Who are the new Big Names in our Industry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know of quite a few fab nail artists who don't enter the main comps in the Uk because it seems the same people win most of them , the rules often seem a bit shady ,
They cost alot to enter especially for the photography catogerys.

I do think some of the best are hidden away in salons and the like working hard and going unnoticed , it seems often it's who you know not what you do or how well you do it.

, it seems often it's who you know not what you do or how well you do it.

Isnt that the same in most careers ;)

I do agree with geeg on some points too, in that working (hard!) away in the background does build you a good reputation. I have always been a kind of a slow and steady wins the race kind of tech :wink2:

Being part of a team is also a good way to build your reputation and get to know fellow tech's and what they are doing.
By team I mean initially your supplier/distributor, and attending classes and furthering your education will build your own team of likeminded tech's who can advise and support you.

As the title says this was not just about Nail Competitions , but who are the 'new' big names in the Nail Industry.
To answer my own question though, I think the Scratch Stars soon to be announced will be a new breed of nail tech's to be aspired to and motivated by.
But how did they get to be nominated, and what is their story?

I would love to hear from some of the nominees on this thread.

Are they the proof that working away in the background building a good solid reputation will eventually get you industry recognition?

I would love to go and watch one of these competitions if they have them here!? I however would be way to scared to compete even if I was the best nail tech ever! I remember demonstrating acrylic nails at a course (my old boss used to train nail techs) and it was partly being filmed for a reality show and I had a minor inner anxiety attack just of the thought of the camera filming me I started sweating and stuff...so I dont think I could ever do a comp....but it really would be a dream of mine....if I could get over my stage fright and learn to do all that arty stuff that is...im better at doing l&p permanent french.

I would love to compete in the student section but unfortunately we have to be nominated by our tutor/college has to put us forward for that and the answer was a big fat NO! Lol x

To answer my own question though, I think the Scratch Stars soon to be announced will be a new breed of nail tech's to be aspired to and motivated by.
But how did they get to be nominated, and what is their story?

I would love to hear from some of the nominees on this thread.

Are they the proof that working away in the background building a good solid reputation will eventually get you industry recognition?

I was nominated by I dont know who by or how many but there were over 1200 nominees for the scratch stars award and then the judges went through the list of nominees and then decided after reading the facts, what were the reasons people had nominated them for, and seeing examples of their work if they were good enough to go through as a finalist.
I was gobsmacked when I got the call to say I was a finalist in the Nail stylist section.
To be up there with people who when I started in the industry I looked upto made me very humble indeed.
I Can honestly say I dont know why I was chosen to go forward as a finalist and it was one of the scariest things I have ever done to date in my career, going to London for our interviews and practical. Then the long wait to find out who has won.
It all helps us to be who we are at the end of the day. There are those that want or need the limelight but don't really care about the finshed product, they just want to show how big they are by doing these celebs and shouting about it, where are they at the end of the day? They are the only ones blowing their own trumpets. The celebs, who's nails they do don't rave about them.....
I find it very strange and odd when people have come up to me at trade shows and said OMG your'e her from Scratch mag, or people who I have never met come up to me and know my name.
It is a bizarre feeling that for some people they feel the same way about me that I still do about some of the other names in the industry.
I have never ventured into the competition arena, prefering to enter online comps, I go to pot under pressure and know I wont perform at my best.
I don't feel that a competition is going to make me better at what I do or change who I am. I am just me little old Jen aka Busybee plodding along doing something I love and I dont need all the fame and fortune.
I am happy with what I am doing thank you very much.
I am just one of the lucky ones who is priviledged to be able to do what I love on a daily basis and get to share my knowledge and passion daily with others and my students.
Doesn't make me any better than the next person.
Just keep it real and what will be will be.
xoxoxox

Last edited:
You've obviously got the technical skills Jen, and by the sound of your post you're also a lovely humble person. I'd say thats why you're respected and were nominated, xx

I personally believe that nail competitions don't get you any further than hard work and commitment. In my eyes the only competition worth taking part in would be the 'salon nail' section. And not the competition nail section.
Nail competitions are really a confident boosts, or for some to find out how up to scratch their skills are.
It's a good way to get honest opinion and advise on your strong points and your not so strong point and how to improve them. It's also great for people that work alone and don't have anyone to critique their work! And let's face it happy clients pay bills and competitions get you.......... Well no further than you already are.
Regarding the competition nail, I personally don't see point of it. It doesn't really show off your skills and doesn't really get you anywhere either. But this is just my own opinion.
If I where to enter a competition it would be the salon nail section.

I was nominated by I dont know who by or how many but there were over 1200 nominees for the scratch stars award and then the judges went through the list of nominees and then decided after reading the facts, what were the reasons people had nominated them for, and seeing examples of their work if they were good enough to go through as a finalist.
I was gobsmacked when I got the call to say I was a finalist in the Nail stylist section.
To be up there with people who when I started in the industry I looked upto made me very humble indeed.
I Can honestly say I dont know why I was chosen to go forward as a finalist and it was one of the scariest things I have ever done to date in my career, going to London for our interviews and practical. Then the long wait to find out who has won.
It all helps us to be who we are at the end of the day. There are those that want or need the limelight but don't really care about the finshed product, they just want to show how big they are by doing these celebs and shouting about it, where are they at the end of the day? They are the only ones blowing their own trumpets. The celebs, who's nails they do don't rave about them.....
I find it very strange and odd when people have come up to me at trade shows and said OMG your'e her from Scratch mag, or people who I have never met come up to me and know my name.
It is a bizarre feeling that for some people they feel the same way about me that I still do about some of the other names in the industry.
I have never ventured into the competition arena, prefering to enter online comps, I go to pot under pressure and know I wont perform at my best.
I don't feel that a competition is going to make me better at what I do or change who I am. I am just me little old Jen aka Busybee plodding along doing something I love and I dont need all the fame and fortune.
I am happy with what I am doing thank you very much.
I am just one of the lucky ones who is priviledged to be able to do what I love on a daily basis and get to share my knowledge and passion daily with others and my students.
Doesn't make me any better than the next person.
Just keep it real and what will be will be.
xoxoxox
well fair play to you. you sound like a lovely lady. :Love:
i have more than a sneaking suspicion as to who nominated you though. lol

I started competing last yr and I am now completely hooked. I love the fact I can do something a little different see what my products can do, and it's a good talking point with clients and helped me get more clients, as I did an article in the local paper showing my achievements.
I love the idea that after the comps I can go to the judges and ask them what I need to improve on. I have seen a substantial difference in the nails I produce in salon from competing and getting all the feedback.
I also have some lovely medals to show off too!

I always look out for that young girl, now what is her name, oh yes Kirsty Meakin, she does amazing work and is high up in competition level and was nail pro of the year 2010.

I think she might be an educator or creative director for Nfu-Oh too which I happen to love.

There are loads of stories out there about her but I thought the nails in this one were beautiful.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/stoke/hi/people_and_places/newsid_9036000/9036141.stm

Last edited:
It is true that entering competitions will help to build a name for yourself.
But I think becoming a big name in the industry is not just about entering and winning competitions.

Take for example our very own Gigi.
Gigi has never been active on the competition scene throughout her career but yet she is a HUGE name and receives the most respect from many.

Gigi earned a name for herself by contributing to the industry as oppose to winning competitions. She has been awarded many awards, not for doing the most beautiful competition nails, but for her dedication and passion.

It's very easy for us all to see a row of flowers, decide which is the prettiest and admire it.
But I think sometimes, we could think a little more about the gardener who contributes a lot of hard work to give the flower it's beauty.

Imagine a potential customer walks into your salon and in a display cabinet there are rows of cups you have won at competitions. Do you think they will argue about your price or if you are competent? Will these help you attract the best customers and earn more money? Of course! Because competition competitions not only help you to improve your technique but with success they enhance your reputation - at first locally then nationally, and then perhaps internationally.

When you have earned a reputation, then you have the possibility to influence and help improve the industry by contributing to professional nail magazines, educating or perhaps competition judging.

I am sorry, but celebrity manicurists are not for me the big names in the industry. With the exception of Mum (whose reputation in this industry is due to her contributions to education) - who are they? And what exactly are their skills - mostly limited to manicure? Who see's their nails except people who are not qualified to judge - and in most cases you can't see the nails in the magazines anyway.

New techniques come out of competitions - look no further than the World Championship in Germany. What would have won gel or acrylic a few years ago - has no chance today, as some of the biggest stars in the competition world have found to their cost.

Tom Holcomb was the biggest name in the nail industry - and his reputation came from his enormous competition success, the new techniques he developed, the product company he founded and in later years his reputation as a superb educator.

And what about all those competition judges around the world who give their time and knowledge for free? Should we not respect their contribution? Or the nail magazine editors who keep us informed?

For me Tom was and will continue to personify all that is great in this industry and who I believe every tech should aspire to be - not some silly celebrity manicurist who nobody knows and often who's only goal is to earn as much money for themselves as possible.

Last edited:
Well said bobsweden

Rip Tom ..

I agree that proof of skill, whether by local reputation or competition proof helps show you outstanding.

But so does visibilty. The likes of Roxanne Valinoti are not big competitors. The same with sam sweet, Gigi rouse, Doug schoon or Marion Newmann. But their passion makes their voice loud and clear...

Getting your name and your ability/ knowledge out there for YOUR market to see is what makes you stand out in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back