Where to go from here?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RD Beauty

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am at a point where I don’t know where to take things next. I am home based and offer spray tans, lash lift and tint, eyebrow shape, gel polish, acrylic nails, manicure, and pedicure. I have been thinking of maybe doing some mobile as I am at the limit of what my local council will allow me to do from home without apply for change of purpose. (I would get refused where I am living now as they would not like the traffic increase)

I am wondering what treatments you all do?

What are your most popular treatments?

Whether your salon based, home salon based, or mobile?

What you find are your best marketing platforms?

We are all different, I like my home salon. Mobile appointments are only manicures/ pedicures/ eyebrow and lip wax treatments .Less stuff to cart around. and i don't need a portable couch.

I have 4 mobile clients , that's all. It is only because they cannot get to me as they are old, eyesight issues and no longer own a car. It is a hassle because I have every mortal thing I need at home, and when I do a mobile it is very annoying to pack stuff up and get there on time.
I am mrs forgetful and i often forget stuff which is very bad I know , but being in a rush to be puctual is why I do forget things. The client may ask "oh can I have that done today?" " Oh sorry I don't have that with me I say "Bit of a pain actually.
Popular treatments- In order of most perfomed treatments
Eyebrow/ lash tint/ pedicures/ waxing / gel nails/ manicures /facials/reflexology/ aromatherapy massage ( don't do that many because my neck and hands have quite painful arthritis.)
Marketing- i am not the best to ask as I never advertise , just word of mouth.
I hope that helps.

Thank you for your reply. I don’t like mobile either for the same reasons but I don’t think I will have a choice if I want to grow into a full time business and leave my part time job. X

We are all different, I like my home salon. Mobile appointments are only manicures/ pedicures/ eyebrow and lip wax treatments .Less stuff to cart around. and i don't need a portable couch.

I have 4 mobile clients , that's all. It is only because they cannot get to me as they are old, eyesight issues and no longer own a car. It is a hassle because I have every mortal thing I need at home, and when I do a mobile it is very annoying to pack stuff up and get there on time.
I am mrs forgetful and i often forget stuff which is very bad I know , but being in a rush to be puctual is why I do forget things. The client may ask "oh can I have that done today?" " Oh sorry I don't have that with me I say "Bit of a pain actually.
Popular treatments- In order of most perfomed treatments
Eyebrow/ lash tint/ pedicures/ waxing / gel nails/ manicures /facials/reflexology/ aromatherapy massage ( don't do that many because my neck and hands have quite painful arthritis.)
Marketing- i am not the best to ask as I never advertise , just word of mouth.
I hope that helps.

How many regular clients do you have in total?

As I am on a slow wind down I am not the best to ask really. You are at the beginning of your beauty career and have another job to create a more difficult decision than I first had just when my children were still babies.
My advertising methods are non existant too so a bit lacking in careers advice I'm sorry. All I have is 37 years experience in the industry.
I hope some other more up to date geek can jump onto the thread if they can help you to choose what to do next
RosieR

I do nails, lash lifts and tans and I have a home salon.
I can do up to 7 sets of acrylics per day and this is my far my most popular treatment.
Thankfully I live out in the countryside so there is nobody to complain about parking etc and most of my clients park in my drive anyway.
My clients are mostly regulars every 3 weeks and 6 weeks for lash lifts

Hi thank you for your replies so far. I work part time at the moment in my home salon and part time (15 hours a week in my day job)
I would love to give up my day job and do my nails and beauty full time but I need to grow by a significant amount before I can do that financially, and with my restrictions from the council I don’t see any other option but to push mobile even though I love my home salon and mobile is such a pain ‍♀️

Have you thought about renting a room in a salon to build up your business?

I don't think you should confuse additional treatments with increased traffic. What you want is the same number of visitors per day, spending more.

Find out what is important to your clients. Would they love to have more treatments from you? What's holding them back? Is it shortage of their time, their money or your menu?

So think about how to Upsell to respond to these concerns. Shortage of time means that you need to offer 2 or 3 in one treatments that are time efficient. Shortage of money means that you need to upgrade your clients to better more long lasting results with fewer visits. Your menu? Well find out what they'd love you to add - listen to your most loyal clients and your highest spending clients who have returned to you at least 5 times.

Add on treatments to the same clients that won't increase footfall include:.

A full body exfoliation with a spray tan
Henna brows (goes well with lash lifting) and improves an invisible, fine or wispy sparse brow.
Facial waxing/threading - include with brow treatments
Various collagen masks for lips, under eye area etc. I do an eye area facial with a brow treatment for double the brow tint and shape price.
Paraffin dips and masks to hands and feet whilst you are doing brows/lashes
A half leg wax to a pedi.
Foot massage added to pedi

Most won't add much to time either which suits time poor clients. Henna brows can convert fortnightly clients to monthly clients. And from your point of view, there isn't much training or practise time in these lttle extras.

Another thing to think about is to have a minimum spend per visit. Explain that it's because of your planning permission and you are only allowed X number of client visits per day. Find out if you have any clients who would love to come to you for 2 hours of pampering treats.

Hope this is food for thought

Have you thought about renting a room in a salon to build up your business?

I have yes and it is something I’m considering thank you.

I don't think you should confuse additional treatments with increased traffic. What you want is the same number of visitors per day, spending more.

Find out what is important to your clients. Would they love to have more treatments from you? What's holding them back? Is it shortage of their time, their money or your menu?

So think about how to Upsell to respond to these concerns. Shortage of time means that you need to offer 2 or 3 in one treatments that are time efficient. Shortage of money means that you need to upgrade your clients to better more long lasting results with fewer visits. Your menu? Well find out what they'd love you to add - listen to your most loyal clients and your highest spending clients who have returned to you at least 5 times.

Add on treatments to the same clients that won't increase footfall include:.

A full body exfoliation with a spray tan
Henna brows (goes well with lash lifting) and improves an invisible, fine or wispy sparse brow.
Facial waxing/threading - include with brow treatments
Various collagen masks for lips, under eye area etc. I do an eye area facial with a brow treatment for double the brow tint and shape price.
Paraffin dips and masks to hands and feet whilst you are doing brows/lashes
A half leg wax to a pedi.
Foot massage added to pedi

Most won't add much to time either which suits time poor clients. Henna brows can convert fortnightly clients to monthly clients. And from your point of view, there isn't much training or practise time in these lttle extras.

Another thing to think about is to have a minimum spend per visit. Explain that it's because of your planning permission and you are only allowed X number of client visits per day. Find out if you have any clients who would love to come to you for 2 hours of pampering treats.

Hope this is food for thought

Thank you for your helpful reply, yes these are things I am thinking about. Maybe putting together some pamper packages or something?

I am also qualified in facials and waxing so I’m thinking of adding these to my services list I just need some models to refresh myself and build confidence again

So I have gone for it and in a few weeks I am going to be renting space in a small hair salon just 1 day a week to start with. I can’t wait [emoji4]

I am so very pleased for you , well done ! You will not regret it , not for a moment.
RosieR x

Congrats, well done and good luck x

Thank you all I’m so excited to be back in a salon

Latest posts

Back