Which course for beginners, UK?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate0201

Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to become a nail technician from home and I wondered what was the best course to do? I looked at the beautyacademy.org and this seems all right. But I don't want to do a course that isn't a good one any way. I'm not sure which are good ones? Does anyone have any advice? Thank you!

I did the VTCT level 3 in Nail Technology course at a local beauty school part time. They also used advanced learner loans. I thoroughly enjoyed it and loved how in-depth it was xx

Hi all,

I want to become a nail technician from home and I wondered what was the best course to do? I looked at the beautyacademy.org and this seems all right. But I don't want to do a course that isn't a good one any way. I'm not sure which are good ones? Does anyone have any advice? Thank you!

Whichever course you opt for, don’t be tempted to do any these one/two days courses, as you can’t possibly learn everything there is to know in such a ridiculously short space of time.

Most of the major nail brands offer education, and offer locations all over the UK.

We sent one of our girls to the Susan Gerrard Beauty Academy which is part of Gerrard International, she absolutely raved about the trainer as she was so passionate. It is an in depth course and you can pick and choose additional modules. As a salon owner I agree never to go for these one or two day courses, you just cannot learn in that time, you must protect both yourself and potential clients.

We sent one of our girls to the Susan Gerrard Beauty Academy which is part of Gerrard International, she absolutely raved about the trainer as she was so passionate. It is an in depth course and you can pick and choose additional modules. As a salon owner I agree never to go for these one or two day courses, you just cannot learn in that time, you must protect both yourself and potential clients.

Interestingly your second post recommending this same academy....you don’t happen to work for them do you?

Whichever course you opt for, don’t be tempted to do any these one/two days courses, as you can’t possibly learn everything there is to know in such a ridiculously short space of time.

Most of the major nail brands offer education, and offer locations all over the UK.
You can learn in 1-2 days, if tutor is actually good. I have learnt in 2 days to do fantastic nails. I have attached pictures of nails I have done in those 2 days. But I went to Riga in Latvia and paid 230 Euros for 2 days course. All depends on tutor. So if anyone wants to do good nails, they should look at tutor's nail jobs.

Attachments

• IMG_20190203_201023_493-01.jpeg
    IMG_20190203_201023_493-01.jpeg
    500.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG-5462-02.jpeg
    IMG-5462-02.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20190127_174619-01-01.jpeg
    IMG_20190127_174619-01-01.jpeg
    578.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-5462-01.jpeg
    IMG-5462-01.jpeg
    737.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-5506-01.jpeg
    IMG-5506-01.jpeg
    430.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-5443-01.jpeg
    IMG-5443-01.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20190203_200605_706-01.jpeg
    IMG_20190203_200605_706-01.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 28
You can learn in 1-2 days, if tutor is actually good. I have learnt in 2 days to do fantastic nails. I have attached pictures of nails I have done in those 2 days. But I went to Riga in Latvia and paid 230 Euros for 2 days course. All depends on tutor. So if anyone wants to do good nails, they should look at tutor's nail jobs.

With respect, did you also learn nail anatomy and theory in 2 days too then? ;)

I did a course with Young Nails, which I think is a fairly respected brand. It was only 3 days long. In hindsight, I wish I’d gone to college but being an older lady, with little spare time, I couldn’t afford to take time the time off work and there were no evening classses. However, I will be taking an assessment within the next few weeks and I’m expecting to pass. I did nail anatomy in day one and that was it.

Did you learn nail anatomy and theory in 2 days too then? ;)
I am intelligent enough to be able to learn myself. And yes, we covered anatomy too. And how to do sterilisation of tools, and how to clean working area, and how to pick base/top coat depending on clients nails, and how to do nail leveling, and how to do russian manicure, and how to pic drill bit for customer cuticles, and how to shape nails, and how to "many other things"

Thanks everyone. I'm considering the beauty academy in Birmingham or Ellison's in Coventry. But I've done research and I'm none the wiser! I've I'm not sure which one is best! I think they are both more than a few days long - what with the manicure, pedicure and gel polish.

Interestingly your second post recommending this same academy....you don’t happen to work for them do you?
No, I don't. I appreciate recommendations from other users and thought they would appreciate the same.

Latest posts

Back