Which gel polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lacajaja

Reaction score
Hi I’m currently looking for possibly a new gel polish. Currently using shellac but feeling a bit bored of the colours and considering investing in a different brand. Can anyone rec brands that are fab on natural nails.

Tia x

It's a big step introducing a different brand or replacing an existing one because to test them properly you need the complete system, so ideally you want to be as sure as you can be before actually investing so you don't waste your money.

Have you already got any brands in mind? When I was looking for a new brand I narrowed it down to two as I kept reading good things about them (here and on other forums/Facebook groups). Both brands had active Facebook groups which I joined and followed for some time and also used to ask other nail techs any questions I had. This gave me more confidence to make a decision.

The two brands were INK London and The Gel Bottle. As it goes I actually now use both! I like them both for different reasons and I was prepared to buy the complete system, including lamps for both.

Both these brands are really good on natural nails, but TGB is known for its Builder in a Bottle (BIAB), which can either be used as an extra strong base coat or as an overlay onto natural nails (or tips or firms). INK have a fluid rubber Base called Flubber and Cover Flubber, which also adds a lot more strength. The downside to all these type of base coats is increase in soak off time though, but most clients will easily get 3 weeks wear from their gel polish.

Thanks for such a fab reply.
Another reason I am considering changing is some shellac colours fade when abroad mainly pinks which is a popular colour for holidays but have ladies coming back with zero colour left!!! And just not finding it strong enough for ladies who don’t have super strong nails.

Any fading with TGB

I was looking at gellux (as shop very close by) had it on for 2 weeks and hasn’t budged but took it off today and ended up having to file off acetone just wasn’t lifting it!

And also the gel bottle. I ordered 2in 1 base coat a colour and extreme top coat. Trying this next.
I have done exactly what you said and joined the forum. And loving TGB colours. But kept seeing this biab being used and wondered what TGB is like without this?

So BIAB i can use as a basecoat? Presuming a thin coat? And if doing an overlay a couple coats?? Is it literally just brushed on or
Can it be built up to create shape/curve in the nail?
Sorry for all the questions but I feel really inclined to go for TGB.
How does it soak if just using the gel colours and no BIAB.
And is BIAB soak off also?

Thankyou so much

So, with BIAB you can either use it as a basecoat with one reasonably thick layer (it's totally different from Shellac's "thin to win". In fact their line is "thick to stick!"), or you can use it to build an overlay. You can apply a "slip layer" and without curing, go in with a thicker "blob" and manoeuvre it with the brush to create an apex where you need it. It's a good idea to flash cure one nail at a time, a) to stop the BIAB sliding into the sidewalls and losing your apex (it self levels) and b) it helps to avoid heat spikes - although TGB own lamp has a low heat setting to avoid this. (BIAB is prone to heat spikes!)

If I am just doing gel polish for a client, I use Rubber Base rather than BIAB. It's easier to soak off than BIAB - which can be soaked off, but it takes a long time and is better infilled imo. Bare in mind, none of the products will soak off as quickly as Shellac though!

Take a look at YouTube for tips on application of BIAB. There's quite a few. Also TGB educators and ambassadors often post tutorials on the Facebook group, or post links to their Instagram or YouTube. Definitely worth looking for.

One more tip, just in case you're not aware, after doing cuticle work and shaping the nail prior to application of TGB products, only use acetone on the nail plate, no other dehydrators or binders are necessary. BIAB containers Base coat (apart from clear BIAB) so you can then go straight in with that if that's what you're using.

With regard to colour fading abroad, I think certain colours are more prone to it regardless of the brand to be honest, but certainly haven't noticed any serious fading. There are lots and lots of Shellac techs who have either swapped over to TGB or are running them both side by side. I would definitely recommend getting TGB lamp as well though and not rely on a CND one as the 2 brands are completely different. X

Brilliant Thankyou :)
I know I think it’s going to be hard to get used to removal after using shellac for so long it comes off like a dream! But will give TGB a trial run on my nails these next couple weeks and see where I go with it :)

I’ve just been watching some videos of Biab application. Haven’t watched a removal video yet. Aslong as it soaks off and doesn’t end up needing filing off I think my clients should be happy .

More questions to come no doubt.

Brilliant Thankyou :)
I know I think it’s going to be hard to get used to removal after using shellac for so long it comes off like a dream! But will give TGB a trial run on my nails these next couple weeks and see where I go with it :)

I’ve just been watching some videos of Biab application. Haven’t watched a removal video yet. Aslong as it soaks off and doesn’t end up needing filing off I think my clients should be happy .

More questions to come no doubt.
If I'm totally honest, I wouldn't use BIAB if I was going to soak it off each time. It's quicker to infill it and because it rarely lifts there's no need to remove it anyway, which also means the natural nail underneath isn't being subjected to drying acetone every 2-3 weeks.

If you're looking for a stronger, longer lasting gel,polish that you can soak off each time , I'd try using Rubber Base under TGB gel polish and Extreme Shine Top. X

Maybe consider PRIMA? It has a unique pigmentation chemistry so it covers in only one thin colour coat. No shrinkage or colour fading. The shine on the top coat is also exception. And it is hypoallergenic.

PRIMA is made in Sweden and compliant with all EU cosmetics laws.
Professionals only.

I use Ink London as my second brand. And love it. More people ask for it now than shellac. The flubber base coat is great.

The good thing about lower tier brands is that theres a large variety of colors. Remember though, the thing youre looking to get out of other brands is color choice. Its use is on a short term basis. The longer you use it, the more problems it will give you.

The good thing about lower tier brands is that theres a large variety of colors. Remember though, the thing youre looking to get out of other brands is color choice. Its use is on a short term basis. The longer you use it, the more problems it will give you.

The OP hasn't asked for a "Lower tier" brand and nobody is suggesting one.

This makes zero sense. :rolleyes:

This makes zero sense. :rolleyes:
I have expertise in Occupational Safety. Here's my thinking:

When you deal with chemicals in your occupation, you have to take certain precautions. Nails is a profession that deals with chemicals everyday. There's also egonomic hazards for example doing pedicures all day can take a toll on your back and hands. But thats for a different thread.

When you do nails, you're in a period called the Induction period. This is period where your skin and the chemical meets a point where they are no longer compatible, meaning that you will have a permanent allergic reaction and even the slightest interaction will cause a breakout.

The reason why I keep saying Gels besides CND are bad is simply because gels, when improperly cured, is putting you through an induction period. Its actually very hard to cure gels properly. Ive said before that even OPI cannot cure their gels properly. Theyve been reenginnering their lamp and its still not done.

Last edited:
I have expertise in Occupational Safety. Here's my thinking:

When you deal with chemicals in your occupation, you have to take certain precautions. Nails is a profession that deals with chemicals everyday. There's also egonomic hazards for example doing pedicures all day can take a toll on your back and hands. But thats for a different thread.

When you do nails, you're in a period called the Induction period. This is period where your skin and the chemical meets a point where they are no longer compatible, meaning that you will have a permanent allergic reaction and even the slightest interaction will cause a breakout.

The reason why I keep saying Gels besides CND are bad is simply because gels, when improperly cured, is putting you through an induction period. Its actually very hard to cure gels properly. Ive said before that even OPI cannot cure their gels properly. Theyve been reenginnering their lamp and its still not done.

I think shellac is great. But also love other brands such as Ink London. Gellish etc. And have used there products as well.

To call them second tier is hardly fair and if they were so bad and harmful etc they would be banned. Regardless if the beauty industry is so unregulated If products hurt or cause illness to people in droves. They will be banned

To throw my thoughts in here I spent the longest time deciding on my dream gel polish brand and I'm so happy I did because in that time Ikon.iQ Nails appeared on the scene.
Being fully hypoallergenic tweaked my radar antenna originally as it fits well with my ethos of optimum natural nail care.
Further investigation uncovered some additional delights with the Prime gel range beyond my expectations... Really positive application (I can get insanely close to cuticles and side walls without a problem), genuinely one colour coat (I can often cover two nails with one normal brush load), the high level of pigmentation also makes it a brilliant nail art gel. It speeds up application times and it soaks off fine considering I'm quite spoilt and used to Bio Sculpture which practically falls off in one lump.
In preparation for my move into a salon environment I've just checked my costs per service and it's a winner on that score too.

I originally only wanted gel polish but like the product so much I've gone for the whole system which includes some fab acrygels. I've already picked up two new clients that normally can't wear gels because of a history of allergies. Both are over the moon and as far as I can see these ladies represent an untapped market... which for the time being in my locality is mine all mine! [emoji2]

Last edited:
I've been using CND and have to agree Ink London is fantastic..great price too and really easy to remove x

Lol, in my post it should have read Prima not Prime- flippin Amazon spellchecker!

To throw my thoughts in here I spent the longest time deciding on my dream gel polish brand and I'm so happy I did because in that time Ikon.iQ Nails appeared on the scene.
[emoji2]

Thanks for the super review and recommendation Alison. We're happy you waited for us!

Maybe consider PRIMA? It has a unique pigmentation chemistry so it covers in only one thin colour coat. No shrinkage or colour fading. The shine on the top coat is also exception. And it is hypoallergenic.

PRIMA is made in Sweden and compliant with all EU cosmetics laws.
Professionals only.
Oh I've never heard of prima, thanks Bob

Latest posts

Back