Which IBD bonder or primer should I be using?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I am currently using IBD LED/UV Builder gel (Hard Gel) for my gel extension sets, I have an LED/UV lamp. I am also currently using IBD Powerbond directly before applying the builder gel. I buff the nail and use a dehydrator immediately before applying the Powerbond. I am still experiencing lifting on some of my clients and am therefore having trouble when doing infills as the lifts just keep filing away.
Should I be using a more suitable IBD Primer or bonder before applying the hard gel? I have attached photos of the 2 products that I'm currently using together.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 87106_2.jpg
    87106_2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 44
  • sku61177_field325.jpg
    sku61177_field325.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 41
Before you test out and mix brands, you should ensure your application and prep is in order. :) You don't mention if you also cleanse the nail prior to applying primer/bonder? If you don't thoroughly cleanse the nail (a quick wipe won't suffice) there will still be dust residue left on the nail when you prime, and there will be lifting. During and after application, make sure the structure and apex is where it should be and there is a proper C curve for strength. If the nail is too thick near the cuticle or free edge, that could cause lifting too because the balance is off. So without a photo of your work, I can't advise on whether that is an issue. As for a great primer, there is Young Nails protein bond, which is magical. It works with most systems. Good luck :)

Before you test out and mix brands, you should ensure your application and prep is in order. :) You don't mention if you also cleanse the nail prior to applying primer/bonder? If you don't thoroughly cleanse the nail (a quick wipe won't suffice) there will still be dust residue left on the nail when you prime, and there will be lifting. During and after application, make sure the structure and apex is where it should be and there is a proper C curve for strength. If the nail is too thick near the cuticle or free edge, that could cause lifting too because the balance is off. So without a photo of your work, I can't advise on whether that is an issue. As for a great primer, there is Young Nails protein bond, which is magical. It works with most systems. Good luck :)

Thankyou for your help. I usually use Gellux prep and wipe. Would I cleanse using this immediately after buffing and filing the nail, then use a dehydrator and a Bonder/primer? I was also advised not to mix brands. Have you used the protein bond you suggested with Ibd builder gel?

Thanks

Thankyou for your help. I usually use Gellux prep and wipe. Would I cleanse using this immediately after buffing and filing the nail, then use a dehydrator and a Bonder/primer? I was also advised not to mix brands. Have you used the protein bond you suggested with Ibd builder gel?

Thanks

I have not used protein bond with IBD builder gel but I have used it with Lilly Nails and CND Brisa with good results. But more often than not, I will use the primer that belongs to the system, so I mostly use Lilly Nails primer with Lilly Nails gel. But for problem lifters and nail biters, I will whip out the protein bond, and many others swear by that bonder as well :)
When you cleanse the nail after buffing the nail plate, you need to make sure you get rid of all the dust residue. That is why I mentioned a quick surface wipe probably won't suffice, as you won't get the dust that settles in the corners and sidewalls. Whether you do this with a lint free wipe or a brush isn't as important, as long as the nail is free of dead skin and dust. Then your nail is clean and ready for the rest of the appliation.

Latest posts

Back