Where to start?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimmi2506

Reaction score
Ok guys so bit about myself im 28 amd have 3 young boys and my partner. I have gone back to college after being on maternity leave from hair salon where i did beauty amd assisted. I learnt alot from the salon it just didnt work out for me there, anyway im in full time education learning level2 hairdressing. My question is what should i start offering or doing to gain customers i have alot of confidence when in college as i have my tutor to fall back on although never needed. I need to earn to help provide for family just dont know what to offer without forking our a fortune for colours ect.

Ok guys so bit about myself im 28 amd have 3 young boys and my partner. I have gone back to college after being on maternity leave from hair salon where i did beauty amd assisted. I learnt alot from the salon it just didnt work out for me there, anyway im in full time education learning level2 hairdressing. My question is what should i start offering or doing to gain customers i have alot of confidence when in college as i have my tutor to fall back on although never needed. I need to earn to help provide for family just dont know what to offer without forking our a fortune for colours ect.
Start with the basics that your are confident and competent in. Hair up? Blowdrying?
Setting?, hair cuts? Perming? But don't forgot you should have insurance to trade.

Definitely hair up is a good area to earn yourself a good reputation. I’d also focus on cutting as there’s no real outlay involved and if you work mobile, you can often do 2 or 3 people in the same household in one visit, thus saving travel costs.

I’d leave colour until you’re a lot more experienced as you don’t want to be stuck in the middle of a complex colour correction with no-one to ask advice from. Also, investing in colour products (permanent, semi, toners etc.), different types of bleach and and various developers can get quite costly so it might not be financially viable at the outset.

Definitely purchase public liability insurance. You might not ever make a serious mistake but from reading threads on here, there are certain types of clients, who, when they realise you’re potentially vulnerable (not insured) will attempt to sue you, even though they have no case. If you have to pay for your own legal representation, you’re likely to pay the client off, just to keep it from going to court.

Thank you for your replys what kind of prices should i be looking at. Also if i am doing a blow dry do i ask the client to
wash their hair before i come ect or get a mobile basin

you can begin from the basic, just like practice, practice, you can go to customers home or they can go to your home, later when you have much experience, you can open a salon.

Latest posts

Back