which way of waxing and why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mieke

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was wondering which type of waxing that you prefere:
by the hand of a spatula *waxing pot*?
by the hand of a casettes *roll on*?

I was trained using a waxing pot / spatula to do my waxing and i tried one time back in school the "roll on" type of wax and thought it was actually kind of convenient aswell.

I just wanted to see which "way" of waxing is prefered + why?

Personally, I HATE cleaning roller heads!! It drives me insane!! lol, I find you cant do eyebrows with a roller system, or underarms as hair often grows in all different directions there.

For that reason, I'm a pot and spatula gal!! :hug:

Thanks for your opinion. I somethimes thought that using those rolers was a bit of cheating aswell :lol:...i hope nobody gets offended by this ...but i always thought so a little bit *don,t get mad at me*

There is definitely more skill to pot and spatula - or maybe just a different skill. Waxing is not my favourite treatment and anything I can do to make life easier is good for me. I looked at the roll-on systems, but the cleaning of the heads would have driven me crackers ... and from what I understand the quality of wax is not great, but I may be wrong on that one.

I have the Australian Bodycare system, it's a tube system like PHD. I'm not interested in all the gimmicky bits about hygiene because any method can by hygienic if it's done properly. Nope for me it was the cleanliness and ease of application that attracted me. I am such a messy waxer and damned slow ... or at least I was! It took me a little while to get used to its quirks, but I find it suits my needs pretty well perfectly. I use the applicator heads for all areas except eyebrows. i just squeeze the wax on to a spatula and apply it in the traditional way. Can't say I have a problem with underarms - you can apply it in any direction you need to!

i use both! i use the pot for eyebrows, underarms, facial waxing... small areas mainly! and roller wax on legs because its such a large area and i struggle getting all that wax on with the spatula...i always end up sticky, sweaty n in a mess! but i wouldnt dream of rollering someones eyebrows, personal perference just dont feel like i have as much control as with a spatula! i dont think its cheating mieke! whatever suits you best! :green::green: everybody is different!

There is definitely more skill to pot and spatula - or maybe just a different skill. Waxing is not my favourite treatment and anything I can do to make life easier is good for me. I looked at the roll-on systems, but the cleaning of the heads would have driven me crackers ... and from what I understand the quality of wax is not great, but I may be wrong on that one.

I have the Australian Bodycare system, it's a tube system like PHD. I'm not interested in all the gimmicky bits about hygiene because any method can by hygienic if it's done properly. Nope for me it was the cleanliness and ease of application that attracted me. I am such a messy waxer and damned slow ... or at least I was! It took me a little while to get used to its quirks, but I find it suits my needs pretty well perfectly. I use the applicator heads for all areas except eyebrows. i just squeeze the wax on to a spatula and apply it in the traditional way. Can't say I have a problem with underarms - you can apply it in any direction you need to!
Thanks for sharing. I am going to look up the australian bodycare system since i can only visualise those role-on ones... i am curious :). Can i ask why the wax in those rol-on ones isn,t that good?
i use both! i use the pot for eyebrows, underarms, facial waxing... small areas mainly! and roller wax on legs because its such a large area and i struggle getting all that wax on with the spatula...i always end up sticky, sweaty n in a mess! but i wouldnt dream of rollering someones eyebrows, personal perference just dont feel like i have as much control as with a spatula! i dont think its cheating mieke! whatever suits you best! :green::green: everybody is different!

...:o... i think it,s due to my training that i still think like that. Our teacher drilled us in the use of pot and spatula as the only correct way and forbid roll-ons in the classes...i will try to ditch that narrow minded thought and be more open minded like you :green:

Thanks to the both of you :hug:

I use both.I use roller for legs because it is extremely quick.I use pot and spatula for under arm and bikini for the control in a smaller area.
I find the tiny rollers in clean and easy excellent for eyebrows and face but always double check the temperature as it can be hotter than the leg rollers.I dont think its cheating the end products the same, thats all that matters really.Ive done my time with full legs and pot and spatula, i know i can do it, ive just found a way that suits me better.

well i am no waxing expert - OMG far from it - so can't really say why, just been told by various people. The ABC wax is a creme wax and from what I can tell is nicer to apply and less painful for the client ... the latter i can definitely vouch for as my clients says how less painful my waxing is

well i am no waxing expert - OMG far from it - so can't really say why, just been told by various people. The ABC wax is a creme wax and from what I can tell is nicer to apply and less painful for the client ... the latter i can definitely vouch for as my clients says how less painful my waxing is

Most of my clients vouch for creme wax being less painful,certainly in the bikini and underarm areas.

that could be and probably is your technique and client care Sassy.

I get told that too and I have been on the receiving end of poor waxing so I know it's technique.

I use both Roller and Spatula and I am trialling Hot Wax at the mo but not very successfully

that could be and probably is your technique and client care Sassy.

Boy you know how to boost a novice waxer's confidence :hug: But as with everything I am a perfectionist and I make sure that my clients don't get second best if I can help it.

I am a strong believer that technique is much more important than the quality of wax. If you are a good waxer with excellent technique, then it really shouldn't matter what type of wax you are using.

I personally use the pot and spatula method. I tried the roller applicators but didn't really care for it.

How many paper strips do you use for waxing half the legs?
We always needed to apply our wax so thin that we would only need 2 strips to remove the wax. I was always scared if the teacher saw me using more :green: * I threw them fast away so she couldn,t tell *
Does wax always apply thin with the roll-on ones?

I am a strong believer that technique is much more important than the quality of wax. If you are a good waxer with excellent technique, then it really shouldn't matter what type of wax you are using.

I personally use the pot and spatula method. I tried the roller applicators but didn't really care for it.

I disagree.I think there are some terrible waxes out there with very high melting points and sometimes no stick or even too much stick. There are also some beautiful waxes that spread thinly at the perfect temperature leave little residue behind and do a perfect job on even very short hair.
Of course technique is important but you can be greatly hindered by using inferior wax.
I think creme wax spreads slightly thicker than honey wax but sticks to the skin less.Which is why i like creme for bikini/underarm and honey for legs.
Ideally id use hot wax for bikini/underarm but its not cost effective for me and i dont do extreme waxing.

I never have a hard and fast rule with strips. Usually about 2 per 1/2 leg but if I feel I'm loosing control of the strip I'll happily bin it and use another. Don't get too hung up about these things, work to the best of your ability. Speed and saving product will come with time.:hug:
As for the wax, same as Sassy, I love my ABC teatree tube system, but even if you decide on a pot system try the ABC teatree pot wax, it's gorgeous.
Some wax's are too tacky, they can be difficult to remove in certain conditions. ABC wax has the perfect blend of stickiness and brittleness.

Boy you know how to boost a novice waxer's confidence :hug: But as with everything I am a perfectionist and I make sure that my clients don't get second best if I can help it.

Just telling the truth:hug:

In a salon i used Phd wax and got on really well with it,since i have started mobile work i have been using Hive roller system.For me it is just less messy and less of a risk of drip and drops of wax.I also find it quite quick and have no problem waxing most areas with it.I dont think its cheating,if client are happy with the treatment and its results thats all that matter:green:

I use the Phd wax, with the applicator for all areas apart from eyebrows and lip or chin. I also sometimes use hot wax using a pot & spatula.

a few months back i considered going for a roller wx system but didn't get around to it, i've experimented with various waxes and have settled on an aloe vera gellee wax for body waxing (and a vitamin e cream wax for facial areas), goes on super thin, also when training i would do much more segmented waxing, now i have my confidence up i will cover a large area in one go, (had great waxing advice on here) i know speed equals more clients more money but this can be achieved with pot and spatula, a 1/2 leg wax including knees and toes takes me about 25 mins x

Really thanks a lot for your input in this!!!!

After reading this i think i am going to invest in some rol-on wax and just give it a go instead of being pre-judgemental. I am actually amazed by how many use it...now i feel i am missing out on something...seriously :lol:
This thread made me think differently i must say.

But you guys mentioned that you have to clean the heads all the time...clean the heads for wax residue or for hairs that got pulled of while applying?

Latest posts

Back