Which way to go?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cartier nails

Reaction score
I am stuck with do I stay mobile or 'rent a shop which is easiest.

Depends on your location and the need.

What do you prefer or feel most drawn too?

With nail services there's so many little bottles you need, and carrying them all about can be challenging.

What do you currently do?

I do mobile but haven't got regular clients so thought about a shop which will get customers In

What is easiest and what makes profit are two different ways of looking at it.

Ultimately you must feel comfortable doing what you do.

What sort of customers do you want?

Low volume high value bespoke work or High volume low price work?

There's a lot of competition with cheap nail bars, where geographically would you position yourself in relation to them to remain competitive and busy?

Before renting space in a shop you could do what the big companies do...a footfall count at peak and off peak times; stand outside and note how many people walk past within 10 mins. Ask yourself are they my customers? How would i get their attention? Will the other staff in a shop mind you sharing 'their customers'?

Renting a space in a shop means considering contractual obligations, many of which (after reading the boards here) are unwritten but expected!

Research as much as possible and be the best at what you do xx

I didn't mean rent a chair I meant open my own shop its a big step and need think carefully about it.

Oh sorry I see, for your own shop theres lots of legislation to keep in mind. You would need to consider the location, type of lease, and a whole lot more.

Best to speak to someone who already does this successfully, whom you admire.

From my limited experience this is not an easy option ;)

That's what I mean a lot to Think about and will it take off will I be disappointed if it doesn't. do I stay mobile no overheads to think about just need customers:)

I see from your other post that you have only recently qualified . If I was you I would stay mobile a while . Work out your customer base and get yourself known . Then when you have been going while and built up a regular client base possibly look at other options

Opening a shop without an established customer based is a HUGE risk to take . You need to study the market very carefully . Do a proper business plan to include all running costs ect

You would need to have the capital behind you to run the shop for a least a year assuming no income if it was to work at all

Personally I would not consider a shop at this stage of your career

Last edited:
Sure theres local business start up initiatives out there if you ask, lots of vacant shops need filling.

Be careful what you sign up for and take legal advice should you go down that route, as there is risk involved.

Meanwhile there is plenty of ideas on here for 'promote your own business'

Thank you ladies a lot to consider

I'm in the same position as you, recently qualified and not sure where to go from here. I intended to start off mobile but it's not my ideal choice for many reasons. I'd like to have my own salon but feel it's too big a risk just now. I think the best idea is to get clients in and once I have an established client base then consider my own shop. Just have to put up with the inconvenience of being mobile until then!

From college I worked in a fast paced salon for two years. I'm very happy I did this as it made me confident, I got experience in various treatments and experience in dealing with customers.

I think it's a great thing to have a goal but you need to be patient about how to get there.

I personally wouldn't open a shop if I had no client base. I work mobile at the moment and have been since January, I do have a lot of clients who continue to book in and some weeks I'm fully booked. I continuously advertise and work at it and it's starting to pay off! With mobile if you're not busy there's no expense xx

Please don't open a shop under the illusion that it will get customers in. If you have a lot of money to cover rent and bills for a good length of time, you may eventually turn a profit but it can take a long time.

As has been suggested, I would work to build your clientele before you look at the extensive costs that go with running a salon.

Vic x

Honestly........i would go mobile first an build up a clientele.......see how busy you get an see how much of a demand your in.....then start looking into your own shop.....rent, bills, lease etc and weigh up your options.

Good luck
Xx

Both in the long and short term I would recommend assessing your goals in terms of the sort of money you want to make and how you want to make it.

For example, personally I preferred mobile because I didn't want to have lots of overheads and responsibilities. I think it is easy to fall into a trap of assuming that having a shop means more profit and this might not necessarily be the case. Do you want reasonable pocket money mobile or years of putting your own money and lots of energy into something that may take a while to pay you back. Personally I think that mobile favours working where holidays and time off are easier to take and where career breaks aren't so difficult to embrace. A salon is harder to have a rest from because you need to keep it ticking over.

Latest posts

Back