Who does the best waxing courses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Babs
I'm a little concerned that you have taken my post personally and want to make it clear that what I said wasn't directed at ANY geek - I love you all :hug:

In answer to your post, I know that they were college/NVQ qualified because they did display their certificates.... which was actually why I chose to go to them in the first place.

I am in no way suggesting that they made mistakes BECAUSE they were NVQ trained.... and I didn't say that every therapist I visited burnt me.... but that those who did, were (obviously).

I'm not daft enough to think that I am not likely to make a mistake in the future and am grateful that so far, I haven't. We're all human and capable of screwing up.

I may have taken a shorter route - but it wasn't easy! Because I too studied hard and practised hard because I wanted to be as good as the good waxers, whos work I have had the pleasure of experiencing.
And next year I will do more training, because for me, good isn't good enough!!

Of course you know what you are doing and I have no doubt that you do it very very well. But I don't feel that that is due to you going to college - but because you are a true professional, who takes pride in doing things right.

Not everyone has the same drive and commitment to their craft.

There ARE many bad waxers in the industry, just as there are bad nail techs, plumbers, politicians etc.
My point was that doing an NVQ will not automatically make you good at waxing. And doing a short course doesn't mean you won't be.

Pride in doing things right, comes from inside the individual, not an NVQ.

Sorry Lauri,it's too easy to take things personally on here:eek:

Of course Im not stupid enough to think for one minute that doing an NVQ at college automaically means you will be a good therapist,maybe I didn't explain myself properly.:confused:

We can go round and round in circles,we are all entitled to our points of view and all I was actually saying is that at the end of the day you cant learn(impossible cause there arent' enough hours)in one day what you can in a year.

I didn't say EASY route I said EASIER,which in my opinion it is.Given the fact I couldn't do a full time job due to college hours,all the revision,the constant assessments,compare that to a 1 day course and well...it's easier.

Ive seen it from both sides of the coin ,I've done 3 short courses and didn't like any of them,I found it didn't cover nearly enough A&P or hands on practice.

Anyway,enough said from me.:hug:

Sodabubble,we are chilled thankyou,this is just a healthy debate nothing more.

See what you've bloody started Susie H?? Troublemaker!! Wish we hadn't had that discussion on way to Leeds now lmao!!!

Geeks are Great hehe!!! mad!! but Great

xxx

It's simple

If you are confident in your abilities then go for a recognised "short course" if you feel you need more practice then go for the "college course"

I have taken short courses for all the treatments I carry out HOWEVER, if I were to decide to permanent makeup or the like then it would be college!

I also have been burnt and left with bruising by someone who had trained at college! but I also realise that it could have been quite easily been by someone who had undertaken a short course!

Sass - your analogy with driving was brilliant - I know someone who passed there test - was rubbish at driving so gave up and then 20 years later took a load of lessons to get her back up to speed (pardon the pun :lol:) but she could have leagally gone straight out on the road as she held a valid driving license!

It is all about taking responsibility and recognising what you need to do to reach your end goal and be the best that you can!

BTW - I never realised that Creative did college courses - I was under the impression it was companies like Salon System etc????

Susie - sorry I haven't helped with your question, but wish you all the best in finding the right course for you :hug:

what a debate this has turned into:)

It is horses for courses,and what suits you....i still think though,learning a facial course in one day,and courses such like are exploiting the industry,if someone has no clue about skin care,is not passionate about the proffession,and isnt intending on doing facials,or waxing,etc day in day out.

It all comes doen,to your ability,and what course you are looking for.

We can go round and round in circles,we are all entitled to our points of view and all I was actually saying is that at the end of the day you cant learn(impossible cause there arent' enough hours)in one day what you can in a year.
Like it has been said time and time before, different people have different ways and speeds of learning. I think it all depends on what you do with what you have been taught and how you put it into practice. If you spent a year in college doing nails for example, it doesn't make you any more knowlegeable than the technician that has done a foundation course (5 days) with a reputable training company. I would infact say that the technician will have more knowledge as they are banging out set after set and learning with each client that sits at their desk than the college student who will only get maybe a few sets a week.
I didn't say EASY route I said EASIER,which in my opinion it is.Given the fact I couldn't do a full time job due to college hours,all the revision,the constant assessments,compare that to a 1 day course and well...it's easier.

Its not neccessarily the easier route, if the correct information is given on A+P and H+S then it is down to the therapist to go away and learn it which they should if they are passionate about what they do and want to keep their client base. You could spend all year with your head in a book but there is no experience like hands on experience. If more time was spent on practical experience to cover every eventuality then there would be alot less bad experiences for people who have waxing and the theory should be something you work on in your own time and then tested on the final day before obtaining a qualification.

My belief is that it is a shame that beauty therapy has been reduced to day courses.
I guess i am very old school. I was blessed with being taught at one of the only colleges that did beauty therapy in the country at the time.
There were 14 girls from all over the country. We all had to have 4 gcses at a to c to get on the course including english and a science.So it wasnt something someone picked just because they couldnt do anything else it was an actual career choice.
Our tutors were strict as hell and we didnt have the joy of being assessed over and over until we got it right we had an exam and one go at it if we failed one thing we failed the whole thing we were also there from 9 till 3.30 everyday of the week for 2 years.
I did cosmetic science,corrective exercise,nutrition,anatomy and physiology to the same degree as an srn nurse,o level human biology and waxed everyday,facials everyday,massage everyday watched under intense scrutiny.Clients from outside 3 times a week.

This was a city and guilds and ihbc course i was only allowed to do the ihbc exam because i started the course at 17 and not 18 but i was taught exactly the same.

I have friends who are now tutors teaching nvq who did the same course as me at the same college and teach at the same college now and we all know the standards and expectations have dropped dramatically over the years.

To be honest most of the girls taken on at college never even go onto work in the beauty industry at all.I will never agree that day courses for people with no knowledge at all are acceptable because its just standards dropping further and further.
How many jobs are out there that certificate you to work in a day or so.Its a mockery and for every one that is good at waxing in a day there are loads that are not.There surely has to be some common sense and standards.

I used to be proud to say i was a beauty therapist i now feel like im being judged as thick and incapable of doing anything else, because at the end of the day you can be Vicky Pollard and open a salon in a day.

I will never agree that day courses for people with no knowledge at all are acceptable because its just standards dropping further and further.
How many jobs are out there that certificate you to work in a day or so.
Its a mockery and for every one that is good at waxing in a day there are loads that are not.There surely has to be some common sense and standards.

I used to be proud to say i was a beauty therapist i now feel like im being judged as thick and incapable of doing anything else, because at the end of the day you can be Vicky Pollard and open a salon in a day.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this I think peeps.... coz I for one can't see this going anywhere.

For me, the easy route would have been to go to college, for free, straight from school - but life didn't deal me the cards I needed to go that route.

I waited years for the opportunity to train to be something I have wanted to be all of my life. I found a reputable course with a bloody good teacher, dug deep in my pocket and worked my butt off to be extra good at it.

To say that
'for every one that is good at waxing in a day there are loads that are not'
is a pointless statement.
Because
For every one who is good a waxing in a year, there are loads that are not - and that's a fact.

Which ever side of the coin you have trained on, there are going to be those who need to improve more than others.

It is not down to the duration of the course taken.
It's down to the individual, to assess their personal skill - not just to 'be qualified'....... to take responsibility of themselves and make those improvements, by getting more training BEFORE regularly 'skinning' their clients!

'because at the end of the day you can be Vicky Pollard and open a salon in a day'
I'm sorry guys, but this is just snobbery.
It reminds me of Paul Potts - the Royal Variety / Britains Got Tallent winner... He had no formal training to sing or perform, just a raw passion for opera.... he stepped on stage and made half of the country cry and went on to sell millions and millions of albums around the world.....

BUT the operatic world think he is a mockery to their art! Why?
Because they are bloody snobs, who can't deal with the fact some people - just can.... especially not a poor, short, fat, buck toothed man with a crappy name! Oh, the shame of it!!

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this I think peeps.... coz I for one can't see this going anywhere.

For me, the easy route would have been to go to college, for free, straight from school - but life didn't deal me the cards I needed to go that route.

I waited years for the opportunity to train to be something I have wanted to be all of my life. I found a reputable course with a bloody good teacher, dug deep in my pocket and worked my butt off to be extra good at it.

To say that
'for every one that is good at waxing in a day there are loads that are not'
is a pointless statement.
Because
For every one who is good a waxing in a year, there are loads that are not - and that's a fact.

Which ever side of the coin you have trained on, there are going to be those who need to improve more than others.

It's down to the individual, to assess their personal skill - not just to 'be qualified'....... to take responsibility of themselves and make those improvements, by getting more training BEFORE regularly 'skinning' their clients!

'because at the end of the day you can be Vicky Pollard and open a salon in a day'
I'm sorry guys, but this is just snobbery.
It reminds me of Paul Potts - the Royal Variety / Britains Got Tallent winner... He had no formal training to sing or perform, just a raw passion for opera.... he stepped on stage and made half of the country cry and went on to sell millions and millions of albums around the world.....

BUT the operatic world think he is a mockery to their art! Why?
Because they are bloody snobs, who can't deal with the fact some people - just can.... especially not a poor, short, fat, buck toothed man with a crappy name! Oh, the shame of it!!

PMSL! But seriously, very well put!! I did a one day course at the Carlton Institute but I think I'm Miss Waxtastic :lol::lol::lol:

I wasn't being sarky by the way :) I am waxtastic!

!
Hoo bloody ray !!! :hug:

My belief is that it is a shame that beauty therapy has been reduced to day courses.
I guess i am very old school. I was blessed with being taught at one of the only colleges that did beauty therapy in the country at the time.
There were 14 girls from all over the country. We all had to have 4 gcses at a to c to get on the course including english and a science.So it wasnt something someone picked just because they couldnt do anything else it was an actual career choice.
Our tutors were strict as hell and we didnt have the joy of being assessed over and over until we got it right we had an exam and one go at it if we failed one thing we failed the whole thing we were also there from 9 till 3.30 everyday of the week for 2 years.
I did cosmetic science,corrective exercise,nutrition,anatomy and physiology to the same degree as an srn nurse,o level human biology and waxed everyday,facials everyday,massage everyday watched under intense scrutiny.Clients from outside 3 times a week.

This was a city and guilds and ihbc course i was only allowed to do the ihbc exam because i started the course at 17 and not 18 but i was taught exactly the same.

I have friends who are now tutors teaching nvq who did the same course as me at the same college and teach at the same college now and we all know the standards and expectations have dropped dramatically over the years.

To be honest most of the girls taken on at college never even go onto work in the beauty industry at all.I will never agree that day courses for people with no knowledge at all are acceptable because its just standards dropping further and further.
How many jobs are out there that certificate you to work in a day or so.Its a mockery and for every one that is good at waxing in a day there are loads that are not.There surely has to be some common sense and standards.

Got to agree with you on this one.

One thing I have also noticed is that very few salons if any actually employ beauty therapists with a variety of one day courses most salons require level 3 minimum. So I would guess that any geek wanting to work for themselves is fine to do one day courses but if you want to work in a salon (which imo is an absolute must for any therapist) you need an nvq or equivalant.

Got to agree with you on this one.

One thing I have also noticed is that very few salons if any actually employ beauty therapists with a variety of one day courses most salons require level 3 minimum. So I would guess that any geek wanting to work for themselves is fine to do one day courses but if you want to work in a salon (which imo is an absolute must for any therapist) you need an nvq or equivalant.

Why so?

And why would I want to work for someone else for the minimum wage, or not much more, when I have lots of perfectly happy customers, happy to be waxed by me at my home :)

I've just done mother and daughter, 2 x half leg, 2 x eye brow and 1 x underarm for £53, in less than one hour. (In fact I've been waxing pretty much all day today.)

I'm not trying to start an argument I just think you can be a good therapist without working in a salon.

Why so?

And why would I want to work for someone else for the minimum wage, or not much more, when I have lots of perfectly happy customers, happy to be waxed by me at my home :)

I've just done mother and daughter, 2 x half leg, 2 x eye brow and 1 x underarm for £53, in less than one hour. (In fact I've been waxing pretty much all day today.)

I'm not trying to start an argument I just think you can be a good therapist without working in a salon.

So do I Zoe
The fact that my waxing clients were previously visiting salons - but have decided they prefer to be waxed by me, goes to show that it is possible.

I am saying nothing more on this thread other than how anyone can think its ok to do a ONE day course in anything to do with beauty therapy and be able to be proficient to work and get paid and call themselves a beauty therapist is beyond me.
Comparing opera singers to people working on others where you can actually do harm is just ridiculous.
All i can add is if i were to write a similar thread in the nail geek section that i intended to do a one day course at a wholesalers and start working doing extensions on the general public with no prior knowledge i would have been shot down.Just goes to show how low the role of a beauty therapist as a career has come ..i find it very sad.
I also think its important to work in a salon before you go out on your own if you have never done it you would be surprised at how much you learn but then we have salon geek dont we.

I am saying nothing more on this thread other than how anyone can think its ok to do a ONE day course in anything to do with beauty therapy and be able to be proficient to work and get paid and call themselves a beauty therapist is beyond me.
Comparing opera singers to people working on others where you can actually do harm is just ridiculous.
All i can add is if i were to write a similar thread in the nail geek section that i intended to do a one day course at a wholesalers and start working doing extensions on the general public with no prior knowledge i would have been shot down.Just goes to show how low the role of a beauty therapist as a career has come ..i find it very sad.
I also think its important to work in a salon before you go out on your own if you have never done it you would be surprised at how much you learn but then we have salon geek dont we.
:lol:

blimey! glad to see that its not just hopi ear candles that cause such passionate debate!!!

I don't do waxing, but may do in the future.

I don't do facials but may do in the future. although, I do holistic facials which was a 1 day course, pre req A&P and aromatherapy certificate. I can double cleanse, tone, moisturise, use essential oils to perform a neck, shoulder and face massage. but I tell anyone that books for a holistic facial that it is not like a beauty facial.

I have done 3 years college training (swedish massage, aromatherapy massage and reflexology with A&P separate diploma). The rest of the courses that I have done (and I have done many) have been anything from 1 - 6 days long.

I personally wouldn't want to go back into an FE college, I find it time wasting as they are more interested in being PC and theory based, than working on the practical side. (I taught for 3 years in FE college to VTCT diploma level so feel that I am qualified to make that statement).

I think with short courses, is what that person INTENDS to do with their knowledge. Some short courses come with case studies before you receive your certificate, other courses you receive your cert at the end of the day.

If I go on a short course, I then undertake a certain amount of practical work experience BEFORE I put that treatment on my price list. But you will have people attend a 1 day course and the next day have that treatment on their price list.

I also personally believe that their are certain treatments that SHOULDN'T be taught and certified in one day.

Going back to the driving analogy, I have always said to people, you learn to drive, you qualify, AND then you learn to drive. Once you've got that piece of paper to say you CAN drive, WHEN do you actually sit back and think to yourself that YOU ARE A DRIVER? Each person is individual. Some people learn quickly, some people find that they have a knack with certain treatments.

Would my opinion change if I was told by the therapist that they had just attended a 1 day course the previous week in the treatment that I was about to receive. YES.

Would by opinion change if I was told by a therapist that they had attended a 1 day course say 3 years previously in the treatment that I was about to receive, then I think my answer would be NO.

Although my clients all seem happy to receive treatments from me that I have just qualified in, but its because they trust me. I recently qualified in AURICULAR ACUPUNCTURE, and place 5 needles in each ear. I sent out a voucher for people to try this new treatment and the uptake was fantastic.

Why so?

The reason I believe salon experience is a must is because of the amount of knowledge you gain from the other therapists & the extra training you receive.

I know I am a better therapist than I was when I left college, from working in salons because of the huge amount of things I have learnt since leaving, different tips & techniques, training in some of the big skincare brands I could never have done if I hadn't been employed.

I agree that you can be a good therapist without working in a salon but you can be an even better one when you have had that experience and learnt from other therapists. jmo

See what you've bloody started Susie H?? Troublemaker!! Wish we hadn't had that discussion on way to Leeds now lmao!!!

Geeks are Great hehe!!! mad!! but Great

xxx

Oh my god:eek: what have I done. All I wanted you mad lot, was a bit of advise on who/ where to get good training that would be flexible enough for me, a person with a 7 week rotating shift patten that in week 1 starts at 5am and finishes 5pm and by week 7 starts at 1pm and finishes at 1am.

After a lot of research I trained in nails with creative, 1 evening a week for 5 or 6 weeks BUT that evening was packed full of practical work and the rest of the week we were expected to practice and read.
At the end there was a practical and a theory exam, I passed the practical and failed the theory. I had to come back a week later and take the theory exam again. Passed it that time and got my certificate and was under no illusion that I was finished. It was made very clear to me right at the start that I would learn enough to go out and safely enhance peeps nails but that I would need to practice that foundation for a good 6 months before coming back for more training.

The whole sales disgusted me After my creative experience, I know that I am motivated enough to do all the theory study on my own, that I am sensible enough to make a note of my questions to ask my tutor when I next see him or her (or search on here) and that I want my tutor time to be mostly practical because its the actual proses of waxing that I need a tutor for, I've been able to read since I was 4 years old so if its in a book I don't need someone to read it to me. But I do need someone who is passionate about what they do to show me how to.

Well Wendy, they certainly are passionate:lol: a bit pron to getting het up but definitely passionate:lol:

So thank you all I have read everything you have all been kind enough to write and armed with all of your info, now feel that I am armed with enough info to find a good foundation course in waxing.:hug::hug:

Oh my god:eek: what have I done. All I wanted you mad lot, was a bit of advise on who/ where to get good training that would be flexible enough for me, a person with a 7 week rotating shift patten that in week 1 starts at 5am and finishes 5pm and by week 7 starts at 1pm and finishes at 1am.

After a lot of research I trained in nails with creative, 1 evening a week for 5 or 6 weeks BUT that evening was packed full of practical work and the rest of the week we were expected to practice and read.
At the end there was a practical and a theory exam, I passed the practical and failed the theory. I had to come back a week later and take the theory exam again. Passed it that time and got my certificate and was under no illusion that I was finished. It was made very clear to me right at the start that I would learn enough to go out and safely enhance peeps nails but that I would need to practice that foundation for a good 6 months before coming back for more training.

The whole sales disgusted me After my creative experience, I know that I am motivated enough to do all the theory study on my own, that I am sensible enough to make a note of my questions to ask my tutor when I next see him or her (or search on here) and that I want my tutor time to be mostly practical because its the actual proses of waxing that I need a tutor for, I've been able to read since I was 4 years old so if its in a book I don't need someone to read it to me. But I do need someone who is passionate about what they do to show me how to.

Well Wendy, they certainly are passionate:lol: a bit pron to getting het up but definitely passionate:lol:

So thank you all I have read everything you have all been kind enough to write and armed with all of your info, now feel that I am armed with enough info to find a good foundation course in waxing.:hug::hug:

You're welcome honey, Good Luck and Happy Christmas!!! xx :hug:

Latest posts

Back