Where to have hair bleached

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamplemousse

Reaction score
I recently decided to dye my hair purple :eek:

My hair is naturally light brown, but I've dyed it a few times so its slightly lighter than that. I think most of the dye has faded (they were only semi-permanent dyes), and I'm pretty much back to my own colour now. I've read/heard that if you dye in any unnatural colour, you should bleach first.
I'm up for this, but I'd really appreciate some advice first:

1. Should I use a home bleach kit (if so, which? I read that Jerome Russell BBlonde is good) or should I go to a professional salon?
I've heard horror stories about home kits AND salons bleaching hair, but the salons I've looked at are asking ~£80, while as a home kit is under £6...

2. If I go to a professional, can anyone recommend anywhere around Merseyside/Cheshire? I even considered going to a college where they're training hairdressers - it would be cheaper. Or would that be hair suicide?

3. How would I go about touching up the bleach and the dye after dyeing? How often should I do that?

4. If anyone has ever done something similar before, can you give me any tips? I've looked at a few sites online, but they don't seem to agree, and a lot of them are for bleaching to turn you blonde only - I'm going a step further.

Thanks!

i can't help you very much as am not a hair geek but all i would say is dont do it yourself!!!

it's one thing using an all over tint yourself but i would never go near my own hair with bleach - get a professional to do it!!

(saying that my mum once bleached the ends of my hair to then put pink dye on - but that was the ends, i was prepared to have them cut off if it went drastically wrong!!)

hth xx

I recently decided to dye my hair purple :eek:

1. Should I use a home bleach kit (if so, which? I read that Jerome Russell BBlonde is good) or should I go to a professional salon?
I've heard horror stories about home kits AND salons bleaching hair, but the salons I've looked at are asking ~£80, while as a home kit is under £6...
By going to a professional you're paying for their expertise and experience so £80 for a professional vs £6 for someone who hasn't got a clue what they're doing isn't such a bad price.

2. If I go to a professional, can anyone recommend anywhere around Merseyside/Cheshire? I even considered going to a college where they're training hairdressers - it would be cheaper. Or would that be hair suicide?
They wouldn't offer the trainee services if they wrecked the hair of their clients.

3. How would I go about touching up the bleach and the dye after dyeing? How often should I do that?
You'd go back to your professional hairdresser, they'd also explain the maintenance before going ahead with the service.

4. If anyone has ever done something similar before, can you give me any tips? I've looked at a few sites online, but they don't seem to agree, and a lot of them are for bleaching to turn you blonde only - I'm going a step further.
The best thing you can do is go to a professional, they are the experts. They will give you a consultation and help you decide on what's best for your hair.

Don't do it yourself...... hairdressers have trained for this..... this is deffo a job for a professional.... sit back and enjoy the pampering xxx

hi honey don't do it yourself bleach lifts the color very quickly depending on the texture and color of your hair . you can end up with the ends lighter than the roots and i know your dying over it once it has been bleached but this can affect the overall color plus if there is any color left it will take longer for the color to lift. bleach can damage your hair if its in bad condition and not used in the correct way your hair can snap off <in the worse case> please please don't do it yourself . college would be fine a tutor would watch over then and they are trained and practice on each other before they are allowed to color .
salon or college will do a consultation with you a should take a sample of your hair to see how the bleach takes to it
hope you don't think I'm being a bossy boots its just Ive seen it done so many times when i was training loads came in to get the tutor to fix it :green:
hth

ditto what is said already. Great info and advice ladies..

hmmm 80 vs. 6......hair on your head vs. possibley fried hair on your head. Let's think about this.

Save up your money. Having it done by a professional is worth every penny.

Thank you all so much!

I've already had one home dye bad experience, and bleaching before dyeing purple is far more extreme than that time, when i was dyeing it a shade of brown (though it did end up being more than a bit purple). I should have learnt my lesson.

I'm going to have a look around for a pro today - or a college trainee. Then I can blame them :p

Thanks again,
Helen x

Latest posts

Back