Who does the best waxing courses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you feel passionate enough about something then you'll strive to be good at it.

To back my argument for short courses, I'll give this example:
How many of the competition winner nail techs trained on short courses, for example Creative, Ezflow etc etc, and how many trained at college? My guess is that the answer will be the former and not the latter.

I think that a big problem with short courses is that they spend too much time on the theory and not enough on the practical. The theory should be learnt at home, with a written test on the course (to make sure they've learnt the theory). After all, the tutor usually just reads from the papers anyway so it's a waste of course time (and drives me nuts).

i agree, its about what suits, we must all try to remember that we all learn differently and at different paces. I disagree with the statement that the best nail techs in the world never went to college and did an nvq or btec or itec or whatever, I think that there is a real mix of talent in our industry made up of people who attended short courses, long courses, full time, part time, generic, conversion and hell even self taught!
Hindsite is a wonderful thing, and am sure we have all experienced rubbish tutoring, excellent tutoring, value for money, and total rip-offs, but i really think that learning does not stop on the day you get your certificate through the post, learning should be an ongoing process that never stops, and we should be supporting each other as professionals. cream always rises to the top!

You cannot learn to wax in just one day. Please try to find a course where you can learn part-time. It can be very dangerous if you are not taught properly which cannot happen in just one day.

Trish :hug:

I disagree with the statement that the best nail techs in the world never went to college and did an nvq or btec or itec or whatever, !
Sorry to correct you but I didn't say that they never went to college.

I agree that waxing cannot be taught in a day. That's why I'll be mentoring qualified waxers so that I can spend all of the time watching them and teaching them my tecniques and tricks. My point is that just getting a qualification doesn't make you good at something.......it's the ongoing learning and practise.

" we know that the best techs in the world don't have an NVQ in nail technology, or been to college for two years "

sorry the brow queen i was referring to this post, not yours. I just think that the beauty industry has a real mix of talent from people who have varied backgrounds, and there there is no 'one size fits all' approach when it comes to learning, sorry again i was not intending to upset anybody, its just my opinion that everyone learns differently and i do not think its right to dismiss short courses, long courses, one day, 2 year or whatever, because that course may suit someone just fine!

OK - I am going to get told off here :lol:
But I have been waxed since the age of 10...... so feel I have enough experience, as a client, to comment.

Everyone who waxed me up until I trained in waxing was college trained.... NVQs on the wall etc etc.

I have had the skin removed from the back of my arm, my shin, under my arm, bikini (and worse!)......
half of my eyebrow removed, which didn't grow back properly and I have just had tatooed back on..... I could go on and on.

These were all different therapist btw in different areas of the country.

I did a one day course with Anne Swain in Milton Keynes. With NO previous experience

I have NEVER burnt or removed skin etc from any of my clients.
Infact I have had many comments on how good I am compared to other therapists they have been to.... Which is probably due to the fact that I've had nearly 20yrs of learning - what not to do :lol:

After I trained, I found it tricky to wax my own armpits.
So one day decided I would go to a local therapist - who left me with brown grazes under my arms where she had removed skin.... :irked:

Now my husband does them for me - and He learnt as we went along!!
The other day he helped me with my 'v. intimate' waxing (which I have had twice before - bad experiences!)...... He did a perfect job - I hardly even felt it!... and again - he learnt as we went along.

Therefore I'm all for the short course.
I am the type of person who can't stand drawn out learning.... I get bored (I'm a Gemini!)
I like to learn learn learn....... tell me what I need to know, show me what I have to do.... I will make sure I get it right.
I take pride in doing something the right way.

OK short-course learning won't suit everyone - some people need to be spoon fed information for it to sink in..... but others don't.

Any therapist who blames short courses for any bad rep in the waxing industry is WRONG!!!

BAD WAXERS are the cause of bad reputation in the industry..... the attitude of - I went to college for two years, I know what I'm doing is B.S - I have the scars to prove it!!

I wouldn't care if my therapist had learned in 1 day or 600 days!!... I just want to be waxed without injury!!

I can see everyones point of view here which I realise doesn't help the original poster, so I thought I'd just share my experience.:)

I too have found it difficult to fit training around family and work commitments.

The original course I did was Swedish massage level 3 at college (1 evening a week for a year), this was a really good course and I feel it set me in good stead for everything else I have trained for.

I then did Indian head massage and Hopi ear candling on short one day courses which I had to pass the theory course work before I could do the practicle sessions.

Back to college for 18 weeks (1 evening a week), which was cr** to be honest, this was for waxing. We were just unfortunate that the tutor wasn't the best and its taken me along time to become confident and good ( just about there now!)

I then did facials and manicure/pedicures at the same place as Indian Head Massage and ear candling, which again was Ok.

I'm soon doing No hands massage over 3 days, but this just will be an extension to my massage.

So I found that the first college course was the best training. Although the others all got me trained I probably wouldn't of been confident to do the other treatments without doing the Swedish massage. The Anatomy and Physiology has been relevant to all the other courses and it also taught me what is expected of me in a salon environment and of course most of the treatments have a bit of massage incorporated in them.

i done a vtct college waxing course that was 18 weeks long

there was a lot to learn! so i don't think one day is enought time to learn and be confident

many people in my class still weren't confident to perform waxing even after the 18 weeks course

but then again we all learn differently

actually, it could have been a two day course - not sure Lol.
Either way it doesn't really matter.

" we know that the best techs in the world don't have an NVQ in nail technology, or been to college for two years "

sorry the brow queen i was referring to this post, not yours. I just think that the beauty industry has a real mix of talent from people who have varied backgrounds, and there there is no 'one size fits all' approach when it comes to learning, sorry again i was not intending to upset anybody, its just my opinion that everyone learns differently and i do not think its right to dismiss short courses, long courses, one day, 2 year or whatever, because that course may suit someone just fine!
No problem.........thought I was going mad (again) :lol:. x

Firstly to answer your question Ellisons in Coventry are starting two day (possibly even three day courses) in the new year and i think you get assessments in between.

I personally am not a fan of short courses although I have only done one and that was eyelash perming and although the course was helpful where is the practice ?! You do one client on the day then you are back into the salon having to do people for free (or next to nothing) to get the practice in and i do not agree with charging full price when you've done the treatment only ONCE. So you are not charging for your time or the product really and as we all know practice makes perfect, no doubt there are some people that can pick a treatment/skill instantly and wahaay for them but i can't !

Thats why I love college you get to work on loads of different people under supervision, help is there when needed, you don't have to pay for the products, all the theory is covered in class etc etc,

If I could of done the eyelash perming at college then I damn well would of because id of got more training thats for sure.

I think we've all done some dodgy waxing before, when i was at college i nearly ripped the tutors arm of never mind the hair ! Anyone that hasn't well they must be perfection as i have never met a therapist that hasn't had some mishap along the way...

Anyway my point is i prefer college because of the amount of practice you get it is just not possible on a one day course and i still can't understand why people do them if this is going to be there future career ?!

Hi Gelly,I am quite shocked that all the therapists you have ever been to went to college and burnt you,how do you know they were ALL NVQ qualified and went to college?Not every salon displays all their certificates,in fact we dont display ours,but they are available to see if anyone wishes to view them.

Burning someone isn't down to being NVQ,one day,or any other type of training,anyone can burn someone,it's part and parcel of the learning process,not always but quite often.

You may NOT have ever burnt anyone YET but how long have you been waxing for?do you wax in a busy salon doing countless waxing treatments a day?I do,I do more waxing than any other treatment.

I am sorry but I find your reply a tad narrow minded and slightly bizarre in the fact, that you have only EVER been burnt by college trained therapists.Did you ask every single therapist if they were college trained?

Also I went to college for 2 yrs and I do know what I'm doing thankyou very much.I dont just say it because I went to college for 2 yrs I say it because I trained damned hard,revising for hour upon hour because I was dedicated to my profession and wanted to be good and better,I didn't want to take the easier route.

Also I went to college for 2 yrs and I do know what I'm doing thankyou very much.I dont just say it because I went to college for 2 yrs I say it because I trained damned hard,revising for hour upon hour because I was dedicated to my profession and wanted to be good and better,I didn't want to take the easier route.

I take it that this doesn't apply to your Creative training then? Sorry but I get tired of being told that short courses are an easy route ... they are just a different route for people who are able to learn quickly and not needing constant supervision. I revised for my qualifications and I still read extensively, it doesn't make me any less a therapist.

But I have been waxed since the age of 10...... so feel I have enough experience, as a client, to comment.

Everyone who waxed me up until I trained in waxing was college trained.... NVQs on the wall etc etc.

I have had the skin removed from the back of my arm, my shin, under my arm, bikini (and worse!)......
half of my eyebrow removed, which didn't grow back properly and I have just had tatooed back on..... I could go on and on.

I did a one day course with Anne Swain in Milton Keynes. With NO previous experience

Infact I have had many comments on how good I am compared to other therapists they have been to.... Which is probably due to the fact that I've had nearly 20yrs of learning - what not to do :lol:

So one day decided I would go to a local therapist - who left me with brown grazes under my arms where she had removed skin.... :irked:

The other day he helped me with my 'v. intimate' waxing (which I have had twice before - bad experiences!)...... He did a perfect job - I hardly even felt it!... and again - he learnt as we went along.

I am the type of person who can't stand drawn out learning.... I get bored (I'm a Gemini!)
I like to learn learn learn....... tell me what I need to know, show me what I have to do.... I will make sure I get it right.

OK short-course learning won't suit everyone - some people need to be spoon fed information for it to sink in..... but others don't.

Any therapist who blames short courses for any bad rep in the waxing industry is WRONG!!!

BAD WAXERS are the cause of bad reputation in the industry..... the attitude of - I went to college for two years, I know what I'm doing is B.S - I have the scars to prove it!!

I wouldn't care if my therapist had learned in 1 day or 600 days!!... I just want to be waxed without injury!!

Blimey talk about bad luck !!!

I take it that this doesn't apply to your Creative training then? Sorry but I get tired of being told that short courses are an easy route ... they are just a different route for people who are able to learn quickly and not needing constant supervision. I revised for my qualifications and I still read extensively, it doesn't make me any less a therapist.

There is a difference between short courses with continued and in depth support and a day ,which generally means 10 till 4, at a wholesalers.

There is a difference between short courses with continued and in depth support and a day ,which generally means 10 till 4, at a wholesalers.

My facials course was one day, on a one to one. I had to work hard afterwards and do loads of reading before I took my assessment... and I am so proud when after every facial I do my clients say it is the best they have ever had. It's because I am dedicated, not because I sat in a classroom for 2 years ... the two can go together (dedication and 2 years of training), but they really don't have to. People really should stop judging other people's learning abilities by their own needs. We are all different. That's what makes life interesting. In fact all my courses have been short intense courses - the only long course I took was level 2 in Cossie Makeup and it was CRAP!

We all have to pass a driving test ... but boy there are some damned crap drivers out there ... and we all took different amount of lessons to get there. We are different, accept it and move on.

... and in the immortal words of Forrest Gump - that's all I have to say about that.

Well firstly Sassy I was referring to 1,2 and 3 day courses and you in fact didn' do any of these did you?I didn't say you were any less a therapist did I?.I am saying that the 1,2 and 3 day courses are an easier route to going to college which IMO are.

I have done short courses in my opinion they are an easier route,i.e time aspect etc,I had to re do all the courses,found them a waste of money because....guess what????I wasn't confident.(I said easier not EASY)

As for my Creative course I did that at college over a year it wasn't a short course

Hi Gelly,I am quite shocked that all the therapists you have ever been to went to college and burnt you,how do you know they were ALL NVQ qualified and went to college?Not every salon displays all their certificates,in fact we dont display ours,but they are available to see if anyone wishes to view them.

Burning someone isn't down to being NVQ,one day,or any other type of training,anyone can burn someone,it's part and parcel of the learning process,not always but quite often.

You may NOT have ever burnt anyone YET but how long have you been waxing for?do you wax in a busy salon doing countless waxing treatments a day?I do,I do more waxing than any other treatment.

I am sorry but I find your reply a tad narrow minded and slightly bizarre in the fact, that you have only EVER been burnt by college trained therapists.Did you ask every single therapist if they were college trained?

Hi Babs
I'm a little concerned that you have taken my post personally and want to make it clear that what I said wasn't directed at ANY geek - I love you all :hug:

In answer to your post, I know that they were college/NVQ qualified because they did display their certificates.... which was actually why I chose to go to them in the first place.

I am in no way suggesting that they made mistakes BECAUSE they were NVQ trained.... and I didn't say that every therapist I visited burnt me.... but that those who did, were (obviously).

I'm not daft enough to think that I am not likely to make a mistake in the future and am grateful that so far, I haven't. We're all human and capable of screwing up.

I may have taken a shorter route - but it wasn't easy! Because I too studied hard and practised hard because I wanted to be as good as the good waxers, whos work I have had the pleasure of experiencing.
And next year I will do more training, because for me, good isn't good enough!!

Of course you know what you are doing and I have no doubt that you do it very very well. But I don't feel that that is due to you going to college - but because you are a true professional, who takes pride in doing things right.

Not everyone has the same drive and commitment to their craft.

There ARE many bad waxers in the industry, just as there are bad nail techs, plumbers, politicians etc.
My point was that doing an NVQ will not automatically make you good at waxing. And doing a short course doesn't mean you won't be.

Pride in doing things right, comes from inside the individual, not an NVQ.

hey guys lets just chill a little, season of goodwill and all that!

I think we can all agree that some courses suit some people some of the time. as i said earlier, there is no one size fits all policy when it comes to learning and education

Hi Babs
There ARE many bad waxers in the industry, just as there are bad nail techs, plumbers, politicians etc.

You mean there's a good polictian ... which one was that then? :lol::lol::lol::Grope:

Latest posts

Back