White marks?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkies!

Reaction score
Why is it that whenever I apply an overlay to myself (with or without forms & with any system) I get this white mark under my smile line???

I say overlay but it prob still happens when it's a sculpt but as I do permanent french I just can't can't see it.

If you push the ball of your finger onto a hard surface you will kinda see what it looks like.

It takes about an hr or so for it to appear after applying the enhancement.

I can't remember if it used to happen when I used to do tips (?).

Any ideas???

hi pinkies

it sounds to me like it may be an area of pocket lifting....make sure your prep is extra good and when you apply press the product well at the place you normally get the light areas....it could also be because of ill fitting tips ...but seeing as this happens when you apply overlays ...this is obviously not thee problem

hope this helps

debbie

Hi, thanks for your post but it is def not pocket lifting, the mark is def on my natural nail. (I use gel by the way). And I never use tips so it's not that. It's kinda like a mark caused by pressure but it happens even if I haven't used forms???

i used to get the white marks but it cant be for the same reason as you as mine only used to happen with using tips...I realised mine were caused by stress marks on the tips caused by using tip taylors.

Hi Pinkies!

It sounds like stress to me. Is your natural nail a bit thin in that area?

All overlay systems shrink slightly during polymerisation. As a generalisation, UV gel tends to shrink the most (hence the rounded appearance on the free edge after curing).

If your nail is thin the shrinking may be putting stress on it and causing this white area. Does this sound possible?

Marian (Newman)

Also, if its only temporary it could be pseudo leukonychia which is temporary whitening of the natural nail plate due to dehydration. After the plate becomes rehydrated, it goes translucent again.

Otherwise (as was previously mentioned) it could just be stress.

Ahhhh I bet you are right there mum!! :idea: If this happened to a client i.e her natural nails were very thin just at the end I would prob recommend manicures first for a while before giving her extensions to allow the thin nail to grow out...would you agree?

Also that's an interesting point Mr Geek...so if this was the cause would there be no problem with it?...i.e just maybe applying lots of solar oil to help

marian you have hit the nail on the head !

all my life, my nails have been ultra thin, i have spent £`s on strengheners.

i thought it was pocket lifting, beads too wet etc, i always get it when i do my own pink n white nails, but thankfully not when i do other peoples.

i am destined never to have fab looking nails :sad:

if it appears after a course of dehydration (ie prep) and then dispaears... its most likely pseudo leukonychia and is perfectly fine.

Marian - This time I didn't use gel I used an Backscratchers dip system, does this still shrink? But I wouldn't say my nails are thin?

Geek - Sometimes it fades down a bit but never really goes?

then its most likely onycholysis from application stress :(

The Nail Geek said:
then its most likely onycholysis from application stress :(
Sorry to be a pain Geek but it's deffo not that either, when I remove all products it goes.

I'll try & take a photo that shows it...

1511P5170002.jpg

Can you see it??

1511P5140017.jpg

This is before - with no mark!!

Hi Pinkies

I would deffo say it is stress due to shrinkage. Especially as it goes when all product is removed (no stress).

The polymerisation of all systems causes some shrinkage and your nail plates and beds may just be suseptable to it.

Great nails!

Mr Geek, sir! Thanks for allowing me to learn a new thing today. The pseudo leuchonychia thingy! Have seen it before but now it has a name and a cause in words.

One very inportant thing I learnt quite some time ago is that, in the early years in this career, learn at least one new thing every day; in the next few years learn a new thing whenever you can; in later years, find out what you missed the first time around and what new technology and research is available and NEVER, NEVER think you know it all!!!
Marian

mum said:
Hi Pinkies

I would deffo say it is stress due to shrinkage. Especially as it goes when all product is removed (no stress).

The polymerisation of all systems causes some shrinkage and your nail plates and beds may just be suseptable to it.

Great nails!

Mr Geek, sir! Thanks for allowing me to learn a new thing today. The pseudo leuchonychia thingy! Have seen it before but now it has a name and a cause in words.

One very inportant thing I learnt quite some time ago is that, in the early years in this career, learn at least one new thing every day; in the next few years learn a new thing whenever you can; in later years, find out what you missed the first time around and what new technology and research is available and NEVER, NEVER think you know it all!!!
Marian

Marian has hit he nail on the head .... this is caused by product shrinkage.

Sorry to be a pain and completely divert from the topic! Please could Pinkies tell me how she created that fab nail - what glitter mix is that please. Thats one ov the nicest Ive ever seen:)

Arh, thank you Alex! I just got a blob of gel on my brush & dipped it into a pot of glitter from NSI!

ALEX said:
Sorry to be a pain and completely divert from the topic! Please could Pinkies tell me how she created that fab nail - what glitter mix is that please. Thats one ov the nicest Ive ever seen:)

Thanks for all your replies, I'm glad I know what it is now! I take it it is still ok to wear enhancements? Not that I do often!
Mr Geek - how long does PL last? I know it's not that as it doesn't disappear, (until products are removed) but I was just wondering, thanks.

Hi Pinkie, I use IBD gel and i used to get those annoying white strech marks all the time! :( the last set ive applied havent done it though! The only thing i changed :idea: was i used scrub fresh and put the smile line a little further down (because i would apply the naill and it would look perfect then withn the hour these strech marks would appear). I can see most people who have replied haven't seen this before or don't understand what we are talking about! but i know exactly what your talking about! I thought i was the only one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back