White tips, gel not staying!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo Watts

Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone help me? Im new to using white tips and for some reason my gel im using over them is not staying put.

This is my procedure:

• prepare the nail
  • fit and apply white tip, cut and file
  • apply primer to remaining nail
  • apply thick layer of gel along the smile line to try and even out where the tip meets the nail
  • cure
  • apply another layer of gel
  • cure
  • remove sticky residue
Its at the point of removing the sticky residue that it appears to remove all the gel I have applied!
What am i doing wrong? Is it something obvious or could it be that my led lamp is not curing the gel and so im just wiping it straight off?

I will be on here for another half hour and thank you if you reply to this thread but get no response from me for a couple of days as I am out all day tomorrow so wont check back till Sunday.

Thanks
Jo
x

Are you using LED gels?

No, im using The Edge uv soak and buff off gel.
Is that the really obvious problem? I was lead to believe it could be cured with an led.
Thanks
Jo

Are you trained in using gels?

Hi, are you buffing the white tip before applying gel. Not sure what you mean by applying thick layer of gel where tip is applyed. After applying tip, buff, prime I apply a very thin bonding layer. then cure, then builder layer, cure. Wipe, file, buff, top shine. xx

Please excuse maybe my ingorance of other brand of gel.. as i do not use The Edge products... may i ask why you are first placing a thick layer of gel at the smile line to even it out... ???

Sarah xx

Are you trained in using gels?
Hi KSRR
Yes I completed a gel nail extensions course in January. However it did not include using white tips so im practicing on myself with these at the moment.

Hi, are you buffing the white tip before applying gel. Not sure what you mean by applying thick layer of gel where tip is applyed. After applying tip, buff, prime I apply a very thin bonding layer. then cure, then builder layer, cure. Wipe, file, buff, top shine. xx
Hi Shirleymcc,
Yes i buff the white tip before applying gel.
What i mean about the thick layer of gel is, where you glue the tip on to your nail you obviously have a ridge there. So to get rid of this ridge (as obviously it cant be blended :o)) i am applying an amount of gel to this area (basically zone 2) to try and make the ridge unnoticeable. I hope im explaining myself ok - not sure how else to explain it! :o) I think this answers your question too Sarah (Nailz73)
Thanks ladies

Uv gel and white tips aren't the best of bedfellows!
The white of the tip often reflects the uv and doesn't fully cure the gel.
Because of this I personally didn't like the hit and miss of using white tips to create a French. So I use a white gel to create the french look.

Sent from my LT15i using SalonGeek

Hi Jo, even after the bonding layer there will be a slight ridge. But the builder layer will even this out. Sorry, this doesn't answer your original question. hope someone else can help you. xx

Uv gel and white tips aren't the best of bedfellows!
The white of the tip often reflects the uv and doesn't fully cure the gel.
Because of this I personally didn't like the hit and miss of using white tips to create a French. So I use a white gel to create the french look.

Hi NoticeableNails,
Im beginning to wonder if its worth perservering, but i know it can be done so its frustrating.
:o)
Jo

Hi Jo, even after the bonding layer there will be a slight ridge. But the builder layer will even this out. Sorry, this doesn't answer your original question. hope someone else can help you. xx
Hi Shirleymcc
When you say you apply a bonding layer - do you mean just a thin layer of gel over the entire nail and tip, then apply the builder layer as a thicker layer to minimize the ridge?

Thank you for your help so far though! All advice is useful! :o)
Jo
x

I would check with your distributor if the gel can be cured with LED.
I've just googled it and it doesn't mention curing with LED, but I don't use that system, so can't say for sure x

When you say you apply a bonding layer - do you mean just a thin layer of gel over the entire nail and tip, then apply the builder layer as a thicker layer to minimize the ridge?

Jo
x[/QUOTE]

Yip, really thin bonding layer, cure. Then with your builder layer create your apex and shape your nail, this layer will fill in the ridge. Cure. Cleanse. File to ensure perfect shape, buff, dust, Top shine, Like the previous geek I prefer to use white gel and rarely use white tips. xx

I would check with your distributor if the gel can be cured with LED.
I've just googled it and it doesn't mention curing with LED, but I don't use that system, so can't say for sure x
Thanks Tazmari, I will check
Jo
x

Thing is though once you get over this issue with french tips and uv gel, you'll come to another one! How are you going to maintain the french look if you've used white tips? Obviously if you were working with l&p you could easy soak off and re-apply after a couple of fill appointments , but with gel that's alot of filing! I don't tend to do new sets with gel. All my gel clients end up being natural nail overlays. That's why I decided to concentrate my effort on perfecting my white gel application as it is easily maintained at each appointment. I use a thinner brush on style white gel.

Jo
x

Yip, really thin bonding layer, cure. Then with your builder layer create your apex and shape your nail, this layer will fill in the ridge. Cure. Cleanse. File to ensure perfect shape, buff, dust, Top shine, Like the previous geek I prefer to use white gel and rarely use white tips. xx[/QUOTE]
Thanks Shirleymcc,
I will probably move to using white gel instead of tips, but would like to get this right first.
Im assuming that if you use white gel to create the french manicure look that you either do this straight onto natural nails if they are long enough or over natural tips? Sorry to keep asking questions!
Jo
x

Thing is though once you get over this issue with french tips and uv gel, you'll come to another one! How are you going to maintain the french look if you've used white tips? Obviously if you were working with l&p you could easy soak off and re-apply after a couple of fill appointments , but with gel that's alot of filing! I don't tend to do new sets with gel. All my gel clients end up being natural nail overlays. That's why I decided to concentrate my effort on perfecting my white gel application as it is easily maintained at each appointment. I use a thinner brush on style white gel.

Hi Noticeablenails,
After having looked at other threads on here i think maintaining the look with white tips is going to be difficult. It seems that people tend to remove entirely and redo, however i have seen threads of people cutting the tip down after regrowth and repainting a new smile line over the top with white gel.
Always lots to learn isnt there - im sure i will have other issues! :o)
Jo
x

Hiya I think it's this thick ridge layer that might be the cause of the problems. Just apply the tip as normal then gently buff/blend with a white block to smooth down, then do your base layer and cure then do your build layer and when you build the apex it should come out nice and smooth and you won't have a ridge. Then either file and refine the shape or proceed onto your gloss coat.

How long was your course? Did they show you any well less tips???

Hi Waffle4,
I didnt think you were supposed to blend the white tips as it would blend away the sharp smile line wouldnt it?
My course was 2 full days, (i had already done a manicure course) so it involved, contra-indications, nail prep, tip application (natural tips) blending, gel application and maintenance.
They didnt cover well less tips
Jo
x

Latest posts

Back