Which machine and solutions and where to buy them?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautifulBW

Reaction score
Hi all :)

Doing my level 2 beauty therapies course at the moment and just done the tanning, first time ever I saw a spray tan lol.. So no idea what's normal, so to speak. After learning I had a go myself and was sprayed by the tutor. I didn't like the spray, I felt like I couldn't breathe and it sprayed unevenly and the spray went all over the place.. Is this normal? Today I have patchy and orangey tan which I don't personally like I would be annoyed if payed money for it. Perhaps I'm just fussy ha ha!

We used Sienna X 8%, I'm quite pale naturally.

Just wondering, as I now need to buy my own products, what to go for, which machine is the best (home and mobile, not too busy, working on my own, fitting around family). Which products to choose etc etc?

And where to buy from? Complete novice!

I have seen plenty on eBay and Amazon but I'm a little weary of cheap China ones.

Thank you! X

Please search the forum. Lots of threads with information :)

I use Sienna X all the time and I've never had a problem. I trained directly with them and they were superb.
Sounds to me that too much spray was coming out of the gun as it shouldn't go everywhere let alone patchy. Buy Sienna X direct from their website - don't risk buying cheap fake stuff especially as a tan is very noticeable.
Feel free to PM me for any more help :)

Your tanning experience at college reminded me of when they trained us. The machine was playing up terribly and it was horrible. I felt sorry for the girl getting tanned, what a mess.

You'd be best to try out a few solutions and decide which is best but for a novice tanner who is very pale, a 6% SiennaX would be ideal for you.

With regards to purchasing a machine, a T200 or True Spray Machine from Siennax would be ideal. They are the updated version which I have and is great for starting out or doing the occasional tan.

If you are off to a beauty show anytime soon, you can sometimes get deals there or try out Sallys or Salons direct etc website for ideas.

Contact as many tanning suppliers that you can and ask them to send you samples. You will be amazed at how many different tans there are and how each can look, feel and wear differently. There's lots of offers on.

I started off with St. Tropez, hands on method....very nice but the majority of clients want a quick and easy spray tan.

I then went to do my training with LA Tan. I bought the kit, solution, tent, spray gun etc. It wasn't for me. Fade off wasn't good, very drying to the skin, and all in all I didn't really like the product. Customer services were lovely and helpful, their prices were good and as a company I liked them. I also now a lot of people who love this product, it's down to personal choice and experience.

I trialed many different brands. I liked a lot of them, but I eventually went for Fake Bake for my business Have to say I love it, my clients love it and I'm still happily using my same tent and gun from several years ago.
What one person loves another will hate. Only you can work out for yourself what is ideal for you. X

Thank you! I know this has been asked before, it's the "where can I buy them from" that I really need to establish lol..!

I have contacted a few and I am hopefully getting some samples. I think the main part is the machine which I'm really confused about.

Also, one of my friends told me to go for a green based solution, not the orange one, how would I know?

You probably think I'm really silly now, lol..

Thank you! I know this has been asked before, it's the "where can I buy them from" that I really need to establish lol..!

I have contacted a few and I am hopefully getting some samples. I think the main part is the machine which I'm really confused about.

Also, one of my friends told me to go for a green based solution, not the orange one, how would I know?

You probably think I'm really silly now, lol..
I don't think you're silly at all.

Most professional brands wouldn't be orange based, the green/blue you mention is an ingredient added to pretty much all professional tanning solutions these days. This prevents the client from looking orange.

I would suggest you do a Google search on professional spray tanning solutions, then write all the names of the products down, plus contact details. I would then contact each supplier, either by phone or email and ask them for samples of different shades and percentages.

Beauty shows are an excellent way of collecting information on products and special deals.

Ref the machine. The spray tan suppliers generally sell the tents and the guns.
There's lots of suppliers on here or simply Google and contact them via phone number supplied. Here's a few to start you off with Novatan, LA Tan, Crazy Angel, Laurens Way, Exposed, Fake Bake, St Tropez plus lots more.

As for the issues you encountered when sprayed, Was an extractor fan used? The settings don't sound like they were set correctly, could be an old machine which needs cleaning or new parts. Needle may be old, blocked or dirty. theres lots of issues that could've caused the problems you encountered.

good luck x

Personally the best spray tan outcome is using a solution that is red based looks like a sunbed tan no ORANGE, all our Organics range is red based.

Another brand which we find very popular for gentle tanning is our fresh indulgence range.

You can search for feedback regarding these solutions on salon geek over the years.

Good luck :)

I've recently changed from Moroccan Tan to Sunescape and am loving it and so are my customers. At the Scottish Beauty I tried out Exposed which gave a good colour also, but for me it is Sunescape all the way now. As others have said just try a few samples.

Hi I would recommend the same as most above - get sampling :)

Suntana do a free samples pack for new customers which includes all 5 x solutions. Premium natural organic blend with skin nourishing ingredients - A winner for me but see what suits you and your clients taste.
Regarding equipment Maximist is a brand I would highly recommend! For beginners in low / moderate use I would recommend the Lite plus / SprayMate TNT.

Hope you managed to remove your tan :eek: Sunless Sun (above) have a tan removal kit most rave about on here ;)

Latest posts

Back