falling out and the bonds are a matted mess, she has been to another salon who tried to take said bonds out and couldn't so she has cut a lot of her hair away (apparently because she couldn't get hold of me since Wednesday) the salon told her to contact me.
She also said surely I have a duty of care to my clients etc etc.... which yes I do, but I'm not a bloody doctor on call!!!

Where do I stand with this woman? She is asking me what I'm going to do about it, my stylist is in the salon on weekends but I'm not comfortable letting her see her whilst I'm not there.

I don't need this stress at the moment! And she knows that. She may have called the salon since Wednesday but the apparent emails she sent have never been received, I replied to her today the minute she sent the text and explained I'm out of the country as she was informed.

Exactly! You're a hairdresser not an ER doctor.

She's being ridiculous especially after 3 weeks have elapsed. You're not responsible for the condition of her hair for the entire duration that it's attached!

Sticky!
Maybe ask for some pictures or video of what she's dealing with. This will allow you to seduced if your colleague is able to help or not.
Is she well informed of her aftercare treatment? A lot of people don't bother with it and it's important!!
Good luck I hope it's something of nothing and all is well.

I will be contacting my insurance on Monday and asking if she has anything to stand on as I'm pretty sure she will attempt this route once I refuse to refund her. Iv only been gone two days, and she didn't try to contact me before I went away so she must have gone to another salon between Wednesday and today? I'm just not sure whether the fact that I'm away and cannot see her for the next two plus weeks will be in her favour? I don't really want my stylist touching her even though she is qualified to fit extensions hairdressing is more her thing. The woman is saying she has had to cut big chunks of glue out of her hair... I can only assume these chunks were caused by the attempted removal... she swears she has followed all aftercare advice but she would say that right?
The sad bit is she knows the delicate procedure I'm about to undergo and all she can do is complain about her hair!!

I just find it hard to believe the micro rings in the back are all falling out and the bonds in the front are getting matted... and she isn't doing anything to cause this!

Hi, don't let it worry you. You're a very experienced hair extensionist, your recent client seems to be exaggerating and a bit of a drama queen! If her hair is as bad as she says I believe it is down to her incorrect maintenance. Is this her first experience of extensions? Some people who have extensions fitted don't realise until they have been installed how they are going to feel in situ and adapt to new regimes of maintenance and expect their hair to be the same as before. In reality there is much more upkeep for hair smooth and tangle free hair.
You informed her that you would not be available for several weeks and need to be stress free. She obviously has no respect for others or she wouldn't be bombarding you with texts and emails. Ignore her now and concentrate on yourself and your procedure. She can wait until you are ready to deal with her on your terms. As she had someone else try to do work and remove the extensions, it will have invalidated her claiming any refund or further obligation from you,in my opinion but check with your insurer. Good luck with your fertility treatment.

The fact that she's cut glue out says she's a total idiot! There are a million accessible videos online on how to remove extensions! What did your consultation or aftercare form say? The fact that she's trying to remove them herself will most likely make any case she had bounce right out if she took it to court, personal I would do a video face time with her at the salon with your stylist so you can see for yourself and advise if removal is nessercary, she could remove for you if it's needed, I think she sounds like a drama queen who has freaked out that your not at her beckon call! The cheek of her contacting you whilst your away on such an important break is horrendous, I hope you'll tell her that!

Oh my lord. There seems to be a pattern forming with OTT clients chasing their hairdressers during their personal time.

I would possibly be tempted to say that she should have waited until she received a reply from you before attempting to remove the bonds and that because she did so she has caused damage to her hair which you cannot be held responsible for. As you did not have a chance to see the issues with the hair or rectify the problem you will not be issuing a refund.

As a gesture of goodwill perhaps your weekend stylist could give her a cut and blow dry? I'm assuming all the bonds are out.

I would then say, as you were previously made aware I am currently out of the country having a medical procedure. If you would like to take me up on this offer please contact my stylist on this number.

Let your stylist know what's going on and tell her if the client wants to take things further they should send something in writing. Then block her number until you get home.

Good luck with your treatment and try to relax. It's just one client out of many xx

I think goodwill gestures should only be offered to clients demonstrating reasonable behaviour.
Unfortunately, every hairdresser who gives her some freebie to get rid of her simply fuels her belief that the stroppier she acts, the better the reward.

Also, bear in mind that Insurance companies will happily pay off a complaining client as it's far cheaper than employing a lawyer on fees of £100 an hour. Even when there's obviously no case to answer, if you refer the matter to your insurer, they will have to pay a lawyer to complete the paperwork to contest it.
...Then they increase your premiums.

Therefore, only get your insurer involved if she submits a claim in writing and you don't feel able to deal with it personally.

Iv spoken to her, she has agreed to come and see me at the salon the day after I arrive home, reluctantly!! She said she went to another salon and they tried to take the bonds out and couldn't (not sure what they were using) but they couldn't get them out, so they left them, this is glue I use from a well known company so there is usually only 1 way to remove it, so basically the mess they have made of the bonds she has decided to cut out, she said no other salon will now touch her so she is going to buy a wig until I return home.

I'm refusing her to go to my stylist as the work was done by me and not her, the woman was well aware of the date I left so she had plenty of time to contact me, and she chose to leave it till the day after I left uk... I am going to ask her to give me proof that she has tried to contact me (phone record etc) as she said I have been ignoring her calls and messages which is complete bollocks. I responded to the first message I got, and there were no answer machine massages on the salon phone the day I left as I checked.

She has had extensions before in another well known London salon and she took them out herself before she came to me so says it all really lol, she is fully aware of aftercare (but obviously isn't following it) and everything was explained at consultation etc, anyway iv told her she's out of order for messaging me the way she did when she knows exactly why I'm away so hopefully this will be sorted when I return.... I'm just not sure what she is going to expect when I do return? Lol

She really is a dingbat! Now that's sorted try to relax and take care of yourself for this next couple of days x

Latest posts

Back