Quantcast

White powder contaminated

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

sequinto

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2004
Messages
411
Reaction score
1
Location
St Lawrence Bay, Essex
I thought it was my brush so today used new one and blow me if there wasnt little yellow streaks on white tip i then used white powder from new jar and it was fine no yellowing how could this have happened? i always keep my powders in little dappen dishes and they r always covered in between sets any suggestions to avoid this occuring again
 

fiona wallace

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2003
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
92
Location
Scotland
Hi Jackie, sorry to hear you're having probs, can I ask, what do you mean you keep your powders in dappen dishes? and also, 'keep them covered between sets'? Your powders should be in either their original containers if using the 8/10oz size or in the ceramic pots with proper tight fitting lids. You should have your powders covered at ALL times except when applying your acrylic, ie, once you have prepped the nails and applied and blended your tips (if using tips) open your pots only to apply acrylic to all 10 nails, as soon as you have finished your application, close all pots before starting your filing and finishing, this ensures no dust can contaminate the powder. Hope this helps!!!
 

sequinto

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2004
Messages
411
Reaction score
1
Location
St Lawrence Bay, Essex
Hi Fiona i take a certain amount of white & pink powder form the big jars put it intodamppen dishes and put the lids on when i do a set of nails i only take the lids of when i need that powder hope this makes sense
 

Cathie!

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2004
Messages
5,483
Reaction score
272
Location
South West England
Hi Fiona

So if you have 4 oz pots would you decant into something smaller such as a 1 oz pot or would you use something completely different and if so how much would you decant at one time? And once this was used up would you simply decant more?

I work from my 4 oz pots and have never had a problem. Just wondering what others do and if working from 4 oz pots is a big NO NO!!

Hope this makes sense.
 

sequinto

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2004
Messages
411
Reaction score
1
Location
St Lawrence Bay, Essex
nails@42ndstreet said:
Hi Fiona

So if you have 4 oz pots would you decant into something smaller such as a 1 oz pot or would you use something completely different and if so how much would you decant at one time? And once this was used up would you simply decant more?

I work from my 4 oz pots and have never had a problem. Just wondering what others do and if working from 4 oz pots is a big NO NO!!

Hope this makes sense.
Hi cathy i always take my powder from original jars and place into dappen dishes
when needed, i do this as i think in my opionion it lookes nicer on the table than having bigger pots, plus i was worried if ever it did become contaminated i am only throwing away whats in the dappen dish and not a big jar hth
 

talented talons

Master Artist
Joined
Mar 24, 2004
Messages
3,176
Reaction score
71
Location
essex
I also decant into a plastic dappen dish, which when i've finished applying the acrylic i put the lid straight on. Also i've found as i use the pink, blue and white dappen dishes, if you get a lint free wipe and place it on the dish, then when you put the lid on it gives a nice tight fit to the dish, so no worries about lid possibly coming off.

I have found if by accident Jackie you touch the bottom of your dappen dich when picking up a bead, you sometimes leave a bit behind, which isn't noticable but could be contaminating your application. When i've finished doing the L&P i always jiggle the dappen dish at an angle which then you can see if you've left any behind, then if you have you have to throw away whats left. It means you don't get hard lumps in it, which you could pick up by accident next time.

Hope this makes sense.:o
 

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Geek
Joined
Jan 9, 2003
Messages
13,265
Reaction score
667
Location
Leeds, UK
I freaking hate working from powder in small dapped dishes. It drives me ape poop as there isnt a great amount of 'drawing' space as the mouth of the dappen dishes are pretty small. This means it is much easier to touch the sides of the container when picking up a bead. If the bead touches the container, it grabs to it dropping into the rest of your powder whhich can contaminate it.

Personally, I prefer to work out of 8/10 oz size containers (yes I decant larger sizes into the 8/10 oz sizes). You dont have to work from 8/10 oz size, but the size of the 8/10oz mouth is perfect for me.

As far as the yellowing, I would bet your brush that the latest batch of yellowing is due to starch in your brush and not that your powder is contaminated.

Hope this helps :D
 

sequinto

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2004
Messages
411
Reaction score
1
Location
St Lawrence Bay, Essex
The Nail Geek said:
I freaking hate working from powder in small dapped dishes. It drives me ape poop as there isnt a great amount of 'drawing' space as the mouth of the dappen dishes are pretty small. This means it is much easier to touch the sides of the container when picking up a bead. If the bead touches the container, it grabs to it dropping into the rest of your powder whhich can contaminate it.

Personally, I prefer to work out of 8/10 oz size containers (yes I decant larger sizes into the 8/10 oz sizes). You dont have to work from 8/10 oz size, but the size of the 8/10oz mouth is perfect for me.

As far as the yellowing, I would bet your brush that the latest batch of yellowing is due to starch in your brush and not that your powder is contaminated.

Hope this helps :D
plz can u explain starch in brush have not heard this expression before
 

Cathie!

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2004
Messages
5,483
Reaction score
272
Location
South West England
Phew .. sometimes I wander round my living room in circles wondering if I'm doing the right thing or not...info overload... ... ... ...
 

sequinto

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2004
Messages
411
Reaction score
1
Location
St Lawrence Bay, Essex
nails@42ndstreet said:
Phew .. sometimes I wander round my living room in circles wondering if I'm doing the right thing or not...info overload... ... ... ...
i have to print some of it off so i can remember it all
 

fiona wallace

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2003
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
92
Location
Scotland
Hello again Jackie, can I ask if you work from a salon setting or are you mobile? I have only seen this yellowing occur twice in 7 years - both times was when a student was coming to me for a 1 to 1 training and they had been carrying their brushes around in a kit bag with the brush uncovered. Where is your brush when not in use? You need to ensure your brush is cleaned in your monomer when you finish applying and it should then be kept away from all contaminants, even if only wrapped in a piece of kitchen roll and laid flat somewhere safe this would avoid 'dirty brush syndrome'. Let me know how you get on, Fiona
 

talented talons

Master Artist
Joined
Mar 24, 2004
Messages
3,176
Reaction score
71
Location
essex
Hey Jackie, i think what Sam means is you know the brush is stiff when you buy it well pehaps its starch they use to keep it that way, so if you don't rinse it through with monomer enough it will contaminate your nails.

Just a thought.
 

sequinto

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2004
Messages
411
Reaction score
1
Location
St Lawrence Bay, Essex
fiona wallace said:
Hello again Jackie, can I ask if you work from a salon setting or are you mobile? I have only seen this yellowing occur twice in 7 years - both times was when a student was coming to me for a 1 to 1 training and they had been carrying their brushes around in a kit bag with the brush uncovered. Where is your brush when not in use? You need to ensure your brush is cleaned in your monomer when you finish applying and it should then be kept away from all contaminants, even if only wrapped in a piece of kitchen roll and laid flat somewhere safe this would avoid 'dirty brush syndrome'. Let me know how you get on, Fiona
Hi Fiona i am salon based when i finish a client i clean brush if fresh monomer then wipe brush very carefully to dry as much as poss then wrap in clean tissue then lay flat in bottom drawer of manicure table
 

sequinto

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2004
Messages
411
Reaction score
1
Location
St Lawrence Bay, Essex
talented talons said:
Hey Jackie, i think what Sam means is you know the brush is stiff when you buy it well pehaps its starch they use to keep it that way, so if you don't rinse it through with monomer enough it will contaminate your nails.

Just a thought.
Hi wendy no what u mean now been using this brush for some time now so surly it cant b that (feel a bit thick and stupid now)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top