White Marks on nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

Sleepy Geek Zzzzzzzz
Reaction score
Hiya....

I have a client who used to be a picker client...(the one i did a 1/2 price infill on to stop here picking)

Well she is cured...but the last few times she has been i have noticed when filing down the gel for a rebalance...white marks appearing on her nails....now at first i thought it was pocket lifting...but it isn't. I removed all of the gel to make sure and did a new NNO....next time she comes they look fine....start to file and white marks again.

You know when you scratch your arm ....it causes the blood to come to the surface and makes your arm go read....well its almost like stimulation with a file and they go white....:confused:...but don't stay white...by the time i have finished doing her nails you can barely see it...and when she comes back 4 weeks later there is no sign of it until i start to file again.

It looks like those white marks that get called calcium spots (cant remember its proper name)

i don't have this on anyone elses....

its definitely on the nail and not the gel....

anyone any ideas...?

its in the natural nail? Just like a white drop? is it there all the time?

its on the natural nail...wouldnt say a drop...and it only comes up when i start to file.

Hey missus - congrats on your new mod status!

I have encountered phenomenon this on 2 separate clients I too thought it was pocket lifting but its not. I noticed mine become more visible after I use scrubfresh so wondered if its dehydration?

Kx

thanks chick...:hug:

yup thats when mine shows up too....but its only on parts of the nail...???

thanks chick...:hug:

yup thats when mine shows up too....but its only on parts of the nail...???

Hey Puss... are you absolutely sure it's not onycholysis? If she has been bad at picking... what is appearing in zone 1/2 was before in zone 3 and could be major thinning of the NNP... it won't appear until it get's towards the free edge... if you push the NN up slightly at the free edge... it appears!! Just a thought!

Hey Puss... are you absolutely sure it's not onycholysis? If she has been bad at picking... what is appearing in zone 1/2 was before in zone 3 and could be major thinning of the NNP... it won't appear until it get's towards the free edge... if you push the NN up slightly at the free edge... it appears!! Just a thought!

nope...that did cross my mind....but its been ages since she picked and its not got the same look as onycholysis...its on the nail bed and not at all connected with the free edge.:confused:...but thanks...:hug:

i have a couple of clients like this,too. Both of them are ladies who are menopausal, one is on HRT, the other i dont know if she is.
Thier nails dont appear to be lifting until i start filing then usually i need to file down to the stress area, and the whiteness is evident, even before my prep (although after application of dehydrator its much worse.)
These clients definitley would be in the category of mega lifting.Although bear in mind i dont do gel, just l&p usually. I have gone the gel route with these and found the same pretty much.
Another client who was young but on IVF meds had the same problem with white patches. Defo not leukconychia (sp).
I think with my clients its defo a dry nail plate, as when oiled it does appear better..but it isnt practical to oil before a enhancement service unfortunately.
I dont know if your clients are experiencing more lifting than others with this,Angie?
With mine i would guess thier keratin levels are pretty poor which would create the lifting?? Possibly hormone related??
With mine i just get them back every two and ensure they use cuticle oil 2xdaily...thats pretty much all i can do.

My nails do this, I call them dry patches lol, because after a splash of nail oil they come right and I dont see them again until I buff off completely, normally when I take my ehancements off I leave a 24 hours break to allow the nail to rehydrate (lots of oil in that time) i know its not practable for a client but it works for me, I find (and it may spark controvercy?) that no matter how much solar oil I use it never seems to get to the nail plate like it should do (I wear thin enhancements too) its the only reason I can think of for these dry patches (I never over file, my nails are in tip top condition bar the dry patches) the oils just not getting through.

I have clients that have this 'white marks' too. only on filing i can see it and after finishing an infill, it fades, then on her return after 2-3wks, you can't see it at all until i start filing again!! Ever so strange???

I'm not sure why this happens, ive noticed on different clients, whether ex-biters, pickers or normal and it's only on GEL clients!!?

Latest posts

Back