Which nail brand to choose

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CR14

Reaction score
Hi everyone;
I have recently gained my nail qualification. I’ve been doing nails on my self and my family for years now but decided to qualify so I could set up at home and have my own business. I’m still unsure on which brand to use though. We practiced with cuccio and the gel bottle at college. Any views or opinions on them? Cuccio is available for anyone to purchase but gel bottle is professional use only once you’ve submitted your certificate. I just wondered what everyone’s views are on the brands and whether it’s better to offer a client something they can’t purchase them self. Many thanks x

Its hard to make a recommendation because there's so much more to nails. For example, I don't know where your stance is in terms of education or whats important to you in terms of nails. Do you just want to make money and do the least? Or do you want to make money while helping the industry, looking out for your own health and the health of your clients? Because believe it or not, there are products that caters to these different mindsets.

There are salons out there who uses the cheapest product they can buy and they don't care about messing up their clients nails. They don't care about proper sanitation or disinfection and helping the industry look good. They just do your nails and take your money. Surprisingly, this business model does work. But mostly because most clients don't know too much about nails. Discount nails is what im referring to.

And then there are salons out there who uses high quality products, who takes the time to prevent any nail damage, who takes the time to create a clean haven for the client, who has the wisdom to further learn more. These people are in it for long term business sustainability. And doing those things does offer long term sustainability.

So you have to decide what kind of tech you want to be, so I can give a product recommendation thats suited for you. Yes, you asked a "simple" question but I think its good to give a completed answer so that it help others also who reads this also.

Last edited:
Hi there, thanks for your response. Well as I have been a client in the past to nail techs I have had both poor and excellent experiences. I would like to build a business based on providing excellent nail service with products that help with the clients health and nail needs. Yes I hope to earn a living eventually but I want to build a business based on my reputation and attention to the client and the products. The beginning of my professional nail journey is about setting the foundations and finding the right product, and exploring it to see if it’s right for me and the clients. I just find the market very over whelming and sometimes what you read on a website isn’t always the truth so I wanted an opinion from real techs who use the products day in day out.
Thanks

Hi hun x
I’m a nail tech x
Qualified in all things nails x
Recently I have developed a sever allergy to gel polish x
Always be sure to use the correct products with the correct lamp x
Some people say different but I always do x
I have a few brands and also their lamps
The preference is down to you hun
One person is always going to say that one is better than the other xx

I suggest you search this forum for the brands you have mentioned.
You might be surprised at some of the feedback, particularly one of the brands you have mentioned.

hi there, which brand is it you’re referring to that I’d be surprised with and in what sense?

Hi there, thanks for your response. Well as I have been a client in the past to nail techs I have had both poor and excellent experiences. I would like to build a business based on providing excellent nail service with products that help with the clients health and nail needs. Yes I hope to earn a living eventually but I want to build a business based on my reputation and attention to the client and the products. The beginning of my professional nail journey is about setting the foundations and finding the right product, and exploring it to see if it’s right for me and the clients. I just find the market very over whelming and sometimes what you read on a website isn’t always the truth so I wanted an opinion from real techs who use the products day in day out.
Thanks
So would anyone kindly give me their views on these brands? Or any suggestions of a good quality Client friendly gel polish.

hi there, which brand is it you’re referring to that I’d be surprised with and in what sense?
I suggest you do some thorough research on The Gel Bottle. There have been a few posts on here about it. :)

So would anyone kindly give me their views on these brands? Or any suggestions of a good quality Client friendly gel polish.
I recommend CND gel system for the more affluent clienteles or for clienteles who sees the value in this service and is willing to pay for it. You have to charge what the service is worth. This will help you keep profit margins high.

With most other gels, they can be very difficult to remove which up end up damaging the clients nails since its a fight for quick removal and making money. There's also the risk of allergies. There's also the risk of burning the client's nail bed which can lead to nail plate separation.

Just as an example, I haven't done nails in almost a year but I had to help a family member after they bought a new nail shop. I was speaking to the client and she told me how she would stop getting her nails done for a while to let it grow out, because they were thinning from improper techniques of other salons.

Last edited:

I have used both Cuccio and The Gel Bottle. Despite the fact that Cuccio does appear to be sold to unqualified users (not sure why!), I would consider the brand far more professional and trustworthy than TGB! I no longer use TGB in my salon due to various reasons. I believe the brand was built on hype and social media and admit I fell for it to begin with, but they have made a lot of mistakes since they started and I no longer have any trust in them as a company or in their products. Yes, they last well and have a huge array of colours, but too many experienced nail techs have reported cases of severe onycholysis whilst using their products (on clients and themselves). There’s lots of information out there about this, although you won’t hear about it on their own group! Before yo make any decisions, do some really thorough research so you are fully aware.

I guess that I am old school. But over 30 years of business in different industries, I have always chosen my suppliers very, very carefully. Marketing is persuasion to buy - some companies are better at this than others, so providing the company presents a professional image, I ignore the bright lights and meaningless unproven phrases.

I start be looking for a supplier with proven competence. Are they experts? Is this recognised in their industry? Are they the actual manufacturers or simple wholesalers putting their own label on the product or service? Can I be confident that the products are legal and safe?

Because I know there most probably will come a time when I need their expertise. And when that time comes, if I can't speak to an expert who knows the product inside out and has the ability to help me, I could lose customers and a lot of money.

In short, I don't look so much for a supplier, but a long-term partner who will compliment my business, who can provide competent quick support when needed, who is financially stable and is able to innovate new unique products that I can use to help my business grow.

Like in other areas of life, there are a lot of offers out there - but when you peel back the gloss and glitz, very few will make it onto the shortlist.

I have used both Cuccio and The Gel Bottle. Despite the fact that Cuccio does appear to be sold to unqualified users (not sure why!), I would consider the brand far more professional and trustworthy than TGB! I no longer use TGB in my salon due to various reasons. I believe the brand was built on hype and social media and admit I fell for it to begin with, but they have made a lot of mistakes since they started and I no longer have any trust in them as a company or in their products. Yes, they last well and have a huge array of colours, but too many experienced nail techs have reported cases of severe onycholysis whilst using their products (on clients and themselves). There’s lots of information out there about this, although you won’t hear about it on their own group! Before yo make any decisions, do some really thorough research so you are fully aware.

It’s now all over their own fb group

Latest posts

Back