Which acetone free remover?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Carly*

Reaction score
About to put through my beauty express order and remembered I need some remover. I've been using Mundo and love it, but beauty express don't sell it. On myself and on clients with darker colours or glitter I often use neat acetone, as it's very effective so less scrubbing and evaporates off quickly, but if it's a pale colour, just a french or someone with an enhancement or repair I use acetone free. I'm still still training so feel free to tell me *nicely* if I'm doing something wrong. I like the mundo because it does actually work, I can get a red enamel off a nail without it bleeding and staining the eponychium or any dry skin, in the past I've used some terrible acetone free removers which just don't get the colour off and end up making a mess!

Has anyone had any experience with any of these and can tell me if they work and if they found they damaged enhancements? I don't actually enhance myself but don't want to ruin anyone else's enhancements or repairs.

PBREMOVER26.jpg

Thanks! x

Depends on what surface you are removing colour from. If it is solvent resistant (e.g. hard gel or the natural nail) then I would always use Acetone based. In fact, over most L&P enhancements I would too. Where I wouldn't would be over soft gels or wraps.

Is it fine to just use neat acetone as opposed to acetone based? Generally the only time I want to be careful is when it's over a nail with a silk + adhesive repair (that's how I've been told to make repairs, I'm not enhancement trained so can't use resin). What would be best to use over that?

Ive never had a problem with any at all.

For red or any other colours likely to bleed what i do is soak a cotton pad in it, hold it over the finger for a minute and then pull it off and away. No mess then.

Buffered Acetone (e.g. diluted with a bit of water or an acetone based polish remover) will generally work much faster and cause less damage to surfaces that are not solvent sensitive. In this case where adhesive (or resin... really same thing) is the surface (silk+adhesive)... you would want to avoid using acetone as adhesive is very solvent sensitive (just like soft gels and some L&P).

In short, you are right to look for a non acetone option... but hope the above helps others :)

Thank you both for your replies. I use Seche Vite top coat and because it is so thick (and glossy and marvellous!) I think that's why some acetone free removers don't do a good enough job as there's a thick layer of top coat to get through, the Mundo one was fab. I think I'll give the Skin Truth one a go, matches my cuticle softener and the packaging looks cute. As I said, it's really just for the odd nail that's got a bit of silk on it and I definitely feel it's something that is good to have to hand.

Meanwhile I'm gonna take The Geek's advice and dilute my acetone down a bit. Bit of water and glycerine sounds right?

x

Latest posts

Back