Who are the new Big Names in our Industry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izzidoll

Strictly Scottish Geek!
Premium Geek
Reaction score
I know the big names are still out there working hard and promoting our Industry like Marian Newman, Liza Smith, Anthony Buckley and Sam Biddle, but who are the new up and comers ?

I like to think I keep up to date on all things nails and I read my Industry mags from cover to cover, and check out who is competing, and doing whatever treatment to whom ;)

This was the kind of thing you would see and read about on here, there would always be a buzz about Salon Geek nearing competition season, but has competing gone out of favour on here?

There used to be threads about what geeks competed and how they fared (usually very well!) but now it seems to all be about the Trade Shows and who is selling what to whom :eek:

Most of the top competitors I know like Hazel Dixon (purelynailz) and the ones already mentioned are judges now, so is the way clear for new fresh talent to come through?

Or have competitions lost their allure, do new tech's still think of this as a way to showcase their talent and hone their skills?

Do you want to make a name for yourself in this Industry or are you just happy to make a living?

Fantastic thread.
Can't realy contribute much to it but to say I wish I could motivate my girls to compete but they are just not interested.
I think they are scared of embarrasing themselves and find the whole iea very daunting.

i'd love to compete at some stage but don't know if i'd have the ****s to do it. great thread izzidoll maybe some who have competed would tell us what's involved, that would be interesting.

There are so many categories now, including salon nails, so I would think more people would be going for it!

Do you think it is a good way to promote yourself, or do you think your clients wouldn't care, and it is more of a way to get yourself known to your fellow techs and possibly a stepping stone to a career as a session tech or an Educator with a products company?

Oh ... I know a few names I could predict will be very well known .. Not Necessarily for competition nails but for those sought out for their expertise and creativity quite a few as a matter of fact and they all use CND I'm happy to say. :)

i think it'd be a great way to challenge yourself. that would be why i'd want to do it .
it'd be a bonus then to meet up with all the other techs.i'd love to meet up with some of the main players in the nail industry, even to meet and put faces to names would be great. i'm sure it'd be very inspiring.
i would love to meet geeg one day ( on a prof basis and not because i'd been arrested for stalking her at her villa) oh and greg salo , i'd also love to meet him.

Oh ... I know a few names I could predict will be very well known .. Not Necessarily for competition nails but for those sought out for their expertise and creativity quite a few as a matter of fact and they all use CND I'm happy to say. :)

What a surprise! (not). :wink2:

Lol. Absolutely not.

There are so many categories now, including salon nails, so I would think more people would be going for it!

Do you think it is a good way to promote yourself, or do you think your clients wouldn't care, and it is more of a way to get yourself known to your fellow techs and possibly a stepping stone to a career as a session tech or an Educator with a products company?

I definately think it would make you stand out from the crowd with our clients. And yes open some doors in the industry.

I've loved looking at the competition nails on here and in magazines but i don't think i would personally do it, although i think it is fantastic...my reason is purely because whenever i'm in an exam type environment or feel scrutinised or under pressure, i cave. I always do worse...it's a nerves thing and something i am definitely working on.

I'm not an extensions geek either.

One reason i can think of that it might not be as popular now is i don't think a lot of people know about the competitions. I didn't know for years, they were never mentioned at college or when i did any training and they weren't mentioned at my workplaces, it wasn't until i came across them in a trade magazine that i thought WOW!

Anything about your salon or therapist that says Award Winning has got to draw some clients to you, even if that wasn't what they were looking for xx

I would love to one day enter comps and build my skills - just not sure how to go about it. I've seen comps at Excel before but other than that dont know where/how I would enter.

What about having a Salon Geek online comp to get some of us started? Have different categories and maybe Gigi and GMG can judge???:green:

What are all the trade magazines? Would love to keep up to date with all the main players and new talent

Also, how do you get started with competitions and how do you go about entering?

Thanks

Great thread - Would love to see SG comps x

Great thread - Would love to see SG comps x

Cheers for that and you pure ;)

We used to have Salon Geel comps, and I once was a judge in one, and boy was it hard work :eek:...but leave that one with me as that is a whole other thread !!

What are all the trade magazines? Would love to keep up to date with all the main players and new talent

Also, how do you get started with competitions and how do you go about entering?

Thanks

Scratch magazine is one of the best!

Also there are competitions at most trade shows so the websites for them will give details...biggest is the Nailympics!

So geeg, what do you think you have to do these days to get yourself noticed and thought of as standing out from the crowd, if not competing?

Also do you think the days of distributors sponsoring and supporting you in competitions are over?

Last edited:
Cheers for that and you pure ;)

We used to have Salon Geel comps, and I once was a judge in one, and boy was it hard work :eek:...but leave that one with me as that is a whole other thread !!

Aw Izzi c'mon you know you'd love to do it again :green:

So geeg, what do you think you have to do these days to get yourself noticed and thought of as standing out from the crowd, if not competing?

Also do you think the days of distributors sponsoring and supporting you in competitions are over?

I think the very best people working in the industry who work weekly with the most famous people are the ones who go quietly about their business and largely don't get noticed.
They are descrete, they earn the trust of the VIPs they deal with and they don't blow their own trumpet all over Facebook and the like.
Many have been working behind the scenes for years and you would never know.
They have worked their way up the ladder slowly but surely and are held in the highest regard.
These ones didn't get where they are by winning industry competitions. CND in the UK have never sponsored anyone in a competition. So I can't speak about distributor sponsorship days being over or not, never having done it. I've taught many competitors how to win . . No matter what product they have used.
If winning is about getting your name noticed, then it is very short lived and not the way. The way is to do your time is with the right people and to gain the trust of the team you work with.
I'm sure my friend Marian would love to reply to this thread, izzy.

I dont think they just use cnd......... i dont................ fnnnnnaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr
oh my god , I cant believe I am brave enough to be pulling gigis leg I know shes gonna get me back for this one but I couldnt resist!!!!!

only joking gigi an everyone else, i dont think that much of myself and im only teasing (tigi makes a sharp exit)...

tigi
xxx

Latest posts

Back