Which way to go.......

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mani-fique!

Reaction score
Hi all. Have been away for a while pondering over my future in nails. I have only got my VTCT in Manicure, have no transport and live in a village (a prosperous one though which is only a mile or so from our nearest town).

I had some advice that maybe it wasn't the right time for me as manicures are seen as a pampering and not a neccessity. I understand this completely.

What I was wondering is this: If I was to get qualified to do nail extensions then will this greatly increase my chances of getting people to come to my home?

I know absolutely zilch about nail extensions and to be honest when I've read through the message board have felt like I'm reading a different lanquage!! Can anyone tell me how I can learn a bit of the basics knowledge wise?

Where is the best place to start in learning what I need to know. What are the different types of extensions and do Creative train you in all of them?

Is it better to go to college or go straight into doing a course with Creative and will this give me a recognised qualification?

Setting up at home are there any special requirements for ventilation etc or will setting up at my dining table suffice? (bearing in mind I have an open plan living room with the kitchen so is this hazardous?)

I'm desparately trying not to give up on all of this but have been very down since I realised that its going to be reeeeally difficult to get clients if I can't go to them to do just manicures. It doesn't help that I was supposed to do a pedicure course at college but it was cancelled due to lack of interest.

I'm aprehensive to spend more money if nail extensions aren't for me. I really want to try but am scared incase it all goes wrong. I think alot of it is confidence. I tend to do a pre-emptive strike and don't do something incase I get rejected (no calls after putting in an ad in our local shop for instance, something I've definately been putting off!)

Anyway any advice would be apreciated!!

thanks

Tamm

Hi Tamm,

I can understand where you are coming from as this was exactly where I was about 3 years ago. I did manicure training at college and decided this was all I wanted to do - after a year I had a handful of clients but turned loads down as I did not do enhancements. I eventually decided to go to the Creative Academy after researching all of my options.

I know it is very topical at the moment to go and do your NVQ just in case they bring in legislation but what if you get a duff tutor - more likely if you go to college (sorry!). There are some great tutors working in colleges but they are unfortunately the exception rather than the rule.

I think your best bet would be to find a good manufacturers course where the tutors know their stuff - maybe an award winning one ;) for their training. This will give you the best start to your enhancement career then if and when they bring in any legislation, you will be better placed to do your NVQ or whatever at one of the SAC centres rather than through college.

I notice you are not that far away from me (I think). I would quite happily invite you to my home based salon for a face to face chat about all the ins and outs of this fab business before you finally make up your mind.

Good luck

..that's very lovely of you Fiona... :salute: Tamm, take her up on it, she is a great poster and knows her stuff :study: . Fiona also wanted to do only natural nails (hence her name) originally but due to popular demand, learned enhancements too; I think she loves doing both now!!! ;) :sunny: and although it's not the B all and end all, your enhancement clients need to come back to you every 2/3 weeks - your natural nail clients don't!!!! :shock:

Thanks guys. Its nice to know someone's been there before! I might well take you up on that offer Fiona. Will PM you if I can get over to you.

It really is an uncertain time but I think what makes it worse is that it could also be the start of bigger better things for me but its just the thought of taking the plunge and going for it.

Thanks again.

Tamm

Tamm

Even though Fiona has offered to give you advice etc, I notice that you are in Warwickshire which is where I am, if you want to pm me as well perhaps we could meet up to and I will try and help you.

I have done my VTCT in manicures and advanced nail techniques, then a conversion course with Creative (as they are the no 1 product in my eyes and nearly everyone else on the board) plus Nailtiques course, several nailart courses, drill course with NSI, just done bio sculpture course and am about to do spamanicure and spapedicure course tomorrow. Am also hoping to do me Masters after Xmas as well.

I am currently in the process of opening my own salon due to open on Saturday 1 November, so if you want to pm perhaps we could arrange to meet etc after this date.

Jue ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back