White spots on nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polished615

Reaction score
Hello, I see white spots on the toenails after removing the polish. I use a base polish and a top coat, I’m very gentle when pushing the cuticle back and gentle when using nippers. Any suggestions?

Probably dehydration from the acetone in the remover.

Probably dehydration from the acetone in the remover.
What would you recommend to use? Would you just stick with the manufacturers product instead?

What would you recommend to use? Would you just stick with the manufacturers product instead?

One with some kind of conditioning ingredients, and lots of Solar Oil

Soak your feet in water for a few minutes. If the spots are still there when the feet are dry, it is not dehydration. In that case, it may be surface damage due to the polish flexing on the nail or if the polish has been scraped or pushed off before being fully soft.

I have done extensive experimenting regarding the white spots. Some people tend to get them while others do not. I believe it is a correlation between the water soaking into the nail and the skin cells on top of the nail. Mold cells are growing. If caught soon enough, they can be buffed off but you need to be careful about thinning the nail. I do my soaking first, foot buffing and scrub. Rinse feet and take them out of the water for the rest of the pedicure. Right after taking out of the water, do your cuticle work, be sure to remove cuticle all the way down the nail. That is critical. Then trim nails and massage. Remove lotion reallly good before putting on base coat. I use tammy taylor fresh nail before base coat, to kill any remaining mold. Wipe with acetone, let dry for a minute or so and apply base and polish. One other thing, I don't remove the polish until I am done with the water-portion of the pedicure. I let it protect the nails while soaking.

IBX is a two step product designed specifically for surface damage of nail plate. I have used it for white spots and it does help some nails. The white spots, as stated above by Bob, are normally not dehydration but damage to the plate.

IBX enters the nail plate and is cured to bond it into the plate. However gentle we think we are to the surface, there will be some damage if we use implements on the soft surface. Even too much pressure while working the cuticle area eventually grows out and will reveal the damage.

I have done extensive experimenting regarding the white spots. Some people tend to get them while others do not. I believe it is a correlation between the water soaking into the nail and the skin cells on top of the nail. Mold cells are growing. If caught soon enough, they can be buffed off but you need to be careful about thinning the nail. I do my soaking first, foot buffing and scrub. Rinse feet and take them out of the water for the rest of the pedicure. Right after taking out of the water, do your cuticle work, be sure to remove cuticle all the way down the nail. That is critical. Then trim nails and massage. Remove lotion reallly good before putting on base coat. I use tammy taylor fresh nail before base coat, to kill any remaining mold. Wipe with acetone, let dry for a minute or so and apply base and polish. One other thing, I don't remove the polish until I am done with the water-portion of the pedicure. I let it protect the nails while soaking.
After using the method above, my clients and I have seen the white spots not continue and the remaining spots move down while the new nails grow.

I, too, leave the polish on until last of pedicure. Too much absorption and the polish may not dry well or fast enough on the bottom layers.

That’s exactly how I do my ped, with the exception of when you remove the polish. I will give that a try.

Latest posts

Back