Which course for newbie wanting to start out?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamz18

Reaction score
Hello knowledgeable ones!!

I’m wanting a career change and am desperate to get into the nail tech industry. I’ve literally done so much research about what companies are about that offer courses etc but I’m still no better off with deciding where to go. Also the prices of some of the courses are so expensive...why do they all differ if they are more or less training people untimely the same end product? I’m really liking what I see with the gel bottle inc but also ink London ....however ink London doesn’t offer a course that covers everything like the gel bottle inc does ...I’m torn with what to start off with and with who?!! My thinking is that I should go full steam ahead and learn everything in one go at the start so I have a solid foundation to start on rather than just the gel manicure qualification under my belt..I think my family is sick of hearing me being so indecisive about things now hence why I’m come on here as I’m sure I can’t be the only one who has been through this! Ultimately this decision could be the start of a life changing career move for me if it all works out how I want it to so I want to make sure I’m making the right decision first time round. If you’ve got to the end of this massive indecisive mess thanks for taking the time out to read and give advise! It’s really appreciated!

Welcome to Salon Geek! I think it's great that you are being so thorough with your research and it's sure to stand you in good stead.

Have you considered doing a complete level 3 Nail Tech qualification through a college? They often offer evening classes if taking regular time out during the day is an issue. You also may be entitled to an adult learner loan?
By doing it this way you will get lots of hands in practice, a tutor on hand to help you over a longer period of time whilst you perfect your technique and (hopefully!) yo should be taught according to the latest standards and receive an industry recognised qualification at the end.

After the course you can choose whichever brand you want and would be able to do conversion courses with the brand you choose. (These are very useful to help you understand differences in application of a brand).

I would definitely recommend INK London as well. They're a lovely company and their products are great. They also have a really good Facebook group.

I have been using The Gel Bottle alongside INK, but I think INK are the better brand to be honest.

Good luck with whichever route you choose to go down.

You will get different answers regarding which brands to train with as we all have our personal favourites, I tried Ink and decided it wasn’t for me.

I’d also recommend a college course due to the amount of time you’ll get to practice and it takes much more practice than many think.
My college course was a bit outdated however I had a tutor on hand to watch over me and you will learn the theory which is essential and seems to be either lacking in many courses or the exams aren’t thorough.

The course usually provides your kit and once you’ve had a chance to use it you’ll have a better idea what you’re looking for in a product.

Thank you both for your advise! Very helpful to get other people’s opinions on what will help a total newbie out! Will check out what courses are available and take it from there! Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back