Who are you in the salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you guys do in the salon

• Nothing, I deliver milk for a living

Votes: 19 4.4%
  • I am a booth renter

Votes: 65 15.2%
  • I am an employee in a salon

Votes: 36 8.4%
  • I am a salon owner

Votes: 133 31.0%
  • I am mobile

Votes: 176 41.0%

• Total voters
LMAO!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

xxlaylaxx

:oops: sorry... I did too! Just can't resist the 'alternative' choices you give Sam!

Ali

Hi!
I have been working aa a nail tech full time for nearly 5 years now.
Before going self employed i worked in a local salon for 3 years,
i have been self employed since oct 2001 and i rent space in a salon and i havent looked back!
I would love to have my own salon but the way i look at it im still young and i have got years of nail techin ahead of me...plus i think i owe Mr Visa far too much money.......lol
What i like about being self employed is that i can come and go as i please, i control where my business and career are going..........i will say this tho i didnt work half as hard as i do now since being self employed......your business is only what you put in to it.......and of course i just love what i do!! :D

Jess
;)

I am a new space renter. I rent a space in a Tanning Salon, they take 30% of anything that goes through the till and I buy all my own products.

But I have just realised that when I sell something like Solar Oil, they are making more profit than me! :( Because I have to cover for the cost of the product! Hmmmm! That doesn't right to me! :(

I work in a school as an educational assistant (glorified receptionist??), and it allows me to have a table (rent free), and the school provides any product I may need. It was an awesome opportunity for me, as I can build my clientele, and work for a wage as well.

Hi,

I worked in a salon for 4 years and have just started to work from home, Working in a salon was great, regular money, plenty of clients and lots of friends, but the money was not fantastic, the salon owner stopped putting money into the salon but expected the nail techs to do a full set in an hour, which I did but I did not think I was doing the best possible job.

At home I have six regular clients that followed me when the salon closed and I can give them my time and know that I do the best job I can and I dont have to rush them out of the door, I am also using great products (creative) I have just chosen the name for my salon and printed out price lists. Im very happy.

I work from home and have done for the last three years. Its a steady flow but that the way I like it. Soon will be teaching part time, so my time will be split between the two.

Dawn

i have only been doing nails for about 2 months now and have made my sapre room into a mini salon. I have 5 regular clients at the moment but i am considering renting a table also to build my clientele

sara x

I work my own business now. When I finished my training course, the stories from visiting techs made me run as far from a salon employee situation as quickly as my legs could carry me. Next, I rented space in a hairdressing salon but soon the salon owner was contacting my clients, arranging my appointments and....that's never a good situation to be in. To the girl who posted that her salon owners are taking 30% of all that goes in the till ~ negotiate a better deal or walk! I'll also NEVER work with a queen again. Too much drama and way too much champagne :eek:

So now I'm at home. I've converted the front room into a relaxing area for nails, makeup and waxing services. I choose and control my own stock, run my own incentive programme, regulate my own clientele (yep, I've had to turn away two women who were just....ugh...tooooo much effort) and create my own rewards.

The only thing I am currently reviewing is the security situation. While I live in a relatively safe city, a mobile tech was raped a few weeks back in an adjoining suburb and since then I've stopped doing call outs. I'm still debating inwardly whether to continue at home which is my place of residence, my sanctuary.

I booth rent and although it takes a little longer to build up clientelle, it's a nice system. The salon owner is a dear family friend and really looks after me and the stylists promote all my services.

I pay monthly rent for my "space" which works out nicely since I'm also an esthetician and I have my own treatment room and makeup station alongside the stylists with an additional area out in the salon for my nail services.

I rent a table in my local salon actually its on the same road as my church how cool is that.
I pay a set fee and this week barely made my rent but I know things will blow up in there in Gods time.
I feel like a Jacob and the salon owners are laban's if you've never read the bible you wouldn't understand but if you're curious as to what I mean read Genesis chapter 30 v27-43

The salon owners are always telling me "you take too long to do nails" and commenting that my products are too expensive
customers think you're not good if you don't use drill and do nails quick
Most of the clientele that I have started to build are unhappy ex nss customers
A girl used to rent the table before and so they are comparing my products and services to hers.

Hence my frustration when no-one knows about proper products and services I'm educating my clientele and I'm going to give each a "what you should know before you get your nails done" factsheet to take home with their aftercare.

Chemine the born again nail geek queen!

I own a mobile salon which I work at daily. Either doing mani/pedis or sculptures,and recently began working at a salon to hone my acrylic skills .

If you want to be the best you have to work.And I have been working......50-60 hours a week between the two.

Then working on business planning and researching nail application through practice and my mentor who trained me in sculptures for another 10 or more per week.

Hope I get to my goal before I burn out. But as Neil Young said.... Its better to burn out than to fade away. MY MY ,HEY HEY

I work for myself and I am mostly a mobile nail tech... I love working with nails and getting out and about doing them.. ( I do some ocassional work from home in the evenings after business hours if any of my clients needs me to be available for them...)

Working for myself I have flexible working hours, all expenses are covered in my prices...I'm really lucky to have mostly lovely clients ..all in all..I feel I have the best of two worlds.. being a mum and working in a great job as a mobile nail tech...

:Love:

xOx

I marked Salon Owner ....I have been in my home salon only about 6 months as I'm new to Canada and it took awhile to " get set up " before though I was a Salon Owner as well when I lived in the States . I had a partnership with two other girls....1 hairstylist ,1 manicurist , me......we offerd hair and nails and we offerd booth rent we had a total of 14 on the crew.....we as owners also booth rented to ourselves.....to make paying tax's easier......I have been a booth renter for over 15yrs....and I loved it....you had the freedom to do what you wanted ....use your own products, set prices, shcedule your own clients, make your own hours.....I don't have to booth rent anymore since it is just me.....but I will say I miss the gossip!!! of working with other peeps!!

I am a home salon owner,the advantages of working home

1.I can work as long as i like.
2.If a client cancels i can go and have a nap
3.I feel really comfortable
4.I work on sundays
5.Clients feel really homey when they come
6.i do not have to worry about missing the bus
7.I do not have to pay rent
Disadvantages
1.Clients feel they can pop in whenever they feel like
2.Some show up late because i am home so they figure i have nothing else to do
3.Some client kids will move stuff around your home.
Florentina Alexander
[email protected]
Nails At Last

I am a salon owner from my house and I also go mobile. I love the freedom of working for myself for many reasons. Work around my hours and I love making the business decisions.

Wanted to get the low down on you guys in the salon.
  • Are you a booth renter, employee, or salon owner
  • How long have you been renting,employed, or owning?
  • What do feel the pros/cons are of renting, working for a salon, or owning a salon?
Just being my curious self

Umm I'm the owner and the employee (work from home). I have been doing both 1.5yrs. I have not worked in a salon for many years, not since I was a hairdresser. But my experience then of renting a chair and working under someone else versus now as my own boss as a nail tech..
I MUCH prefer things the way they are now.
I make all the decisions.. ALL of them.
I do NOT have to share part of my profits with anyone other than the government at tax time :lol:
etc etc. The benefits of working from home are many.

The cons:
all the responsibilities and stress are on my shoulders
all the bills are mine.
I can't call in sick and let someone else pick up the slack

I LOVE it:green:

I graduated 2005 and opened my shop last fall. I love everything about it. I have a beautiful, professional shop in my home.

I was self- employed stylist/salon owner for many years a few ago, then left that world and came back...........loving it........

No travel
No salon B.S.
I work all the hours i want- (I want more clients and more hours!)
Flexible hours for myself and client

Currently considering doing some mobile peds for seniors, adding a tanning bed to my salon, and returning to some hairstyling........anything to fill in the blanks and create more $$$$

Happy, Happy, Happy

but mobile too - for those that want thin natural looking nails - where i work im told to do THICK - i dont think so. ive even nabbed a few of the salon clients now, they want me to go to them, and ive told them that i charge alot more than the salon, but they dont seem to mind this one bit

Hi Sam
I Rent 2x rooms in a Warks at a Hydrotherapy Centre (main location) Nails and Beauty
I rent a room in Leamington at Eden Lifestyle Salon( Permanent Cosmetics)
I will shortly be renting a room in a new hair salon called Sensu in Solihull west Midlands ( my home town) my menu will be Nails and all Beauty aspects

I'm doing as much as i can and love love love it
Merry Christmas
Happy New Year
Jenx

Latest posts

Back