Which is better-All Over Bleach or Highlights?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkyWinky

Reaction score
I have a few questions and I'm wondering if anyone on here can help me.

This past August I got bored of my dyed brown hair and decided to go back to blonde.
The hairdresser I initially went to (don't go to them anymore as they were to expensive and didn't do any better of a job than the cheaper places) stripped my hair twice with L'Oreal Effasor and then did a t-section of highlights and dark brown tint all over to cover the colour the Effasor had left.

What I had asked for was an all over, block colour of light ash blonde and was told that the bast way to achieve it is to gradually highlight the hair, I asked about all over bleach and was told this would be too damaging to the hair as they would have to overlap.

I changed hairdressers and this new one also told me that the best way to get the shade of blonde that I want is to go for highlights as if I went for all over bleach it would overlap.

Thing is I am not getting the colour I want because for starters every time I leave the salon I still have roots cause not all of the hair is dyed and every time she highlight my hair she is in fact overlapping previously highlighted hair therefore in theory causing damage.
I keep telling her to go lighter and she keeps insisting on keeping my colour "nice and natural" I don't want natural I want light, bright pale blonde hair.

Why is it that so many hairdressers seem to be so reluctant to bleach the hair all over? Surely it's better for your hair in the long run because once you've bleached and toned the hair the once you only have to do the roots which means no overlap.

I absolutely HATE highlights and want a more solid blonde look, at the moment from the roots to just below jaw (virgin hair) the highlights seem to be quite bright and ash toned but from that point down the rest is more of a golden blonde, it's like I have reverse ombre hair!

Would any salon bleach out all over now that I have so many highlights in already? I'm prepared to have it cut into a bob to get rid of the brassiness and help the condition if it means getting the desired shade.

Thanks

Where abouts are you in uk? Your profile is very basic. without seeing your hair id say it's got a lot of colour build up which is why the ends are getting no lighter, so have a good amount off and reasses the situation next year but in THEORY your right but it doesn't work like
that!!

If you have been to 2 salons and this is their advice then take it, they can see asks feel you're hair and if 2 have said it then I would listen.
As for reluctance to bleach full head, it all depends on your natural colour, previous tints, how many colours you have had and the condition of the hair.
With then refusing to do a full head it seems to me that your hair just won't stand up to it. But do ask them to tone it with an ash toner and get a silver shampoo, the toning and continual toning shampoo should help it appear lighter than what it is xoxo

Also Hun they may not be going over your previously highlighted hair and just doing the root or if you are explaining you want to get as light as poss they could be doing roots and take the bleach through to the ends on only the darker areas so as not to touch the previously bleached hair. it will take a few goes to get really light, I tend to go from dark to blonde alot and always go down the highlights route as it's a bit kinder to the hair but as said before we can't really say %100 without seeing and feeling your hair :)

I do have quite a bit of colour build up on the ends of my hair which is why I'm prepared to have that cut off to just below jaw length, however my hair is strong and my stylist know this because she comment on it every time I go.

My hair is also very frizzy and coarse but it's always been like that a lot of salons I've gone to in the past have confused this with damage but it's not.

I've had highlights in the past for about a year and a half straight and I still found that it wasn't a uniform colour all over there's always little strands of you natural colour coming and they never seem to get very close to the root, how long would I have to keep having highlights in order to be all over blonde?

I ask her to tone it ash each time I'm there but she seems to just not listen, also last time she did my hair she used a couple of tints in addition to bleach and I swear my hair looked darker than when I went in.

My natural hair is a dark blonde and bleaches really well to a pale blonde it's the ends that are the problem.

I do have quite a bit of colour build up on the ends of my hair which is why I'm prepared to have that cut off to just below jaw length, however my hair is strong and my stylist know this because she comment on it every time I go.

My hair is also very frizzy and coarse but it's always been like that a lot of salons I've gone to in the past have confused this with damage but it's not.

I've had highlights in the past for about a year and a half straight and I still found that it wasn't a uniform colour all over there's always little strands of you natural colour coming and they never seem to get very close to the root, how long would I have to keep having highlights in order to be all over blonde?

I ask her to tone it ash each time I'm there but she seems to just not listen, also last time she did my hair she used a couple of tints in addition to bleach and I swear my hair looked darker than when I went in.

My natural hair is a dark blonde and bleaches really well to a pale blonde it's the ends that are the problem.

well if you thought going blonde was an easy task believe me its not, about 2 years ago i decided to go from my natural (level 5) hair to level 10 and it was a nightmare! my hair was bleach bathed, as this was a little bit gentler than initial full on bleaching,an ash toner was applied and I was up to a level 7/8 at this stage and kept going back for full heads of highlights, but because my natural hair regrowth was so dark in comparision I went back to dark because it was too high maintenance.
you could ask your stylist if she would do a gentlle bleach bath on your hair to strip out any brassiness, and then apply a high level tint and toner to get you to a block colour of blonde. ask and see what she says, but usually if 2 salons have been reluctant to do this to your hair, you maybe need to reassess the blonde and try going darker for a period of time to let your hair be healthy again. xx

Frizzy hair is the worst to bleach as color expands inside the hair shaft leaving it thicker and frizzier i come across this everyday and have a few clients i have taken to a pale blonde but it takes a lot of time and a lot of bleach and a lot of toner full head bleach you can do yourself at home if your that desperate but i would not recommend it and no matter how strong your hair is repeated bleach will break it i gaurante it hun, if youv had 2-3 full head hi lites you should be pretty blonde by now pls pls remember that their are 2-3 different tones in each color asw a general rule if you really want to be pale blonde take the plunge and go really short and by really short i mean pixie short then get a full head bleach done but take heed no hairdresser will do a full head bleach with peroxide above 6% so you will be lucky if u find one.

Latest posts

Back