Where is best to study gel nails and manicures?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanna Scott

Reaction score
Hi,

I came across these forums just recently and someone recommended them to me and said how good they were in terms of seeking advice and help, as this is all new to me and a little confused as to where to go.

It looks like a lot of you have either many years experience in nails, qualified or work for someone or yourself and wondering if you could help or shed some light?

I am looking at setting up my own gel nail business working from home but also working in a salon, both part time as I have another job too which I love, I would like to start something else more creative and I am very passionate about gel nails and manicures etc.

I have been told to do a VTCT level 2/level 3 in nails or beauty but I am not really looking into any other types of beauty just nails. Is there a course you would recommend which is the best one, (I am based over bedfordshire way). where I am fully qualified to work for myself and in a salon too? - would salons take just a nail qualification and not beauty?

There are a lot of brands as well for gels, is there one specific, shellac etc which is recommended to buy wholesale for my business? I am just buying some magazines on beauty/nails to get some more research on this.....

thank you.... as you can see a total novice over here...

have a great day!!

xx

An NVQ or VTCT levels 2 and 3 in nail technology/nail services are both nationally recognized qualifications and will be very employable to salons.
Doing accredited short courses in individual services will mean you can gain insurance for those particular treatments you hold a qualification for, enabling you to work on the general public self employed, either at home or renting a table in a salon - some employers may accept short course qualifications, some may prefer the NVQ/VTCT and some may prefer the NVQ/VTCT and wish to send you on brand specific courses too that they use in the salon.
The choice is yours which route into the industry you take, I would advise if you choose to do short courses then go for reputable, recognised brands who's qualifications are accredited such as CND, NSI, Crystal Nails, etc x

I did accredited shorter courses as I'm just nails, been doing nails 12 years now. I'd say working for yourself is ultimately more lucrative altho st first having the support and experience of a salon might be good x

An NVQ or VTCT levels 2 and 3 in nail technology/nail services are both nationally recognized qualifications and will be very employable to salons.
Doing accredited short courses in individual services will mean you can gain insurance for those particular treatments you hold a qualification for, enabling you to work on the general public self employed, either at home or renting a table in a salon - some employers may accept short course qualifications, some may prefer the NVQ/VTCT and some may prefer the NVQ/VTCT and wish to send you on brand specific courses too that they use in the salon.
The choice is yours which route into the industry you take, I would advise if you choose to do short courses then go for reputable, recognised brands who's qualifications are accredited such as CND, NSI, Crystal Nails, etc x

Thank you so much, a great help, I will start searching online!!

Latest posts

Back