which make-up range for NVQ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellapet

Reaction score
hiya guys,

I am quite new to the beauty industry and im doing a NVQ in makeup. I want to buy a kit so that i can practise at home on my friends etc. Could anyone reccomend me good kit/brand to purchase as i dont no where to start. Any info would be a huge help.:lol:

Thanks
love
Bella
xxxx

hi there . im doing that same course at the mo. i brought the kit from my college . its called sbc ( simply beautiful cosmetics ) . this cost me £110 but i have seen the same kits from a suplier on ebay for arounf £45-£60!! u will still need to buy a few essentials for ur kit separate . u can get these from places like sallys hair and beauty and ellisons . I needed to add lilac and green concealers. spatulars( for hygiene) and also disposable mascara wands etc . these were quite cheap and u can get a discount card for sallys as u r studying an nvq . I studyed at a private centre and im doing my portfolio at home . which i find quite hard . i have done all my essential knowledge but have still got my case studies to do but if u need an help give me a shout !!! hth

Hi
I worked as a make up artist for Estee Lauder for many years and still freelance now. I would add to your collection with individual pieces rather than buying a kit. I imagine the majority of your clients will be Brides (I might be wrong!) Obviously their make up has to last all day and night so I swear by Max Factor Lipfinity lipstick (doesn't come off!) and Age Renew foundation by Max Factor is lovely. Urban Decay do some amazing eyeshadows. I always use lipstick as blusher (?) as it gives a lovely 'blush' rather than a stripe of powder.
Your make up will set you back quite a bit of cash but its essential , so make sure you get loads of bookings to replenish your stock.
Good luck
Julie X

i also agree that u can add to ur kit mixing diff brands but for ur nvq2 u will need to hve a pro make up kit that adhears to certain standards. u will find u will need a decent kit to be insured for ur case studies so to start off a college kit is fine and is a more economical option .xx

thank you very much for your replies they have been very helpful.:)
bella
xxx

Hi peeps!

I'm also looking for a professional kit to use for my forthcoming NVQ! I went to get my makeup done for a wedding a few months ago and the girl used Fero products. Does anyone have any opinions on this brand? I thought it lasted quite well. For example, we had a practice makeup done the day before while we were off having a spa day. I'd had my makeup done, went off into the sauna, swimming pool and jacuzzi and it still stayed on!!! :eek:

Unfortunately this brings me to my second question... is professional makeup heavier than normal OTC stuff?

Hi peeps!

I'm also looking for a professional kit to use for my forthcoming NVQ! I went to get my makeup done for a wedding a few months ago and the girl used Fero products. Does anyone have any opinions on this brand? I thought it lasted quite well. For example, we had a practice makeup done the day before while we were off having a spa day. I'd had my makeup done, went off into the sauna, swimming pool and jacuzzi and it still stayed on!!! :eek:

Unfortunately this brings me to my second question... is professional makeup heavier than normal OTC stuff?

We used Fero when I was at college and to be honest didn't like the products much. I suppose things like the mascara and eye/lip pencils were ok but then you can't go wrong with them.

The main problems were the lack of colour options with eyeshadow and lip colours but by far the worst was the foundations. In theory you should use their liquid for dry skins but if was impossible to use! I used it on my daughter who was my bridal model, she has dry skin, and despite thorough moisturizing before the treatment the foundation pulled and dragged on her skin. The final result was so bad that even though my tutor passed the assessment she agreed that the foundations were appalling and totally unworkable!

I personally wouldn't spend a huge amount on a kit for college. Having taken advice from many others on here I am currently in the process of stocking up on make up and am buying individual products from good quality brands like MAC, Benefit, Bobbi Brown etc. I will custom make my own kit with the best products I can get (afford!).

hth

We used Fero when I was at college and to be honest didn't like the products much. I suppose things like the mascara and eye/lip pencils were ok but then you can't go wrong with them.

The main problems were the lack of colour options with eyeshadow and lip colours but by far the worst was the foundations. In theory you should use their liquid for dry skins but if was impossible to use! I used it on my daughter who was my bridal model, she has dry skin, and despite thorough moisturizing before the treatment the foundation pulled and dragged on her skin. The final result was so bad that even though my tutor passed the assessment she agreed that the foundations were appalling and totally unworkable!

I personally wouldn't spend a huge amount on a kit for college. Having taken advice from many others on here I am currently in the process of stocking up on make up and am buying individual products from good quality brands like MAC, Benefit, Bobbi Brown etc. I will custom make my own kit with the best products I can get (afford!).

hth

Thank you for all that advice! That's fantastic!

I shall have a good look around before I waste any of my hard earned cash!

I did Make-up last year and brought myself a box set from House of Fraser (in the sale) Your college should have make-up you are able to use, but I appreciate your own need and knowing colleges they wont have anything decent left midway into the course.
It depends if you are serious about makeup or like me you werent really into it and found you were pretty good at it....so need to buy some nice kit!

Good luck with the course
Teresa

i was reading some older threads the other day searching for info about the make up course.

i'm due to start september doing my VTCT level 2 makeup, it say's there is an additional £100.00 for the kit but reading the threads some people where saying it's better to get your own kit as you can get it much cheaper and better quality. i must say i don't mind spending £100 on a kit but if not a good one that will need replacing why should i?

do you think they will allow you to get your own?
has anyone els done this?

p.s sorry for butting in on the thread.

Hi, I am starting a beauty consultant course in sept. I had to order mine from Feestyle, all together including eye&lash tint cost me £470.00:eek:

Latest posts

Back