Which polishes to use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Realist.jen

Reaction score
Hey,
I am a new nail technician, I have bought over 40 opi nail polishes and as soon as I have applied them to nails or acrylics they are quite patchy and sheer, not as opaque as in a “normal” nail shop. I have started to look around for different nail polishes but I’m not sure what’s the best classic nail polish. Also does anyone know any outlet stores or any stores/online shops that Id be able to buy nail polishes from for cheaper (London based)

Send help pleaseeee
Jennifer xxxx

OPI are a good brand so as a newbie it may actually be your application that's slightly off. 40 is also a lot to replace. Are you shaking the bottles properly to mix well before application? Are you applying in thin coats or thick? Is it only the paler colours or all of them?

OPI are a good brand so as a newbie it may actually be your application that's slightly off. 40 is also a lot to replace. Are you shaking the bottles properly to mix well before application? Are you applying in thin coats or thick? Is it only the paler colours or all of them?

It’s more of the pale colours, when I use the darker colours the application is better and easier however when I use light colours such as pinks they are more difficult to make opaque. I use normal layers not too thin and not too thick so I’m not sure why it does that. Before use I do shake the bottles but it doesn’t seem to make a difference

Quite often with paler opaque colours you may need 3 coats, it's not unusual. Be sure to float the brush on the second coat so as not to drag the first coat up and off again. And try top coating, quite often a patchy application will smooth out once you apply the topcoat. Again, in a floating motion not dragging. OPI is a really good brand that has been around for years and years, I quite like their polishes. I don't use them daily as I use CND but certainly don't avoid them due to application issues.

Totally agree with trinity on the pale colours sometimes needing a third look and floating to fill in patches. Also, just a thought, did you buy them from opi direct or from a wholesaler rather than online or amazon or something? Beware of fake products online which would defo not perform as well, but you’ll be fine if you bought from a wholesaler like salons direct etc x

Latest posts

Back