Who are you in the salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you guys do in the salon

• Nothing, I deliver milk for a living

Votes: 19 4.4%
  • I am a booth renter

Votes: 65 15.2%
  • I am an employee in a salon

Votes: 36 8.4%
  • I am a salon owner

Votes: 133 31.0%
  • I am mobile

Votes: 176 41.0%

• Total voters
I am a salon owner, since 1990

The cons: being responsible for other peoples lively Hood and staff problems

The pros: far too many to list :lol: i can work how i want, when i want and its all done my way.

Oh and i make a very good living at it :wink2:

Wanted to get the low down on you guys in the salon.
  • Are you a booth renter, employee, or salon owner
  • How long have you been renting,employed, or owning?
  • What do feel the pros/cons are of renting, working for a salon, or owning a salon?
Just being my curious self

I am a Boothrenter and Salon owner.
I have been renting for the past 15 + years..(i stopped counting after 15)
I have owned for the last 5years. I have 7 other BR's that work in my 1400 sq ft salon. We do Body Waxing, Hair coloring, Pedicures, Manicures and Nail enhancements. I have a great bunch of professionals to work with.

Cons:
Having to keep up on all the repairs, bills, complaints and the police phone calls at 3 am in the morning telling me someone broke into the salon.:irked:
No vacation pay.
Paying my own taxes.
Being a landlord to 7 women..(if you know what I mean):lol:

Pros: Work the hours I want to work. Charge what I want to charge. Vacation when I want to vacation. I am my own boss.

sheesh..I think the cons out weigh the pros....what is wrong with this picture.:confused:
to put it into other words...Being a "salon owner" is just a glorified title. It is 100% more work than being self employed by yourself.

i am currently employed. i am looking to go mobile next year though as a think i could earn more money that way. it's interesting to see that mobile is the most popular category!

:)Im both mobile and home based but i prefer the latter cos i hate lumping a load of gear around in and out my car. Hopefully later in the year I hope to be the owner of a new salon if things go according to plan :)

I rent a room at a chiropody clinic and I rent the upstairs floor in a hairdressers.

I started in nails in 2004 when I moved back home to Montrose from London and could not find anyone to do my nails. Im still the only Liquid & Powder technician for miles!

I rented space in 3 different locations and always had to leave through no fault of my own, so this year my hubby said enough is enough and gave me the money to open my own nail boutique in November 2007.

Cons are the usual stuff, bills, paperwork, worry etc.

There are lots of pros though,
  • doing a job I enjoy in surroundings I love, are hygienic to MY standards, using products I love etc etc.
  • the flexibility to provide great customer service. i.e can do an appointment at midnight if I see fit!
  • and can take hols/time off when I need to.
Could go on but be here all day :eek:

Good poll! Isn't it interesting most of the respondents work for themselves-I don't think many employed therapists/technicians have the same passion for their work :?:

Latest posts

Back