Where do you all stand on patch testing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellishbellish

Reaction score
Now I know this is a well talked about topic, however I was told yesterday about apparent "new legislation" coming in regarding patch testing. I patch test each new client or a client that hasn't had tinting with me before at least 48 hours before, however I've just been told I have to do this every time a client comes for a tint, whether they have never been to me before or 100 times.

Does everyone do this? I am aware of places that don't even do an initial one (scary), but wasn't aware I had to repeatedly do it. Also, do you make sure it is 48 hours before? Or if for example, someone is booked in on a Friday, test them the week before instead of the Wednesday? I am wondering where others stand on this. Looking forward to hearing replies.

Can I ask who told you this, please?

The salon I work at has to now do this! If they are an existing client and their usual service is staying the same they can continue to have the same service as long as the last service they had done was within 3 months, if their last service was longer than 3 months ago they have to be skin tested with the full colour range!

It's a nightmare 48hrs before too as some clients obviously travel to the salon and aren't quite local, and from skin tests every 3 months to 48hrs before service the clients aren't happy! Traveling to salon twice in one week if not local can be annoying x

I'm sure I read this too, that patch testing has to be carried out before every treatment, even if they're an existing client.

I just spoke to BABTAC about this.
They told me that if the tint manufacturer states on the packaging that a patch test must be carried out every time, the one must be performed, and the lady (Karen) said that this indeed was the case for HD brows.
She also said that if it was "regular tint", and if the client's circumstances were the same, and if the tint brand was the same then there was no need to patch test every time. If there are any changes then a test must be carried out, and at least once a year in any event.

The salon I work at has to now do this! If they are an existing client and their usual service is staying the same they can continue to have the same service as long as the last service they had done was within 3 months, if their last service was longer than 3 months ago they have to be skin tested with the full colour range!

It's a nightmare 48hrs before too as some clients obviously travel to the salon and aren't quite local, and from skin tests every 3 months to 48hrs before service the clients aren't happy! Traveling to salon twice in one week if not local can be annoying x

I know, I sense very nearly clients, so much so I might have to take this off my service menu. Ridiculous.

I'm sure I read this too, that patch testing has to be carried out before every treatment, even if they're an existing client.

Annoyance!

I just spoke to BABTAC about this.
They told me that if the tint manufacturer states on the packaging that a patch test must be carried out every time, the one must be performed, and the lady (Karen) said that this indeed was the case for HD brows.
She also said that if it was "regular tint", and if the client's circumstances were the same, and if the tint brand was the same then there was no need to patch test every time. If there are any changes then a test must be carried out, and at least once a year in any event.

I am with BABTAC too, and have emailed them regarding it as I want written proof of it. Apparently the legislation is coming in because of HD brows, because people are getting them done more, and the tint is being used to stain the skin. I use Refectocil tint, however have just had another read of the manufacturer instructions and it says test before each application. I would say this is "normal" tint but if something went wrong, would the insurers say you should have abided with the man instructions?

Yep, they said that if it says test before each time then that's what you have to do!

On our salon guidance records under the section 'existing clients' is says that as long as they are keeping the same process and colours etc its fine to go ahead without skin testing again as long as they answer 'no' to all of the required questions such as have u changed medication etc and that they will need a new skin test if they want to change the process

Example if they wanted to use colour touch instead of koleston they'd have to have the new skin test 48hrs before hand otherwise they're ok to continue their usual treatment x

Oh my goodness this is ridiculous.

How frustrating. Getting incredibly hacked off with the amount we have to do in order to be covered.

I religiously test my clients every 12 months and make no exceptions.

If I have to tint test my clients every time I will lose a whole lot of clients.

I was just about to switch from The Guild to BABTAC too.

Oh my goodness this is ridiculous.

How frustrating. Getting incredibly hacked off with the amount we have to do in order to be covered.

I religiously test my clients every 12 months and make no exceptions.

If I have to tint test my clients every time I will lose a whole lot of clients.

I was just about to switch from The Guild to BABTAC too.

Lose a lot of clients, yep, I echo this. It might get to the stage where I have to take this treatment off, as I think this is ridiculous.what exactly are we paying to be covered for? There is a loophole and get out clause for the insurer all the time.

On our salon guidance records under the section 'existing clients' is says that as long as they are keeping the same process and colours etc its fine to go ahead without skin testing again as long as they answer 'no' to all of the required questions such as have u changed medication etc and that they will need a new skin test if they want to change the process

Example if they wanted to use colour touch instead of koleston they'd have to have the new skin test 48hrs before hand otherwise they're ok to continue their usual treatment x

Do your insurers cover you for this?

Yep, they said that if it says test before each time then that's what you have to do!

What tint brand do you use Lynn, just out of curiosity? Do you use one that says it doesn't need to be tested all the time? I'm just wondering as if babtac said "normal" tints don't need to do this and the once is fine, which tint brands don't instruct you have to do patch testing repeatedly? Argh.

This is ridiculous!! It is going to cause good therapists who follow the rules to lose clients to unreputable therapists who don't bother to patch test at all. Not good for the clients, ourselves or the industry as a whole....

OK, so I use salon systems tint and I've just this minute checked what it says on the pack. It says that a sensitivity test must be carried out 48 - 72 hours before, each time.
Arse.
I'm going to email Salon Systems for clarification. I'll also investigate other brands for their directions too.

OK, so I use salon systems tint and I've just this minute checked what it says on the pack. It says that a sensitivity test must be carried out 48 - 72 hours before, each time.
Arse.
I'm going to email Salon Systems for clarification. I'll also investigate other brands for their directions too.

Argh, yeah the refectocil one says the same. I am hazarding a guess they'll all say it then :(.

This is ridiculous!! It is going to cause good therapists who follow the rules to lose clients to unreputable therapists who don't bother to patch test at all. Not good for the clients, ourselves or the industry as a whole....

Agreed :(

this would be very difficult for mobile techs like me. Everytime a client books for a tint i have to travel to them 2 days before to do a patch test? :confused:
Would make the treatment unprofitable

Latest posts

Back