Which colour brand?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat_cuts

Reaction score
So ive got a new job and in this new salon i have to supply my own colours!
Exciting!
But im unsure of what to use, i currently use a mix of wella and milkshake in the salon im about to leave. But ive been looking in the suppliers and XP100 and Rusk are both cheaper than wella but are they as good???

And thoughts??

Thank you so much x

Are you fully self employed or on a wage?

Self employed

No, they're not as good. I can't speak for rusk as I've never tried it but back when I was doing my level two I tried xp100. Its cheap for a reason, stinks of cat wee and just doesnt perform well. Wella is brilliant and consistent I'd stick with that.

Ok so ill stick with wella then.
Or are there any other brands just as good or better that you would recommend?

Exciting!
But im unsure of what to use, i currently use a mix of wella and milkshake in the salon im about to leave. But ive been looking in the suppliers and XP100 and Rusk are both cheaper than wella but are they as good???

And thoughts??

Thank you so much x

I use Joico and wella xxx

I like L’Oréal, Goldwell, Tigi, Wella and Alfaparf.

I’ve used Matrix but was less keen on their revamped oil based tints so haven’t used it for a while.

Not used Joico or Aveda but both well respected salon only brands.

I also like Guy Tang’s Mydentity range for pastel colours.

Wella would also be my first choice.
I also use a lot of Framesi and I like this too, it is slightly cheaper than wella, and performs well.
I have also dabbled in Colorissimo, this is cheaper again, and isn't too bad. Grey coverage is good, vibrant colours are vibrant, cool tones are cool, the only major let down for me is that they don't have a semi /quasi range, and obviously the Highlift blondes aren't the best, but they still work on bases 7+.

Exciting!

And thoughts??

Thank you so much x

I’m going to follow this thread as I’m in the same situation. I’m starting a new job and have to supply my own colours. I’ve always used Wella or Kenra but the salon where I’ll be renting a chair from uses velvasilk, as this is practically identical to Wella I was wondering if anyone had used it before I buy it as I am wary of using a new brand but as I’ll be self employed the price of the velvasilk is appealing. Thanks in advance.

I’m going to follow this thread as I’m in the same situation. I’m starting a new job and have to supply my own colours. I’ve always used Wella or Kenra but the salon where I’ll be renting a chair from uses velvasilk, as this is practically identical to Wella I was wondering if anyone had used it before I buy it as I am wary of using a new brand but as I’ll be self employed the price of the velvasilk is appealing. Thanks in advance.

Oooo im interested in finding out a bit more of velvasilk now, ive not heard of it before.
I wonder how much that is per tube and how it performs compared to wella

I use some Xp100 and once you know how to use it it is good. I would give it a try, the .00 range is great for coverage and their toners are great! I also use mood hair colour which is really good but a bit more limited. Xp offer permanent and demi permanent shades. Alot of really reputable salons do use it but i think alot of people are too scared to venture out from using everyday brands which is fine i use a mix of everything myself

I have just started using Montibello and have to say i am really pleased. I trained in wella but the price is silly, have also used osmo ikon & xp100 which were both ok xx

I've used Wella for around 2 years I like it, Goldwell are also really good too.

Rusk actually has a few of my go-to colours in their range, their reds and coppers are lovely and the browns cover grey really well, although always go a shade higher than you want to achieve because they do come out quite dark. Also they give the hair a lovely shine. I wouldn’t use the blondes but that’s just my opinion, I prefer wella blondes and L’Oréal semis and love guy tang for silvers and pastels

I've used Wella, Keune, Aveda, Paul Mitchell, Matrix and Clynol. But my favourite by far is Goldwell - superb high lifts and really impressive performance.

Latest posts

Back