Who are you in the salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you guys do in the salon

• Nothing, I deliver milk for a living

Votes: 19 4.4%
  • I am a booth renter

Votes: 65 15.2%
  • I am an employee in a salon

Votes: 36 8.4%
  • I am a salon owner

Votes: 133 31.0%
  • I am mobile

Votes: 176 41.0%

• Total voters

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Wanted to get the low down on you guys in the salon.
  • Are you a booth renter, employee, or salon owner
  • How long have you been renting,employed, or owning?
  • What do feel the pros/cons are of renting, working for a salon, or owning a salon?

Just being my curious self

I often ask that question myself lol :rofl:

Perhaps you could add another category to your poll. I work from home and dont really fall into any of your above categories. I am not mobile as I dont go to anyone elses home. I suppose I am a salon owner as I own the house I work from :) .

I have been doing this now for about 3 years. I like working from home as I get all the income without having to pay huge overheads if I am not busy. I also have control over being able to do the best job I can without being pushed into doing it by the clock. I do think it is preferrable to pay a "reasonable" commission in a salon situation as it is fairer on this business which is quite up and down. If you are renting then you have to pay even if you have no clients.

I think it is within everyone to have the hankering after running their own business.

Well I suppose I am a space renter. I rent a space in two Tanning Shops in the City and pay a % of my takings as rent. I buy my own stock and all retail profits are mine to keep. :o The hiring and firing of Nail Techs is down to me, I have control..........if darling daughter lets me :D

I like it this way because, if I dont earn I dont pay, but also this way the shop advertises and promotes my business for me, as every £ for me is a %£ for them.

I have been there for 8 years now and it works out just fine. We also have links to each other on our websites and work together on promotions : :idea:
for example 1 hour Tanning Course might inlcude one free Manicure. I get paid for the manicure minus the comission. Or one Full Set of Extensions will get ?minutes in the Tanning Booth. We also have a beautician in the shop and the same sort of deals apply there to, so there is always something new happening. But never to cheap or under valued.

The key in all of this is, we work together as a team and have one goal. A happy client is a returning client.
So this is my life .............and I love it 8)

But as always in real life, sometimes there are problems, but hey as they say tomorrow is another day!!!

Love Ruth ;)

I dont deliver milk.....but I do pack bread! haha! I work in a bakery...well not for much longer as I have go to leave due to I have been very ill because of a reaction with yeast!

However I do work from home doing nails, well nail art and foot and hand care. I have had several people come...only I dont charge them...because Im getting practise out of it...which I see as the payment :)

xx layla xx

naturalnails said:
Perhaps you could add another category to your poll. I work from home and dont really fall into any of your above categories.
I suppose I am a salon owner as I own the house I work from :)

He he..I'm with you Naturalnails! I do work from home as well. I have a proffesional set up and I charge the same as salons.
I don't think "no overhead" should mean lower prices. My clients get the same quality work as in very good salons.
I think working from home we don't have as much exposure as salons...it takes longer to build clientelle...and I don't retail much....
So afterall we break even. :)

I do love the freedome working from home. i LOVE it :D

I rent my space and love it! I have a spacious room with freedom to do as I wish. I am the only nail tech so I don't have to worry about another one "borrowing" from me. The owners of the shop bend over backwards to make sure I have what I need. I would not have it any other way. Booth renting works for me! ;)

In our little town there is one salon. I rent space in this salon and am the only nail tech. I have read about confusion over what really is space rental and what isn't. I think my situation has no grey lines. I am totally seperate from the hairdresser/owner. I keep my own hours, appointment book, buy all my own supplies and equipment, set my own prices..you get the pic. I am 'Christie's Nails' at 'Ocean View Hair Salon'.

One day the hairdresser/owner will want to retire or move away and at that time I am sure I will take over the salon and then have a REALLY COOL PEDI SET UP! Can't wait for that!

Hi all

I fall into the same category as Anna and Fiona as I have my own room within my lovely little (or not so little!) house. My very able hubbie (Damon) did an amazing transformation on it over the Xmas break changing it from a very dull uninspiring stock room into a very inviting and calming little studio. I have to say that I did add my little tweaks here and there but it's lovely!!

I have to say that although I enjoy the freedom of working from home, especially with the children, sometimes it would be nice to have someone elses opinion/observations. The other thing is that possibly my times would get better due to outside pressure..........who knows!

Adele

The Nail Geek said:
Wanted to get the low down on you guys in the salon.
  • Are you a booth renter, employee, or salon owner
I am a nail salon owner with a jewelry & handbag boutique
  • How long have you been renting,employed, or owning?
I have owned my salon since August of 2002. Well, I rent the building and share the rent with a hairdresser, but I own the nail salon, you know the deal....;o)
  • What do feel the pros/cons are of renting, working for a salon, or owning a salon?
When you rent it is nice if you can find a salon with a lot of hairdressers, be the only tech, take in all the money yourself (make more money in this case than employee), come and go as you please, be your own boss, and probably get a modest amount of respect from others around you, but do not have the entire headache of owning, it is just a mild headache at times. But in most cases you still don't have total control over your retail and your environment. You can only grow so much in a rental space and that's that.

When you are an employee and a nail tech, unless you are in the right salon, you will be looked at as the wicked step sister in most cases. Stuck in the back corner, the salon owners take advantage of you money wise, the hairdressers don't know you exist, you start popping anti-depressants just to make yourself go to work! I am just kiddding, but this was my experience with some salons.

When you own the salon, you control your environment, there are no wicked stepsisters, the sky is the limit where money is concerned, you can make or break yourself. You can do nails 24 hours a day 7 days a week or just offer a manicure with a martini on occasion. lol! You do have more overhead and sometimes a bigger headache along with it, but to me it is all well worth the money and having "my space" and the fact that I am in control. Yes, I am a control freak!

Tootles!

Leigh Ann

Just being my curious self

I fall into a couple of categories - salon owner & mobile.

I own a home based salon where I work part time. I also conduct visits fortnightly to two little towns about 1.5 hrs from Dubbo. Thus the mobile bit. I work from a hairdressing salon when I visit these towns.

I like the convenience of working from home. If I have a 15 minute break I can do the washing, have something to eat, etc. My salon is in a separate room and my clients understand it is a business. They know my hours and have never dropped in without an appointment.

I have worked in 2 salons before but my fussiness made me leave - I set very high standards and it frustrates me when others don't follow :D

I have a friend who owns the biggest hair salon in town and she wants me to work for her - booth rent. I would get a lot of business but it just wouldn't be as private, relaxed and personal as it is at home, and that's what my clients enjoy.

:silly: I know this poll is a couple of weeks old but I'm still reponding anyway.

As with a few others, I too work from home. I am also new to this career. I find having two small children (a boy 3 and a girl 5) and a husband with two full time jobs that it is much easier to do this. I don't have the perfect set up though. I work in my dinning room. I of course have EVERYTHING "baby proofed". I hope to soon have my own space in the house, but until then....

I have been asked to make home visits for a few older women who for medical reasons can't leave their homes. I have yet to put this in place but I will start soon. I will be charging mileage and a couple extra dollars for this service. I would appreciate any and all suggestions and pros/cons to this service.

I realize this is not the perfect set up but so far it is working for my family and business.

Hi, I am just starting out and work from home. I have -I'm ahamed to say got so caught up in turning my dining-room into my salon-room -that I've spent more time on that than I have doing nails :oops: .I've had new stripped floorboards put in, a leather sofa in case clients arrive with company,and am waiting for my stripped pine storage to arrive.I even had bigger french doors put in to give extra light, as well as little side windows for ventilation (when I move on to acrylic).So caught up was I that it didnt register that the system I use now is cured by UV light and of course the room is now flooded with natural light :rolleyes: Oh well! guess I'll have to invest in some blinds now too ..lol

Hi! I too am a booth renter. It is awesome. I have my own room. I can decorate it any way I choose. I set my own hrs. come and go as I please. It is a small salon with me, and 3 other girls. 1 is a hair dresser, 1 is a massage therapist, and the owner is a nail tech as well, but she has a full book, and isn't taking any new clients at all, so, I get all the new ones that call or come in, plus I offer nail art, and so if any of her clientele want art, then they can come to me for just the art. It's a great set up, and we all get a long beautifully! I am so excited about working in this salon! It is fabulous, and I must add that the clientele are definately "the cadillac" clientele!!!! It's awesome!!! Works for me!!!! :D

Hi! I too am a booth renter. It is awesome. I have my own room. I can decorate it any way I choose. I set my own hrs. come and go as I please. It is a small salon with me, and 3 other girls. 1 is a hair dresser, 1 is a massage therapist, and the owner is a nail tech as well, but she has a full book, and isn't taking any new clients at all, so, I get all the new ones that call or come in, plus I offer nail art, and so if any of her clientele want art, then they can come to me for just the art. It's a great set up, and we all get a long beautifully! I am so excited about working in this salon! It is fabulous, and I must add that the clientele are definately "the cadillac" clientele!!!! It's awesome!!! Works for me!!!! :D

I am also a booth renter. I have worked as an Employee & a Booth Renter & I much prefer the Booth Renter life. It's so much more you! You make it want you want & it can reflect the best of everything. I am in a large Day Spa and my room has a front accesss to spa door and an outside exit door. I love this as it makes me be able to slip in quietly if I'm running a minute behind, also so simple to work late. Spa gets locked down all except my room & washroom areas so it leaves me a quick clean up & shut down. Enjoy being a Booth Renter!

newly qualified tech Dec 2002.salon owner is a nail tech the others are beauticians so i am the only other nail tech.finding it very difficult as she has 10 years experience and i have zero experience compared to her. I find it hard as im not advertised as a new tech, clients expect me to be as quick as her and as good. And im not!! :shock: .i want to do really good nails i hate going to work and my confidance is rapidly going. :( .also nippers they are damaging to the nail bed :?: this is what i was constantly told at college .now i am being told to use them when doing maintence, :x .also i cant get the dam fill lines to disappear when infilling and they show through the new product .how are u suposed to get the line to go when it keeps lifting.i have tried to file into the acrylic that is not lifting to make it flick off .Does that make sense? i no the file needs to be flat on the product .Or does it? how long should an infill take?it take 2 hours at the moment and still ends up loking evil.i have read the bit on maintence on this site but am getting stressed :frust: :rofl: i am not getting much help at work.sorry about any spelling mistakes cant find a spell check

Anna from Toronto said:
naturalnails said:
Perhaps you could add another category to your poll. I work from home and dont really fall into any of your above categories.
I suppose I am a salon owner as I own the house I work from :)

He he..I'm with you Naturalnails! I do work from home as well. I have a proffesional set up and I charge the same as salons.
I don't think "no overhead" should mean lower prices. My clients get the same quality work as in very good salons.
I think working from home we don't have as much exposure as salons...it takes longer to build clientelle...and I don't retail much....
So afterall we break even. :

I do love the freedome working from home. i LOVE it :D

I also work from home, I only have a small client base and hope to start renting a space soon. I am a beauty therapist/Nail tec and once my son told his teacher I have clients in the bedroom :rofl: !!!!!!!! Amanda[/list]

Since this was buried on page 4 and we have had lots o new users that have registered in the past few weeks... I thought I would *bump* this post back up toward the top.

BTW: Who the hell (besides me) has selected "I deliver Milk"???

Toooodles

BTW: Who the hell (besides me) has selected "I deliver Milk"???

LoLoLoLoLoL!

Probably me! lol ;-)

xxlaylaxx

The Nail Geek said:
BTW: Who the hell (besides me) has selected "I deliver Milk"???Toooodles

Sorry Babe - I did - couldn't help myself :rofl:

Latest posts

Back