Where is your home salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pure

Reaction score
I would desperately love to have my own little salon at home and just wondered how others have managed this.

Is it just a spare room or dining room? Converted garage? Cabin in the garden or what other options are there?

Oh, and does it work?!:)

mine is my large back bedroom, works a treat. I have a seperate bathroom for my clients to use too, so they dont have to wade through all our laundry and stuff in my main bathroom.

xx

If you have a sml bedroom that is going spare that is ideal! I do not know about the garden convertions as I think this brings a few problems to insurance etc, as i am mobile I am not too up on that.
Have you ever thought about going mobile or are you dead set on working directly from home. I began mobile as I really have not much room at home.

If you have a sml bedroom that is going spare that is ideal! I do not know about the garden convertions as I think this brings a few problems to insurance etc, as i am mobile I am not too up on that.
Have you ever thought about going mobile or are you dead set on working directly from home. I began mobile as I really have not much room at home.

I am mobile currently. I would just love a home based saoln and want to see what options there are. :hug:

I used to have my small bedroom as a nail room. It worked great except that clients had to come up stairs and it did intrude on our living space. It certainly served its purpose well until I went to a salon.

Clients didn't seem to mind, in fact some preferred coming to my house rather than a salon.

mine is in the study, (downstairs) right across the hall from the bathroom and next to the front door so ideal really .. well it would be if it was 2 foot bigger !! but I have my eyes on the garage .. much bigger and I could have a separate door ...

I have a large log cabin in my garden, it has 2 treatment rooms, a waiting area and I have just put a loo in it too. It works really well for me, and although I have to pay business rates etc it ws still a cheaper and better option for me than having a salon in town, as I am still here for my kids at school times.:)

Mines all packed in boxes at the moment as we are in the middle of moving!!!:irked:

WHEN we eventually get there, it will be in the "spare" room, at the moment I am doing mobile .....or on my dining room table, not ideal but luckily my clients understand and don't mind.

I personally think it is easier (for me!) in my own "little salon" because that way I never forget anything!!! and as where I am people mainly live in apartments....usually top floor:eek: I don't have to carry everything up 5 flights of stairs.:)

I have a large log cabin in my garden, it has 2 treatment rooms, a waiting area and I have just put a loo in it too.

That sounds bigger than my house!!!!:green::green:

Yea, you could probably live in it if you wanted too! Comes in handy when Im rowing with 'im indoors:!:

Up until about 3 months ago I worked from our dining room (which leads off the kitchen so not ideal, when I wasn't working I was clearing up all signs of domesticity) but I have quite a large client base and nobody minded, most said how homely it felt and of course the kettle or coffee maker was nearby!!

However, when our dishwasher went wrong and the repair man was in and out for several days on the trot with tools etc everywhere, I moved into the lounge, which has a bay window and my nail desk sits end-on in the bay iknwim with my stool one side and a lovely leather client chair the other. The only other things in the room are a couple of good sofas, a beautiful limestone fireplace which they all admire :green: and the TV, which has a very large plant in front of it when a client is there. It serves perfectly, clients love sitting in the window, it attracts a bit of passing interest (although not that many folk walk by anyway lol) and best of all I'm away from all the kitcheny crap and smells. Now I can leave the pots etc and just walk off to my "nail room" aka our lounge :lol: and let hubby sort out the mess! I can't think of a more perfect arrangement!!

So yes, it definitely does work. There is a cloakroom off the hallway just opposite the lounge.

I often think I would love to have a dedicated nail room, but of course that does leave you liable for certain business taxes if you have a special room to work from. If you work from a room which you also use for your daily living, you are not liable for this.

I started mobile and it was fine till the client base grew. Then I found it far more productive to stay in one place and let them come to me - sooo much easier.

Our house is empty of kids and hubby during the day normally. Of course it does mean the family are barred from the lounge when I do evening appointments but we do have another living room and there's a TV etc upstairs so nobody minds too much.

hth x

I have a large log cabin in my garden, it has 2 treatment rooms, a waiting area and I have just put a loo in it too. It works really well for me, and although I have to pay business rates etc it ws still a cheaper and better option for me than having a salon in town, as I am still here for my kids at school times.:)

That sounds fantastic!:green:

Do you have a link to where you bought it from?
Did you need planning permission?
And what sort of taxes do you have to pay on it?

Well I hate my current situation, It is the one thing holding me back from feeling "professional"
At this very moment I have a beauty couch set up in my .....living room :eek:
I hate it and I think the fact I do reflects in my work,I am not totally at ease,
previous to this I had a nail desk set up in the corner of my kitchen (I can almost hear gigi's head shaking)

Any way I now have my sights set on either one of my daughters room's or dividing one of them in half ,
They have a room each but both sleep in the same room everynight,so it makes sense to me that they just share and give me a room !
I already know what colours I want it and everything,
I do tell clients (not that there are many at the moment) that this is all a tempory situation.

what annoy's me most is that I have lots of places I could make a lovely decent sized nail room downstairs, if i was allowed to knock walls down...but as its rented I can't :irked:

Mine is our old downstairs bathroom and utility area, the bathroom was a godsend when we were potty training the kids but we dont use it anymore and tbh it couldnt have gone anywhere else!
The utility are is my waiting area and the bathroom is the salon, its smalls but perfectly formed and all that I need!
One day I will post pics of it, cos I am so chuffed with my little space! The only pain is that now clients have to go upstairs for a wee, but I have had only 1 wanting to use the bathroom!
Its also shut off from the house with an exterior wooden door.

I work from my dining room. It is a 20' square room and is ideal for all my treatments that I offer from nails, spray tanning through to massage and waxing. I have excellent feedback from my clients on how relaxing the treatment room is. My clients arrive at the entrance to my house and have to walk through my morning room which also has the downstairs bathroom for their use in. They then walk through my hall but all the rooms off the hall have doors so I can shut these when I feel the need so my personal space can be kept private. I could if I really wanted to do put an external door into my salon but I think this would be too much upheaval.

I love everything about my salon and the only down side if anything is if clients come with friends which then I feel a little uncomfortable especially if they want to use my loo whilst I am doing a treatment on their friend, this means they are going into my private areas without supervision which I hate.

This only happens on the very rare occasion so overall I am very satisfied with my little business which is building very steadily now and is really showing dividends for all the effort I have put in over the last 3 years and it fits in perfectly with my family.

My treatment room was the utility room and side entrance, so we knocked them together. Although its a small room it works very well as it has its own entrance, so clients don't have to see the mess that my 3 kids and husband produce.:eek: It works well as I can work around my childcare arrangements and be flexible for clients who need late appointments.

Thats what Id love to be able to do,
Knock through my downstairs loo , right next to it is a s**t cubbord the same size,
knocked through it would be perfect, plus I'd be able to keep the sink which would be good,
and it is right next to the front door.
My neighbour has done it, and it would be so cool
But I'm not allowed :cry:

My little salon is a spare room directly off the kitchen.. As i only do nails at this point i have my desk, retail stand and a huge plant next to a lovely big window that looks out onto... ((this is where it gets erky)) a fence!
I have a huge open planned kitchen with marble tops and stools.. and a massive sink that has a pull out spray nozzle.. toilet and bathroom is next the kitchen.
Its nice working from home.. i have music playing and try to create a lovely homely/professional environment.
I never book clients on mondays.. Thats my day to get over the weekend and prepare for the clients in the coming week.. and i always try to give myself Tuesday arvo for "me time"
Eventually i would like to instal a sink in the room.. and maybe some french doors that can open off to the side and make an entrance.. but im tossing this up because as my clients grow and my horizons broaden (waxing/massage etc) i may renovate the large shed i have out back..
Working from home has been a godsend for me..

Mine's set up in my dinning room (nail desk, portable wax table, storage cupboard for all my bits & shelving for towels etc..) & portable bed in the living room when needed!! Have had a lot of positive feedback about it all looking professional with a homely feel!! :)

I got my cabin from Sheds, Log Cabins and Summerhouses - Taylors Garden Buildings its a Ludgarde Rueben. I didnt need planning, but that s something to check with youre own local authority as they all have different regulations. I do pay business tax on it though (although its not much). I have a chemical toilet in it, and a portable sink from the mobile sink company -(I only got it last month and I love it!) :green:

I used to work from my conservertory and although it wasnt a cheap option it was the best thing I ever did!:)

Latest posts

Back