Where do you look for work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubywoo

Reaction score
To all the talented wonderful therapists out there, where do you go to look for work?. I'm wondering if I'm completely out of touch with how people go job hunting at the moment, I am now about to enter my third month of recruiting and I am about to lose the will to live. I have a new treatment room that was finished four months ago with a sizable investment made to renovate it and I have no one to work in it.

I'm currently advertising on Gum Tree, Indeed, Instagram and Facebook. What are key words you want to see in a job add, what does an employer need to be saying/asking for to attract, keen, talented and articulate people?.

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong, I offer excellent working conditions and excellent pay with commission, paid housekeeping before and after shifts, continued training for every staff member, we are ethical and fair at every possible level from our green credentials to our treatment of others, we have safe, supportive and nurturing environment to work in. Yet after several months I still need three new members of staff right now and will need more in about three months.

I am becoming despondent in my work and most days will have a moment where I think about giving up. Any advice will be met with desperate gratitude, I'm even beginning to consider walking up the street naked with a placard but I'm not sure the locals are ready for that yet!!!!!!.

Hello. I have only been in the industry about a year and half and I am mobile. Every time I think about looking at getting a job in a salon or renting some space I am always put off by feeling like I'm not experienced or good enough. When they put ONLY experienced techs/therapists preferably, I think what does that even mean? How long?
I have a decent client base and I know my work is good but just put off by what I NEED to have to be excepted. I'd love to have a job with training as I miss working in a team. Most people who will be looking for jobs will be newbies I feel and from my experience they are made to feel like they are not needed. Hope this helps( I didn't mean it to come across ranty) hope you find someone soon, it sounds amazing!

Difficult one, I have advertised on. Indeed. And two out of 14 were great......

I think maybe social media? X

When I was applying for salon jobs I was put off when they put ‘experienced’ or ‘level 3’ only

Where are you?!

I'd also be put off by "must have experience of X years" and would rather read "experience preferred but not necessary" (assuming attitude, professionalism and all the rest of the boxes are ticked).

Are you struggling to attract people in the first place? Or are getting applications, but struggling to find the right person?

Social Media/Facebook is a good one, especially for word of mouth. Either post in your local community FB group if there's one, or a Beauty Therapists group and try to get people to tag each other. Video is also a good way if you are on social media - but I'd say only if you can edit and portray it well.

I don't know what you have at the moment, but maybe change your wording slightly so it's more creative and less.. the same as everyone else. i.e. "We need.... We offer... You will have...". I can't remember where I got this originally, and have tweaked it to suit our business but we had more response from our ads when we changed it to this, AND when we put it on Facebook, then shared that post around. Our clients on Facebook were good at sharing it too.
When therapists got in touch, I booked in a 25-30min chat with them before they even applied. Because it started less formal, they were more relaxed - and I feel we both got more out of it. I then invited them to apply formally, and set up a proper interview to discuss ins and outs of jobs.

Hope this helps!

Looking to join our team?
What you’ll find at the (COMPANY NAME), is that you’re appreciated for the work you do. Being an engaged therapist is no easy feat. In our salon environment, you’ll find other like-minded and passionate people. You won’t have to explain your love and passion for skin care & wellness here; we get it. The manager (that’s me) loves what she does, too.
You might be just the right fit for our team. So we (you and I both) can work that out, let’s meet up for an informal chat.
Our busiest hours are Saturday’s, and after hours (or evenings). We’d expect you to be able to manage all day-to-day beauty & skin challenges, but with a team supporting you 100%, we’ll help you find your feet, as you become part of our beauty family.

Latest posts

Back