Where to work from?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coley92

Reaction score
Hi! I work as a nail tech but I'm due to go on maternity leave soon, I'm going to take a full year out. I'd like to keep doing nails so that I don't lose my touch and also because I'd like to build a portfolio using my own choice of products and techniques. My only problem is I don't know where to work from...I've been mobile in the past and it's really not for me I cannot be arsed to carry all that kit around,find parking, struggle with clients furniture etc... I also don't think I could do it from home because I rent and its my sanctuary lol The obvious place would be a room in a hairdressers but these are few and far between so I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas? I wouldn't mind being mobile to an extent e.g if I was in 1 place for the whole day.. what about barbers?

What area are you looking to work?

I'd just scout around the areas that you'd like to be based in.

See if you can find any businesses with the right space - with a handy power point or safe space to drape an extension lead, the right ventilation/temperature and light levels and passing trade or footfall. Approach them with a proposal - suggest a split of the takings, rather than a flat rate as the value of the site hasn't been established. You should suggest 20/40%. You could try offering a pop up event with mini manis to assess demand in a location - perhaps a charity fundraiser. Check out the staff - any that are actual clients or look like they could be?

A charity shop?

A bookshop?

A crafty jewellery store?

Boutique?

Estate agents?

Lingerie shop?

Shop selling skincare/nail Polish

Other classics are gyms and golf clubs and tanning salons. You should also check out nursing homes, hospitals and care Homes. The demand here will be for simple nail cutting and painting, but don't turn your nose up at this work.

I'd just scout around the areas that you'd like to be based in.

See if you can find any businesses with the right space - with a handy power point or safe space to drape an extension lead, the right ventilation/temperature and light levels and passing trade or footfall. Approach them with a proposal - suggest a split of the takings, rather than a flat rate as the value of the site hasn't been established. You should suggest 20/40%. You could try offering a pop up event with mini manis to assess demand in a location - perhaps a charity fundraiser. Check out the staff - any that are actual clients or look like they could be?

A charity shop?

A bookshop?

A crafty jewellery store?

Boutique?

Estate agents?

Lingerie shop?

Shop selling skincare/nail Polish

Other classics are gyms and golf clubs and tanning salons. You should also check out nursing homes, hospitals and care Homes. The demand here will be for simple nail cutting and painting, but don't turn your nose up at this work.

Thanks for the ideas I think hospitals and care homes would be great for a regular little gig not quite sure how I go about enquiring about such a thing though x

In hospitals there's usually a "friends of" group which you could approach. You need to think about whether you are tlc for visitors or bedside treats for patients. Maybe the Friends group could advise.

Nursing/care homes - pick up the phone and ask them if they offer a visiting therapist service. If they say yes, find out more to give you some ideas. If they say no, suggest that it might be appreciated by the residents.

I know a therapist who works almost exclusively in support centres for adults with learning difficulties and other support needs. Why shouldn't they have treats too? It's much less intimidating for people with disabilities to have a treatment in a space that they are familiar with - accompanied by people that they know.

Latest posts

Back