white paint on gels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angel fingers

Reaction score
can you help me out on the application of paint on white gels please.i have n.s.i extreme white balance gel, in the instuctions it tells you to apply it after nail is complete and then apply finish gel. i find that this results in the tip area being raised from the rest of the nail. when i apply it before the rest of the gel i get a better finish but i often find that when i shape with the file i go through the clear layer and into the white which results in a patchy tip area when the finish is applied :confused: give us a clue !!! :biggrin:

I have had exactly the same problem. Why don't you try one coat of basic clear, then the white tip, then two coats of builder, then finish - and cure each layer for the relevant amount of time...

If your doing an extension, can you not apply the tip as normal then apply the white gel to the tip to create your smile line then apply the gel?

Im sure it says to put a one coat of clear gel before apply the extreme white. Let me know what happens I have ordered one!

I work almost exclusively with gels and having tried different products and different techniques, i've found that both ways work. Usually i put the base gel first, then the white followed by the builder. If you have a tendency to file through to the white then you are either building the nail too thin or filing too much. Try working on building a nail that needs only minimal filing. However, if you want to use the white right under the gloss layer, then you have to be very careful to apply it thinly! This normally works well with extreme whites with a thin consistency. When using a natural white that has a thicker consistency this doesn't work very well. Good Luck!

Just to reiterate Wink's post:

You can put the paint on white before the rest of the gel, however during finishing, most have a tendency to file the edges off the white.
If you cant work thinner with your paint on white, then try applying a final coat of clear after the white. That should smooth it out enough for you ;)

Hope this helps

I would like to try doing white with my gel, I'm using Claws clear UV Gel. Is there a white that goes with this? How long do you cure the white layer for? I have no idea how to do this, so is there a step-by-step someone can point me to?

thanks people!

Teena B

Teena_B said:
I would like to try doing white with my gel, I'm using Claws clear UV Gel. Is there a white that goes with this? How long do you cure the white layer for? I have no idea how to do this, so is there a step-by-step someone can point me to?

thanks people!

Teena B
to be honest, i've never heard of claws, so cant advise on that brand. but there is a lot of great gel info and tutorials at polished.ca :D

Claws is a star nail range, so any star white gel will go with it

Why not try More Than White liquid Acrylic?

This is a very white thin liquid acrylic that you just paint on to the tip and let dry for 2 minutes and then add your gel. It leaves NO ridge or built up area and needs no curing. It works with any gel system and is as simple as applying a normal enamel.

geeg said:
Why not try More Than White liquid Acrylic?

This is a very white thin liquid acrylic that you just paint on to the tip and let dry for 2 minutes and then add your gel. It leaves NO ridge or built up area and needs no curing. It works with any gel system and is as simple as applying a normal enamel.
Following what Geeg has suggested i received my trial kit with NSI Balance Gel and found the white gel too dull and so have used my mtw with it and it looks really nice and as Geeg said it doesnt look thick at the tip.

I use the brisa system and I put the white on last. I make the shape of my nail as if i were doing a 1 color nail. then i bevel the free edge slightly to make it a little thinner then i apply one coat of the paint on white making my smile, cure then apply 2nd coat of white to fix any streakiness ( keepin both thin) then i appy two coats of brush on clear gloss, cure and done. I like this method also because rebalnces are so much easier to do plus i cap the free edge completly

sorry, being nosey here, but why do you feel the need to apply two coats?

angel fingers said:
can you help me out on the application of paint on white gels please.i have n.s.i extreme white balance gel, in the instuctions it tells you to apply it after nail is complete and then apply finish gel. i find that this results in the tip area being raised from the rest of the nail. when i apply it before the rest of the gel i get a better finish but i often find that when i shape with the file i go through the clear layer and into the white which results in a patchy tip area when the finish is applied :confused: give us a clue !!! :biggrin:

Try this..this works for me.... with the finishing gel;after you have used the paint on white and cured this, apply the finishing gel over the whole nail, then swipe with the brush across the white area from side to side, this reduces the bulk of the finishing gel and leaves it nice and flush by the time you have done the four fingers, it self levels and at the same time it caps the free edge as some of the gel will be automatically be taking over the edge hence capping it.........

Just my way of doing it xxx

I apply 2 coats of white both very thinly so i dont bulk up the nail by trying get a perfect smile and color in that coat. I find easier to get a crisp smileline 7 nice clean white with 2 coats . if my smile isnt perfect on first coat i clean up smile with scrubfresh then cure, then I apply second coat making the white nice and bright as well as going slighty over smileline ensuring a nice crisp smile. as for clear gloss i ussualy do one coat but for clients who need a little extra i add 2nd coat.

Latest posts

Back