White marks again, sorry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wellyb

Reaction score
Hi I know this has been done to death, how ever I was gutted today. I have a nail biter who I have had coming religiously for the last 8 weeks whose nails have grown to a fabulous normal length after she has persevered with solar oil sensations hand cream and two weekly shellac services using a base of bl smoothing gel. However this time when she came she had lost four of her shellacs. Her nails by some miracle were still intact and looked fine underneath. I removed the remaining product by soaking using for the first time on her d solve as we were out of nourishing remover and to my alarm when the product curled away when I removed the shellac removal wrap two of her nails had big white marks on them, these were not the nails that had peeled off but the ones still intact! I never use orange sticks to prize the product away now nor have I ever on this client and I know she is absolutely religious in her oil twice daily and cream three times a day. She does have naturally very ridged nails from years if bitting but I don't know what to do to avoid this further. Will use nourishing remover next time but surely this shouldn't have happened. She is so delighted to finally have nails, loves the French manicure finish but we had to use a colour to cover the marks and I feel like I've let her down!

Without seeing them no one can really say but I used remover on one nail the other day to remove my shellac and brisa lite as id bashed it on my locker at work and tho coudnt see much damage I new there probably was, when it was all soaked off and I looked there was a white mark almost a square and think it was from the bash, I was busy with life so replaced it bit later and the white mark had gone, just was dehydration but looked worse from the bang, so maybe from something similar especially as she had lost a couple and it will be fine next time, but your doing a great job and she is happy, so don't worry to much and wait and see at the next appointment.

I religiously use solar oil and scensations too. :)

Hi I know this has been done to death, how ever I was gutted today. I have a nail biter who I have had coming religiously for the last 8 weeks whose nails have grown to a fabulous normal length after she has persevered with solar oil sensations hand cream and two weekly shellac services using a base of bl smoothing gel. However this time when she came she had lost four of her shellacs. Her nails by some miracle were still intact and looked fine underneath. I removed the remaining product by soaking using for the first time on her d solve as we were out of nourishing remover and to my alarm when the product curled away when I removed the shellac removal wrap two of her nails had big white marks on them, these were not the nails that had peeled off but the ones still intact! I never use orange sticks to prize the product away now nor have I ever on this client and I know she is absolutely religious in her oil twice daily and cream three times a day. She does have naturally very ridged nails from years if bitting but I don't know what to do to avoid this further. Will use nourishing remover next time but surely this shouldn't have happened. She is so delighted to finally have nails, loves the French manicure finish but we had to use a colour to cover the marks and I feel like I've let her down!

Has she replaced biting with tapping?? Like flicking them on a table edge kind of tapping- would explain the white marks. People are not usually upfront about bad habits my auntie pics hers off all the time but would never tell me so x

Is sounds to me that the whit spots in the nail is more likely due to trauma to the nail than anything you have done. If she has been a serious nail biter I would suspect that she is a little desensitised to any pain caused to her nails, so upon asking "have you banged them somehow" or something similar, she Matt not remember if it didn't hurt. Therefore leaving you puzzled as to why there there. X

Just wanted to update this thread. My nail biter came into the salon today. She has not had shellac since her last treatment and she purchased a remove tube to take her last shellac off. She has managed to stop biting her nails and still uses her solar oil twice per day along with cuticle eraser. She has quite ridged nails, but hasn't come back for any more
Shellac treatments as every single one of her nails has white marks on it. I have never once scraped her nail plate I have only ever used recommended removal product and the shellac wraps, she is adamant she follows her after care to the letter, I'm at a loss, there must be an explanation, anyone ?

I would like an answer to this as well as I have a similar client who also has very ridged nails. I too use all the appropriate CND products incl. Noirishing remover, never scrape and my client does aftercare religiously and she has flipping great big White marks on most of her nails. Gods only knows why but it looks terrible.

Xxxxxxx

What do these clients do for a living? Or any changes in hobby? Moved or something physical?? I used to get these white marks a lot when I worked in retail. Have a few now from knocking my nails actually. Only bruising. Harsh removal isn't the only cause so don't be too tough on yourselves

There's a few things here to consider. Age is one. I have quickly read the posts but didn't notice an age on your client (please correct me if I'm wrong;) I definitely notice a huge difference in my clients post menopause/hysterectomy and with medical conditions such as hypothyroid/eczema/psoriasis. The other basic thing to consider, is that nails are made of keratin. I use the analogy with my clients that is regularly publicised that we lose 4kg a year of skin over our body's. This includes our nails. If you were to wrap your body up in cling film for 2 weeks then when it's removed you would have a build up of skin ready to shed and the same goes for nails. White patches don't necessarily mean damage, they can mean a build up of skin cells that would have naturally shed should your nails have been bare. I haven't encountered any problems with clients with white patches and Service breakdown. However, on an aesthetic angle, if a client is wanting a French but has severe white patches, I will lightly buff off the white patches with the 1200 side of a CND Koala. HTH xxxx

Thanks Natasha. The two clients of mine with this problem are different ages one is older mid 60s the other is late 30s. On both clients it is damaging the nails as they are definitely weaker on the white areas so I'm not sure it's what you suggest in these cases. Luckily for me both these clients respect my work and don't think it's anything I'm doing equally I don't think it's anything they are doing. . I think some clients particularly clients with ridged nails has a predisposition to it. It would just be good as a professional to give a definitive answer to why.

This is so interesting to me, just about to have my exam (vctc nail tech) on anatomy etc. haven't come across the build up of cells in my text book, is there a good text you could recommend covering nail conditions? I have the encyclopaedia of nails. Also in this case where you can rule out the history at booking (medication,illness, psoriasis etc) and onycholysis, leukonychia, would you then refer client to gp???

This is so interesting to me, just about to have my exam (vctc nail tech) on anatomy etc. haven't come across the build up of cells in my text book, is there a good text you could recommend covering nail conditions? I have the encyclopaedia of nails. Also in this case where you can rule out the history at booking (medication,illness, psoriasis etc) and onycholysis, leukonychia, would you then refer client to gp???

Our skin cells are constantly exfoliating and sloughing away. That is the cycle of skin growth ... Cuticle is just exfoliated dead skin cells from the nail folds that are deposited on the nail plate; most are rubbed off the nail during everyday activities but they tend to build up where they are not rubbed off ... Which is at the sidewalls and eponychium.

When biting your nails lots of damage is being done to the nail plate, some you can see some you cant...when you think about it its like constantly grinding something against the nail plate (teeth) which are doing the damage similar to that of a nail tech removing improperly. It then takes a good 6-8 months if not longer for the nails to fully grow out the damaged nail and new nail to have grown through.

To me it sounds like the white spots are appearing as her nails are growing and the acetone/remover is sitting in all the unseen dips etc in the nail. Therefore i would advise your client to keep having shellac until her nails have completely grown through and the damage grown out. Not only that she needs to make sure that she has completely broken the habit of nail biting and that her nails are strong enough to cope without some coating on them. hth

Our skin cells are constantly exfoliating and sloughing away. That is the cycle of skin growth ... Cuticle is just exfoliated dead skin cells from the nail folds that are deposited on the nail plate; most are rubbed off the nail during everyday activities but they tend to build up where they are not rubbed off ... Which is at the sidewalls and eponychium.

Yes sorry I am aware that cuticle is skin growth, my question was in relation to skin cells becoming white patches on the nail plate away from these areas??

I can only say the only time I have seen white spots is on two of my clients that admit to not using there nail oil, I also have a third client that also admits to not using nail oil and her nails are fine, so I think it can be a combination of things dependent on the health of the nail plate.

I recently advised one of my clients that gets the white spots to have a break from Shellac until she can follow proper aftercare, she's having a weekly mini manicure with with warm oil soak and Vinylux and her nails are starting to improve, they were getting so bad that the white spots covered really large patches on all of her nails.

Can you be absolutely certain that your client has followed her aftercare this time around? Maybe she became slack with the oil and didn't want to admit it, It just seems strange to me that she would also normally get her full 2 weeks out of it and this time around she lost 4.

Just to add it might be a good idea after her Shellac is applied you give her a quick warm oil soak with the CND almond milk bath, I offer this sometimes as a little addon service maybe instead of a hand massage or as-well as, and I'm also very careful with removal, I hardly ever use an orangewood stick, if there are tiny bits left on the nail I just scrub with a pad soaked in nourishing remover.

Last edited:
I have a regular client for Shellac, that on her first visit to me I removed the previous salons Shellac and she had white splodges on a few nails. During our conversation and me educating her about Shellac, she told me that she had never been told about Solar oil and the previous salon had removed her Shellac with a metal tool.

On her next visit, we could see the white splodges growing out, with no new ones appearing. I have no idea if it was dehydration or damage during removal because we rectified both issues by her coming to me.

In your case Welly, the only thing you can be 100% on is that you havn't damaged her nails during removal. Even though you believe her, is there any other reason for these white spots other than if she is not using her oil? I'd love to know this for myself as I thought it was only either one of the two. It must be frustrating for you.

Some of my clients are getting these white marks right in the middle of the nail, it looks like something is eating away at their nails! Vinilux badly stained my nails orange, so I won't be recommending it :(

I've got a new client whose nails I have only done twice with Shellac. She is 64, very well kept and has purchased Solar Oil and has told me that she is using it religiously every time she washes her hands etc.

I've removed her last Shellac with no scraping/orange stick and she had white spots on her nails...what could be causing this?

Perhaps not the same thing but I've always had white marks or 'flex' randomly appearing in my nails?! They grow up from cuticle and I think they are leukonychia.

My kids have them too! People used to say it was calcium deficiency or something?

Perhaps not the same thing but I've always had white marks or 'flex' randomly appearing in my nails?! They grow up from cuticle and I think they are leukonychia.

My kids have them too! People used to say it was calcium deficiency or something?

It's definitely not that...these are literally white spots on the surface of the nail. And actual rounded spots.

The only time a calcium deficiency would cause leukonychia is in the case of a very SEVERE dietary insufficiency ... Whatever spots that occur near the matrix and grow out with the nail plate are caused by immature nail cells that have failed to mature and flatten out or by trauma. The calcium thing is a myth.

Latest posts

Back