Whip it OFF!!! (waxing courses)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeepPaws

Reaction score
I am looking for a waxing course and just after some help, advise and information on who you trained with and would recommend.

Like the nails before I trained, I have never been waxed and know nothing about it. A wax virgin through and through!!:green:

I would like to train locally if possible. Plymouth or Exeter or thereabouts.
Can't anyone help me please?

Bumping up!! Anyone out there??

hi there ... the local college is a good place to start they usually offer short courses ... you can also go into your local Aston & Fincher or Sallys if you have them ...or something similar ... they usually offer 1 day courses ... i was college trained which does mean you get more practice ... and believe me you do actually need the practice !!!! its not as easy as you first think ! i now use the PHD wax when in the UK and will eventually use it here in Spain (but I have to have clients first to warrant the expense !! :) ... you also need to know how to wax before doing the PHD course which can be bought as a package from Ellisons .... you never know thou' some colleges might even be using this product already ... hygiene wise I think it is definitely the way to go

L x

try solana training i trained with these in waxing and other things. they have courses around the country and are great and reasonably priced

I saw the Basic waxing course with PHD in my Ellison cat. So I thought I might ring them,,,just wanted some response to how some of you felt about them,,,,,,would a basic course and then go onto the waxing course they do, be enough for business. I am getting concerned about all the things being said about 'not trained enough'. Is it going to be a recognised certificate etc?

the solana is a recognised one you can get insurance with it and it was pretty much 1 on 1 training

Ok ,here's my take on these short courses,be it waxing or massage etc.

I dont like them,I have noticed that the majority of posters needing help on this site are mainly those that have done a short course,why???well...because they have not had the practice,the challenges,the different hair types....the list goes on.

No,all they have had is a 1 day course,practicing on, I hope every area that they are qualified to wax.This imho is just NOT enough,hence why these are the people that seem to have the issues,regarding needing help.Not all,granted but most.

Now I am not trying to offend anyone but this is what I have noticed,indeed I have been pm'd and MSN'd many times and asked questions or been told of propblems that have arisen as a direct consequence of insuffient training.

There will be geeks/people that say college is not all it's cracked out to be,but I disagree(this is just my opinion again,sorry if you dont agree,I was fortunate to have damned good tutors,but it was about the amount of practice I had and time to get it right,not to mention the amount of models)

With college you have the advantage of practicing over and over again,you have the back up of the tutors and peers alike,you have the best advantage of learning over time.Members of the public come in,you are assessed until you are confident,you do not get this with short courses.There's just not the time.

I have done short courses,not in waxing mind,and tbh I can say hand on heart they were naff,each one I did, I did not feel confident,in after I had qualified,I did not feel happy that I knew what there was to know,I did not feel professional.How can this possibly look good when carrying out a treatment on a client?In short it cannot.

What happens if,when doing your 1 day training course,you only waxed someone with minimal hairgrowth,someone who was easy to wax?Then you qualify and you have your new client,strong hair growth,lots of hair....?This is why college or a longer training course is better,because it covers all aspects,many times over,so hopefully when you start in a salon you will just feel that little bit MORE confident than you would after 1 day or a short course(which tbh isn't even spent the whole day on practical)

Dont forget A&P,contra-indications,contra-actions etc also have to be covered on this 1 day course/short course and they charge quite a lot of money for not a lot tbh.Dosn't really give anyone much time for hands on waxing does it?

These are get rich quick scams and unless you are an extremely fortunate individual who has the luxury of being able to see something once,then go away and be able to do it,do NOT do the one day/shorter course.

Some will say,that they have read up on numerous books,that they have practiced loads after the training,and yes,that's great,but surely if you have a certificate in your hand saying you are qualified in waxing,that should mean exactly that.We are all a bit slow when first qualified,that's not the issue,but to not have experienced many different types of hairgrowth on different people,I just dont think that is what being qualified is all about at all.:green:

Babs ... i totally agree with what you say about 1 day courses

... being new I suppose i was a little reluncant create too many waves !!! :) for the sake of clarify when i referred to the short college courses I did in fact me ones they do for 10 weeks or so ... it still means that you need lots more practice when you finished but its a very good start.

L x

I dont like them,I have noticed that the majority of posters needing help on this site are mainly those that have done a short course,why???well...because they have not had the practice,the challenges,the different hair types....the list goes on.

No,all they have had is a 1 day course,practicing on, I hope every area that they are qualified to wax.This imho is just NOT enough,hence why these are the people that seem to have the issues,regarding needing help.Not all,granted but most.

Now I am not trying to offend anyone but this is what I have noticed,indeed I have been pm'd and MSN'd many times and asked questions or been told of propblems that have arisen as a direct consequence of insuffient training.

There will be geeks/people that say college is not all it's cracked out to be,but I disagree(this is just my opinion again,sorry if you dont agree,I was fortunate to have damned good tutors,but it was about the amount of practice I had and time to get it right,not to mention the amount of models)

With college you have the advantage of practicing over and over again,you have back up of the tutors and peers alike,you have the best advantage of learning over time.Members of the public come in,you are assessed until you are confident,you do not get this with short courses.There just is not the time.

I have done short courses,not in waxing mind,and tbh I can say hand on heart they were naff,each one I did, I did not feel confident,in after I had qualified,I did not feel happy that I knew what there was to know,I did not feel professional.How can this possibly look good when carrying out a treatment on a client?In short it cannot.

What happens if,when doing your 1 day training course,you only waxed someone with minimal hairgrowth,someone who was easy to wax?Then you qualify and you have your new client,strong hair growth,lots of hair....?This is why college or a longer training course is better,because it covers all aspects,many times over,so hopefully when you start in a salon you will just feel that little bit MORE confident than you would after 1 day or a short course(which tbh isn't even spent the whole day on practical)

Dont forget A&P,contra-indications,contra-actions etc also have to be covered on this 1 day course/short course and they charge quite a lot of money for not a lot tbh.Dosn't really give anyone much time for hands on waxing does it?

These are get rich quick scams and unless you are an extremely fortunate individual who has the luxury of being able to see something once,then go away and be able to do it,do NOT do the one day/shorter course.

Some will say,that they have read up on numerous books,that they have practiced loads after the training,and yes,that's great,but surely if you have a certificate in your hand saying you are qualified in waxing,that should mean exactly that.We are all a bit slow when first qualified,that's not the issue,but to not have experienced many different types of hairgrowth on different people,I just dont think that is what being qualified is all about at all.:green:

Well Said Babsann. I wholeheartedly aggree with you. Well said.:hug::hug:

With college you have the advantage of practicing over and over again,you have back up of the tutors and peers alike,you have the best advantage of learning over time.Members of the public come in,you are assessed until you are confident,you do not get this with short courses.There just is not the time.

This is exactly why I put this thread on here as I need the information.
Didn't know if a 1 day course would be good enough to let me see if I could do it.................or just go the full and start from the very beginning on a college course.
Really don't know which way to go, hense me asking.
Thanks for all the reply's, they have ben as helpful as ever!
xxx

I do agree with what babs has said, however, I think that there are some short courses out there which are of a good quality. The reason I say this is because I have actually just done and Indian Head Massage short course and the training lasted for 1 day (9am-4:45pm) but I'm not yet qualified as I have to do 2 case studies at home and take my work back to them in a few weeks to sit a written exam about A+P and have a practical assessment. We spent a couple of hours in the morning doing theory and the rest of the day was spent doing practical. Most places would have given me a certificate that same day and sent me off to begin working on the general public and I can honestly say at this stage don't feel ready as I still need to follow my notes for the routine, so the fact they make you do case studies at home inbetween the assessment date really impressed me. The A+P wasn't incredibly detailed but it's enough to make you understand what mucles and bones you are working on and how you are affecting the circulation and lymphatic system. The place i went to was: Welcome to pinkstrainingacademy.com.
Which is all the way up in Derby which is quite a way for me to go as I live in Gloucestershire, but it goes to show how far I had to travel for a decent short course. I have heard of "fast track NVQ" courses in beauty which I think are completely crap because there is just too much to learn. 2 years condensed to 3 months - utterley ridiculous.
xx:hug:xx

... the "short College Courses" that last 10 weeks are solely for waxing ... 2 year beauty course condensed into 3 months is of course ridiculous .... but 10 weeks full on waxing courses are a different thing

... the "short College Courses" that last 10 weeks are solely for waxing ... 2 year beauty course condensed into 3 months is of course ridiculous .... but 10 weeks full on waxing courses are a different thing
...I was actaully referring to "fast track courses" in NVQ beauty therapy being crap...

I agree with Babs to.

There is to much emphasis on these short courses imo. Why is there such a rush to get it done in one day, I don't get it ? If its something you intend to make a career of then I think it is worth the time and investment to attend a longer course and get the relevant experience.

The only one day courses I have ever attended have been for product knowledge and that is a lot to take in how people manage to learn an entire area of treatments in one day is beyond me.

At college you have the advantage of practising on each other and real paying clients under the supervison of the lecturer.

Latest posts

Back