Which option is best?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHeartLashes

Reaction score
Hello,

I opened up my own beauty room on Saturday and want to bring in someone to do massages when I'm not there doing nails, spray tanning etc.

Do you think it's better to hire someone and pay them an hourly rate or bring someone in who is self employed and doing massages already and just rent my room to them on the 2 days I'm not there?

Thanks x

Are you in a good financial position to be able to employ someone 2 days a week? You would still have to provide holiday pay/sick pay scheme etc as well as be responsible for their tax/national ins etc. If you already have a big potential clientele wanting massages then that's a different story as you know you are going to be making a fair amount of money even after paying wages etc. .
Renting the room is obviously a more risk free position as they are responsible for own insurance and everything else plus you are guaranteed x amount per day /week. x

Hello,

I opened up my own beauty room on Saturday and want to bring in someone to do massages when I'm not there doing nails, spray tanning etc.

Do you think it's better to hire someone and pay them an hourly rate or bring someone in who is self employed and doing massages already and just rent my room to them on the 2 days I'm not there?

Thanks x

Where are you based ? And what 2 days.? How much does it cost to operate the room for a day? That will change everything.

Thanks so much for your replies. It looks like it will be much easier to bring someone in who is already self employed. I guess it just worries me a little as they will need to do their own treatment plans and be insured etc.

These are a few ideas I was thinking of...

* £20/£25 rent for the day and they do as they please
* Give them 60% of the treatment price if I supply the products

Does that sound fair? Could I supply the treatment plan and insure them or would they have to do that? Thanks

I would personally just rent the room out for a flat rate and let them totally do their own thing. Own insurance etc. This is exactly what I do and it works really well x

A massage therapist wont have many overheads so i wouldn't go down the percentage route. Rent it out for a set fee, where are you based? That's a low daily rent but I don't know where you are based so that may be the average price x

I'm north east. I'm lucky to have secured my room for £50 a week rent! I have a friend who is interested in working 1 day a week but as she doesn't live in my town and has only recently qualified she would prefer me to book in and sort the clients and she would come and do the massages. She is registered as self employed and has started doing mobile where she lives. I'm thinking of offering her 50% of the treatment cost and I'll supply the products? Does that sound fair?

Can I stipulate things in the agreement such as that she must wear a uniform, use a treatment plan with my logo on? I'm not sure what the done thing is!

Thannks x

I'm north east. I'm lucky to have secured my room for £50 a week rent! I have a friend who is interested in working 1 day a week but as she doesn't live in my town and has only recently qualified she would prefer me to book in and sort the clients and she would come and do the massages. She is registered as self employed and has started doing mobile where she lives. I'm thinking of offering her 50% of the treatment cost and I'll supply the products? Does that sound fair?

Can I stipulate things in the agreement such as that she must wear a uniform, use a treatment plan with my logo on? I'm not sure what the done thing is!

Thannks x[/if you want her to use a treatment plan with your logo on then she would need to be working for you. she will be registered self employed under her own business name/or own name and is entitled to use whichever treatment plan she's chooses as she would be renting the room off you/self employed. By using your logo'd treatment plan you would need to insure her under your policy etc as the treatment plans are representing your business. I'm not sure about enforcing uniform, as again she is self employed, however you could state that this is your preference as although she is a separate business, she is on your premises and therefore her appearance reflects on your business. The rate at which you percentage is entirely up to you, personally i think 50/50 is quite high bearing in mind the products are just massage oil/sanitiser etc and consumables such as couch roll/cotton wool, 60/40 is more reasonable (just my opinion!). you can stipulate that she needs professional indemnity and public liability insurance, must abide by health and safety etc and always state the days/hours she can use the room in the contract x

Brill, thanks hun. I will see what she thinks. xx

f you want her to use a treatment plan with your logo on then she would need to be working for you. she will be registered self employed under her own business name/or own name and is entitled to use whichever treatment plan she's chooses as she would be renting the room off you/self employed. By using your logo'd treatment plan you would need to insure her under your policy etc as the treatment plans are representing your business. I'm not sure about enforcing uniform, as again she is self employed, however you could state that this is your preference as although she is a separate business, she is on your premises and therefore her appearance reflects on your business. The rate at which you percentage is entirely up to you, personally i think 50/50 is quite high bearing in mind the products are just massage oil/sanitiser etc and consumables such as couch roll/cotton wool, 60/40 is more reasonable (just my opinion!). you can stipulate that she needs professional indemnity and public liability insurance, must abide by health and safety etc and always state the days/hours she can use the room in the contract x

Where I live you need to get a massage license from the council and it cost £500 a year. Do you have any? You need to consider that as well.
It's funny because when they are mobile or working from home apparently they don't need a license but when they work in a salon then a license is required! I don't get it...

Latest posts

Back