Which primer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelygirl

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So just wanted to get your help on a few things. I have only recently gotten back into gels and actually have a little nail nook lol in my shop. Two things which are really doing my head in. first, so many people are coming in and asking for fills on nails they have had done at "cheap" mall nail bars and they dont even know exactly what it is that they have on! As i dont do acrylics, and dont really want to, i am wondering should i file down and apply gel? I have read many times that you can but i dont want people comingback with problems.what advice can you offer me!????? Also i use an australian brand of uv gel which i think is great but i feel need a stronger primer. Do you think the ibd natural nail primer would be ok as i know its one of the best for problem lifters. Sorry for the novel!!! Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated :eek:

anyone?????!!! i'm stressing hard ova this!

Hi

Welcome to the site.

You can rebalance others' work with gel without any problems, but I wouldn't suggest using a primer unless it's meant to be used with your system.

If you do a search here you'll find this question has been asked already... some don't like to touch other peoples work and others feel that it is silly to turn away a potential client.

If you are having issues with lifting I would suggest you have a look at some of the amazing tutorials we have here on prep and lifting issues.

If the gel you use isn't meant to have a primer, then I wouldn't use one.

Here's the link to a tutorial that will help you...http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/3007-perfect-preparation.html

Hope that helps and if you need a hand with anything site related, you can come back to My Forum and ask away :hug:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is better to remove the other product before starting any treatment. You can't really do a proper assessment of the health of the nail and the best treatment without seeing them natural.

I would go on a course for gels too, Bio Sculpture and CND do go gel systems. I use Bio Sculpture, which doesn't need a primer, but I always wipe over with Scrub Fresh, because it's a good product.

Hi
Which Aussie brand do u use?

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm using the step system by the nailery:biggrin:

I don't actually agree that it is better to remove and start again. In many cases is is a healthier option to not stress the nails out any more by removing and then starting again.

Often clients nails from the 'discount nail bars' are very thin and damaged (in which case it is much better not to remove) and I actually find it quite easy to assess whether or not a set of nails would NEED to be removed because of a health issue by just giving them a good examination.

What I find confusing is when posters use the word gel! These days it really is necessary to state if you are meaning that you are intending to use a hard gel or a soft gel. You wouldn't go over someone's nails using a soft gel to infill them, if what they had on their nails was a hard enhancement product. You need to use a product that is a similar strength to that which the client is wearing.

Latest posts

Back